Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Look towards Africans for cultural ID?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:58pm
I actually think the topic was kind of doomed from jump street. On another note, I am happy that people have taken to defending Africa.
Sponsored Links

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Lmao! Y'all are right. I need to keep my eye on the ball and remember what's most important.

Kinda OT: Who is the member that says yt people are soulless creatures?LOL

Yes hunty - get your priorities skraight.

IDK who said that but my mom actually believes the story of Yacub.  As far as she's concerned they were made in an oven by an evil scientist and they have no souls.  But fear not, she hates black people to but at least we have souls.  Duh. 

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Jul 28 2013 at 4:06pm
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 4:07pm
lol kfoxx. After what you told me about mamakfoxx, I'm not about to even think of correcting her about the black folk part. At all.

And Lima, IA. It's a nice change of pace in TTT.Big smile
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

lol she lied to you. Skin color is still a major issue but I don't like how some are portraying AA's as less inclined to be swayed by European images or as if the AA community is more accepting of their blackness. Sorry, I just had to call bullsheit on that. 

You can call bullsh!t on it all you want. The fact of the matter is that all of it results from centuries of rape, robbery, murder, lies and oppression from crakkkas. Lets not forget that.

Edited by blaquefoxx - Jul 28 2013 at 4:10pm
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

When I was in Senegal I was dating this guy and I was asking him can you tell me about Senegal before it was invaded by the muslims he said "I dont know we were all drunk and ignorant" my mouth droped to the floor and it was at the moment I knew he was LOST!

Ha ha!

Well I personally think Black Americans have the lead in the diaspora about accepting themselves and embracing their blackness.  IMO, outside of America, especially in Africa and parts of Latin America, self-hatred is the norm.  It's not questioned.  Its just understood European is superior to black in every way imaginable. 
Caribbean people are just as accepting, i've seen some dress in traditional african type clothing i don't see that with american blacks. IA with some latin american countries though. 

That.

femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

I actually think the topic was kind of doomed from jump street. On another note, I am happy that people have taken to defending Africa.

Giiirl all day every day. 
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 4:15pm
cc that woman is crazy.  If a white person says something about blacks she's ready to get her knife out.  I just let her do her, took me years to realize she's bipolarLOL

uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 4:39pm
See things got interesting here.

I stand by my statement.  Black Americans have the advantage of living amongst whites and constantly being reminded that no matter how attractive they are, no matter how successful they are, and no matter how much they assimilate to mainstream white culture, whites still look down on them for the simple fact that they are black.  The self hate phenomenon started being addressed in their community long ago with the Black Power movement and things of that nature because they are face-to-face with their haters everyday.

Africans are isolated from this kind of interaction so they feel more comfortable in their self hatred.  Ask a Black American how many members of their family currently bleach or have bleached in the past.  Now ask an African.  I'm pretty sure I have at least a dozen members in my family I can name.  That is the norm in Nigeria and many African countries.

People who are isolated from perpetual racism don't feel like they need to address internalized self-hate because they only receive positive reactions from it.  You wear green contacts, 24 inches of Brazilian hair, and bleach your skin in Nigeria, the reaction is "you go girl, you looking good."  You do the same in the US and white people will turn up their nose at you the same way they would any other black woman.  So what's the sense in giving them ammunition and hating yourself while they hate you too?

Yeah they have their issues too, but they are (and have been) trying to address them for some time now. 

Edited by uppitynegroid - Jul 28 2013 at 7:54pm
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 3:47am
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

See things got interesting here.

I stand by my statement.  Black Americans have the advantage of living amongst whites and constantly being reminded that no matter how attractive they are, no matter how successful they are, and no matter how much they assimilate to mainstream white culture, whites still look down on them for the simple fact that they are black.  The self hate phenomenon started being addressed in their community long ago with the Black Power movement and things of that nature because they are face-to-face with their haters everyday.

Africans are isolated from this kind of interaction so they feel more comfortable in their self hatred.  Ask a Black American how many members of their family currently bleach or have bleached in the past.  Now ask an African.  I'm pretty sure I have at least a dozen members in my family I can name.  That is the norm in Nigeria and many African countries.

People who are isolated from perpetual racism don't feel like they need to address internalized self-hate because they only receive positive reactions from it.  You wear green contacts, 24 inches of Brazilian hair, and bleach your skin in Nigeria, the reaction is "you go girl, you looking good."  You do the same in the US and white people will turn up their nose at you the same way they would any other black woman.  So what's the sense in giving them ammunition and hating yourself while they hate you too?

Yeah they have their issues too, but they are (and have been) trying to address them for some time now. 

What a load of sh*te..

Clearly you need to spend more time in Africa before you speak on Africans being isolated from " this type of racism"

And the fact that you talk about self hate and that not being a consequence of racism for Africans is ludicrous

Or maybe this is just a Nigerian phenomena you speak on.. ..
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 12:04pm

well well well...so self hate does seem to always circle back to longing/wishing for yt/euro acceptance...

the sooner we say f*ck them, everything they think and thier entire history, the better off we will be...

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Jul 29 2013 at 12:05pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System