BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Look towards Africans for cultural ID?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:32pm
My sister is really into African movies and often forces me to watch them with herDead.  The plots are usually awful, acting is worse and the thing I hate is that every woman in the movie has a perm and tight clothes.   I'm always thinking they shouldn't mimic certain parts of our AA image, hair perming was number one but I never thought about that bugged me.  I will say I know that these movies probably represented the worse but the same is true of how only a subset of what we are is represented in Hollywood. 

Anyhoo, I blame the perming of Afro-textured hair and almost everything wrong, everywhere on white EuropeansLOL

Sponsored Links

_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

nigguhs run into ten nigguhs in africa who dont like kinky hair

then alluvasudden the billion plus africans be cooning

that sh*t is hilarious maaaan!!
No one said every African is a coon. 

Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:49pm
I can't be mad at the posters that are argumentative. I guess they are defensive when people are critical of Africa. That is commendable. Let's talk about what we like about Africa, since sharing natural hair stories seems to strike a nerve with people.

There are a ton of self-acceptance issues Africans don't struggle with. For instance, despite the bleaching issue, I think Africans are more accepting for African features (dark skin, full lips, a broad nose, etc). As another poster said, it is wonderful to be in a place and see people that look like you and a standard of beauty that can be attained in magazines, on billboards, in movies, on television. I LOOOOOOOOOVE the music, and everywhere I've been in Africa the music is everywhere (in the streets, in the stores). Something about Africa is whimsical (for me). I instantly felt warmth and happiness. I loved the bustling streets, the music in the air, the periodic call the prayer, the religious diversity, the joy of the people, the style, and the food. It is nice to not be the racial minority, for once.

Edited by Limalady - Jul 28 2013 at 2:51pm
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:51pm
@ Lim - I love the food.  YumHeart
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Wait so the majority actually believe that Africans are more accepting of European norms than other blacks?

I would be hard pressed to find an African who would dig centuries into their lineage to find one drop of non-African blood...or who cling onto their great great great grandmother's daugther's pet rodent's chew toy being half Native American just to feel some sense of worthiness

Point being every group has its flaws.

All of the Africans with the exception of a few that I have met have been proudly African but have unfortunately succumbed to European standards of beauty, living, etc etc just like the rest of the diaspora.
They don't have to. Most Africans have an identity of who their are, their lineage, tribes and where they came from.
Negroes in the Americas don't.

Earlier this week, this high yella lady from Mozambique boldly told us that us AA's are the only ones who make colorism and racism an issue. "In Africa, we don't worry about that". Come to find out this bish dad is white and came from a well to do family. Words couldn't describe how badly I wanted to choke a bishStern Smile

Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

@ Lim - I love the food.  YumHeart

Me too! I went to a restaurant where they took a catfish out of the fish tank by hand, and cooked it on an open fire (mixed it with spices and potatoes). It was amazing! The fruit is the best I've ever had. I had a house person that got me fresh mangoes every day. There was a big push toward fresh eating when I was there, so there were smoothie shops everywhere. The smoothies were pretty good too.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Wait so the majority actually believe that Africans are more accepting of European norms than other blacks?

I would be hard pressed to find an African who would dig centuries into their lineage to find one drop of non-African blood...or who cling onto their great great great grandmother's daugther's pet rodent's chew toy being half Native American just to feel some sense of worthiness

Point being every group has its flaws.

All of the Africans with the exception of a few that I have met have been proudly African but have unfortunately succumbed to European standards of beauty, living, etc etc just like the rest of the diaspora.
<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">They don't have to. Most Africans have an identity of who their are, their lineage, tribes and where they came from.
Negroes in the Americas don't.

Earlier this week, this high yella lady from Mozambique boldly told us that us AA's are the only ones who make colorism and racism an issue. "In Africa, we don't worry about that". Come to find out this bish dad is white and came from a well to do family. Words couldn't describe how badly I wanted to choke a bishStern Smile

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

well,

you coulda fooled me
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:13pm
My sisters bf is African and a few months ago he bought a goat and some chickens from the African market.  She was good with the chickens but they only got to cook one because the Asians next door stole some of them.

She felt too sorry for the goat and let him go after a few days.  He was so madLOL.  Now he has to get all of his meat from the African butcher or hide them from her because she is so emotional about the goats. 

She's young though.  I was like girl yo momma is from Virginia.  You're too young to remember all the stories about her bringing home live animals.  Nothing tastes more delicious than FRESH MEATLOL
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

I just don't see the point is disputing the obvious. Anyone who has been to Africa, who watches African movies, who knows African people will tell you that natural hair is not common. It isn't a big deal. I'm sure over time it will become more accepted, but just dismissing people's life experience and personal accounts as anecdotal just seems argumentative for no reason to me. Confused I'm not trying to start a beef. I'm just saying.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>