Forum Lockedloseing job cause your hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
SxFtMahgnyCurvs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2004 at 4:19am

Even though that story is a few years old, it's still sad that ethinic hairstyles can carry a stigma in today's workplace. 

Many of my friends have resisted the urge to go natural, wear braids or weaves other than relaxed hair due to the "less than professional" image others place upon these hairstyles. 

I worked for 10 years with a company and was one of only 3 blacks in a company of 250+ employees.  My co-workers and I would go to lunch at this cafeteria where the cashier literally styled her hair according to the holiday.  For Halloween, she had a pumpkin patch; Christmas she had lights and ornaments like a tree.  Everyone always commented on how 'outrageous' her styles were.  Anytime we discussed eating there, her hair and what it would display was the topic of conversation.  

As you cang guess, she was eventually let go.  Her management requested she 'tone down' her styles and she refused to do so.  Perhaps she felt standing up for her own rights was more important?  If I had seen her again, I surely would have asked her. 

We all have our principles but providing for my family is first and foremost.  Going against company policy is never a good idea.  More than likely when you stand on personal principle you end up standing a martyr.    

Sponsored Links

ThAbAdDeStBaBy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2004 at 6:26pm
This article made me upset as well, I mean come on now. you can't wear braids nor wigs..man I can kinda see not being able to wear off the wall color in your hair like orange, purple etc. But BRAIDS. really those ppl/company need to get a life, there was nothing wrong with her hair it was presentable and all that.
BeBe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2004 at 6:50pm

"Ficklin was fired because of her repeated unwillingness to follow the company's strict appearance policy, which prevents braided or scrunched hair and is applied to all employees."

How many white women wear braids or scruched hair??????

So I don't think it was geared at white women.

BeBe

LeeshK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2004 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by BeBe BeBe wrote:

"Ficklin was fired because of her repeated unwillingness to follow the company's strict appearance policy, which prevents braided or scrunched hair and is applied to all employees."

How many white women wear braids or scruched hair??????

So I don't think it was geared at white women.

BeBe

Although I am sure not alot of white women braid their hair, alot of them do scrunch it.  I live in a basically white town, and in highschool (like 3 yrs ago) alot of girls scrunched their hair, especially if it wasn't naturally curly.  But I do agree that braids are definately aimed at black women.

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic