Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking Black?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
 

Looking Black?

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718>




The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Miss SDY View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Mar 10 2011
Location: Cloud 9 Million
Status: Offline
Points: 62698
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss SDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 1:05am
Yall stay showing out!!!!!!

I love it...
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 20 2005
Location: Chiba, Japan
Status: Offline
Points: 124408
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 1:11am
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Looking exotic =/= being mixed. Nor is it exclusive to those who have immediate mixture (i.e. each parent is a different race).

I've been asked almost all my life what I'm "mixed with" because my features according to others don't make me look "just black" - which I find HIGHLY insulting. Both my parents are black. Regardless of who's roaming further back in my family tree, I don't need the low shade insult of being told I don't look "just black" - especially by non black people.

On more than one occasion I've gone off on someone for saying something along the lines of "you're so pretty, what are you mixed with...you can't be just black?!"Angry


I nearly read this another way and I was about to give you one of these: Stern Smile

LOL LOL LOL
Back to Top
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 24 2011
Location: No1curr
Status: Offline
Points: 171016
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 1:15am
I wish I looked exotic....with that and my light skin privilege I'll be unstoppable! CoolLOL
Back to Top
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Dec 15 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 176051
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 1:22am
Model....u was about to get cussed. LOL
Back to Top
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 21 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 45046
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 1:31am
Lol you guys...haha reading is fundamental! And I mean that with love!Embarrassed

But seriously I get very pissed when white people specifically always ask me "what are you, you can't be just black"...it's the most obvious racist backhanded compliment you can give a black woman.

Like being "just black" equals looking like Mammy from Gone With the Wind...and no shade to Hattie McDaniel because she made it possible for other black actresses to get serious roles later on in life!
Back to Top
reashairjourney View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Sep 27 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 9260
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote reashairjourney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 1:58am
Back to Top
danieb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 04 2009
Location: US - Florida
Status: Offline
Points: 23925
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote danieb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 2:08am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

Originally posted by GoldieLocks GoldieLocks wrote:

Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Originally posted by GoldieLocks GoldieLocks wrote:

Your interpretation of the conversation was screwed. No one ever said that there was a problem with "claiming black" or degrading. The comment was in response to another user's comment that referenced people who faked being "Creoles" as if it made them superior. In return, we responded from a Creole view point that personally we have always felt more comfortable claiming black rather than Creole, because of people just like yourself in the black community who are hypocritical and ignorant and see a problem with people embracing anything of their mixed heritage but black.  Furthermore, next time you reach make sure there is something to reach for, wench :).




see this right here is why i need my fellow bhmers to make use of the quote because although i saw that dagger flying swiftly through the air with precision, im not quite certain whose back caught itLOL
Hopefully Tbaby's face caught it.Dead


Caught feelings here aren't mine....mad much Goldilocks?

Since Blackness comes in a  rainbow of colors, you feeling the need to keep your heritage secretive speaks more about how you think of yourself then what others think of you and your "heritage".Sleepy

You claim black because...well...you look black, right?  You possibly fall in the spectrum of lightskinnedness that we common black folk come in.  I know its a difficult concept for you to swallow, being creolish and all.  Put some hot sauce on it.  C' est la vie!






I didn't get that from her at all. I'm creole and when I'm asked, I identify as African American. What is wrong with that?
 I've seen people use it because they feel it makes them exotical, same as I've seen people use their african roots to seem exotical. 

I don't know where you get that creoles have a "superiority complex" from, but I think you took an innocent statement and ran with. All creoles aren't lightskinned, so her referencing her ethnic background was no play on being exotical & lightskin.

As far as OP goes, she does this ish all the time. She has some obsession with mixness and being mixed. As soon as I saw the thread title I knew she posted it.
Back to Top
yahya View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Mar 01 2011
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1834
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 2:20am
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Most people in the Western world have this belief that people who look alike or have the same skin-tones share the same identity and lineage by default, while the rest of the world knows that ain't the case. There are more people of color living on this planet than Caucasoids (always have been) so therefore there is no such thing as a "black country". Even before the whites started dominating everything, all of the black andf brown folks knew how to identify and differentiate each other.

Randomly adopting a place as your homeland will not guarantee finding out who you really are and your family's lineage...doesn't matter how many coloreds you're surrounded by or how well you blend in. 



this is so true! in america there is a common misconception on how race works. just because two people are from the same race doesn't mean their genetic make up is closer than someone of another race. two people can have very similar facial features, but skin tone is pretty much the defining factor of one's lineage. a lot of people also get the terms nationality, ethnicity, descent, and race mixed up. and even if one has no ties to a culture, when asked "what are you?" your identity and answer can be something you have no relation to.   
 
so going back to the topic prompt, for someone to look 100% black they would have all the stereotypical features. but this doesn't hold true in all situations. traits aren't restricted to one race. someone can be "100%" black, meaning no direct mixing, and have features that aren't all stereotypical. someone can be mixed, but have only the features of the standard black features.
 
but if she was of american or caribbean background there is more evidence that say's she's mixed due to the mixing in history. but a lot of people aren't going to consider all this, and say the first thing that comes to mind. so the person that said she looked 100% black was probably thinking that she has the same traits as the average modern day african american girl, not knowing that the majority of african americans are mixed. they could have meant 100% african american.
Back to Top
yahya View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Mar 01 2011
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1834
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 2:45am
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Originally posted by jimmy_rustle jimmy_rustle wrote:

Originally posted by loveandpeace1984 loveandpeace1984 wrote:

I'm black american and proud of it and proud of my African roots. I would love to find out about the tribes I descend from.



Visit a few African countries and adopt one as your homeland.  I highly recommend blacks, especially black Americans to spend time in a black country.  It is hard to describe but there is nothing like being black in a country, I undergo a transformation immediately after landing in Africa
This is by far the dumbest sh!t I've read in a long timeSleepy
 
I wouldn't go as far as to call it dumb, but it's... kinda weird. it's like being of native american descent. going to reservations to learn the culture of every tribe and picking one to adopt even though there is a high chance you'll choose one that isn't even of your lost heritage. can you just claim an ethnicity like that? and going so far as to call it your homeland... uh... yeah... okay, sorry, but it is kinda dumb.
Back to Top
GoldieLocks View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Dec 06 2012
Location: NYC METRO -JERS
Status: Offline
Points: 3525
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote GoldieLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 4:27am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:


Originally posted by GoldieLocks GoldieLocks wrote:


Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:


Originally posted by GoldieLocks GoldieLocks wrote:

Your interpretation of the conversation was screwed. No one ever said
that there was a problem with "claiming black" or degrading. The comment was in
response to another user's comment that referenced people who faked being "Creoles" as if it made them superior. In return, we responded from a Creole view point that personally we have always felt more comfortable claiming black rather than Creole, because of people just like yourself in the black community who are hypocritical and ignorant and see a problem with people embracing anything of their mixed heritage but black.  Furthermore, next time you reach make sure there is something to reach for, wench :).






see this right here is why i need my fellow bhmers to make use of the quote because although i saw that dagger flying swiftly through the air with precision, im not quite certain whose back caught itLOL

Hopefully Tbaby's face caught it.Dead


Caught feelings here aren't mine....mad much Goldilocks?

Since Blackness comes in a  rainbow of colors, you
feeling the need to keep your heritage secretive speaks more about how
you think of yourself
then what others think of you and your "heritage".Sleepy

You claim black because...well...you look black, right?  You possibly fall in the spectrum of lightskinnedness that we common black folk come in.  I know its a difficult concept for you to swallow, being creolish and all.  Put some hot sauce on it.  C' est la vie!






No; the mentality that is stereotypical of people such as yourself that sees people whove originated from a integrated heritage as a threat because of the ignorant connotations and favoritisms that has come along with being "Creole" in a racists Southern Society is what has compelled so many of us to not mention our heritage openly. We are well aware of who were are and proud, but feel no need to light the fires of mad angry ignorant folks such as yourself that only see black and white because it is easier for your little brain to conform to. You're claiming you're not mad but felt the need to call us "uppity" just because we feel it is less confrontational to just claim we are black BECAUSE as mentioned blacks come in all beautiful spectrums and ITS NOT THAT SERIOUS If it can help us to avoid just one variation hating booger it is well worth keeping it moving.In return, your reaction is why we don't "flaunt our heritage", because haters are always lurking with their low key modern racists concepts. A uppity creole girl mustve stole your man before. Oh well, now go take your thirsty behind a drink  
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down