Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Look towards Africans for cultural ID?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:02am
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

Why are people so invested in having other people act the way they want them to? Can't people just live? So because someone is African they should automatically be pro natural hair? Who's really prejudiced here....

No. They don't have to be pro natural hair. No one has to like natural hair, but at least at a hair salon they shouldn't be clowning you for it. The concept should be reasonable enough that the entire salon doesn't stop to come and look at your hair or people shouldn't routinely question why your hair is natural. I don't know, seems reasonable enough to me anyway. 

What I'm wondering is why this should be expected more in Africa than elsewhere.... I got told I should relax my natural hair in a salon in NYC... that will happen anywhere you find ignorant people, to which Africa is not immune...
You are expecting Africans, a whole continent, to act a certain way, based on nothing more than your pre-conceived ideas on how they should act, and if they don't , it's self hate...

You will find people from all walks of life, with all types of values from Africa, its a freaking continent with over a billion people....

I think you've missed the point, and that is ok.
Sponsored Links

JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:03am
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Why are people so invested in having other people act the way they want them to? Can't people just live? So because someone is African they should automatically be pro natural hair? Who's really prejudiced here....

Its one thing to expect to walk out of the plane and see a crowd of people wearing dashikis with pet monkeys on their shoulders, and its another thing entirely to expect an African woman not find her own hair texture unsightly.  Yeah, stereotypes are unfair, but expecting Africans to be accepting of their hair texture, skin shade or eye color is totally reasonable.

Shouldn't be limited to Africans, thats the point I'm making... Why are we singling out Africa? I live in a predominantly black nation and I still get ignorant comments about my natural hair... As i said ignorant people are everywhere

And the fact that anyone would think Africa is immune to the effects of the worldwide propaganda that holds European women as the standard of beauty is laughable.  Show me one nation it hasn't touched....

Skin bleaching in India
Double eyelid surgery in parts of Asia etc

Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:05am
This thread is about Africa. We were sharing experiences about Africa. That is why we only sited examples in Africa.
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:12am

What I'm wondering is why this should be expected more in Africa than elsewhere.... I got told I should relax my natural hair in a salon in NYC... that will happen anywhere you find ignorant people, to which Africa is not immune...
You are expecting Africans, a whole continent, to act a certain way, based on nothing more than your pre-conceived ideas on how they should act, and if they don't , it's self hate...

You will find people from all walks of life, with all types of values from Africa, its a freaking continent with over a billion people....

There are just so many inferences made in this post that were not stated or even implied. No one said that Africa should be immune from European or American influence. No one suggested that Africans were a monolithic group. As Africans, most of us understand the varying ideas and viewpoints of Africans. Nigeria alone has over 200 tribes. The experiences shared in this thread were rooted in a desire that even more viewpoints and ideas will be shared and accepted in Africa. If this thread was about Europe or America, then those same desires and experiences would be shared about Europe or America, but this thread is about Africa.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:12am
I brought up other cultures  since I was highlighting that all cultures are affected by the world holding up European women as the standard of beauty.... couldn't really argue the point of it affecting all cultures if I only mentioned one....
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:15am
we talk about self hate in America all the damn time and no one ever plays the "but others do it too" card.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:19am

There are just so many inferences made in this post that were not stated or even implied. No one said that Africa should be immune from European or American influence. No one suggested that Africans were a monolithic group. As Africans, most of us understand the varying ideas and viewpoints of Africans. Nigeria alone has over 200 tribes. The experiences shared in this thread were rooted in a desire that even more viewpoints and ideas will be shared and accepted in Africa. If this thread was about Europe or America, then those same desires and experiences would be shared about Europe or America, but this thread is about Africa.

Referring to "Africans" and "Mama Africa" does not provoke thoughts of diversity,................. but anyway, if it is commonly understood that Africans are as influenced by Americans and Europeans as anyone else, why the confusion as to how some Africans are so Europeanised?Confused
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:23am
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

we talk about self hate in America all the damn time and no one ever plays the "but others do it too" card.

Actually I've seen people doing it on here...

To be clear, I am not advocating self hate

I just dont get why people thought Africans would have less self hate than the next person of colour, and I am merely suggesting that some peoples views of Africa when it comes to cultural identification are ill conceived and overly romanticised...
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:28am

There are just so many inferences made in this post that were not stated or even implied. No one said that Africa should be immune from European or American influence. No one suggested that Africans were a monolithic group. As Africans, most of us understand the varying ideas and viewpoints of Africans. Nigeria alone has over 200 tribes. The experiences shared in this thread were rooted in a desire that even more viewpoints and ideas will be shared and accepted in Africa. If this thread was about Europe or America, then those same desires and experiences would be shared about Europe or America, but this thread is about Africa.

Referring to "Africans" and "Mama Africa" does not provoke thoughts of diversity,................. but anyway, if it is commonly understood that Africans are as influenced by Americans and Europeans as anyone else, why the confusion as to how some Africans are so Europeanised?Confused

No one is confused or surprised. Some simply expressed a desire for Africans to have more pride in Africa. That includes African products, the African culture, and yes African beauty.
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:38am
I will say, I wasn't surprised that my hair was uncommon. I did find it interesting that everyone thought my hair texture was so strange. Nigerians are really into Brazilian hair right now too. I came there with Kinky Straight hair, and my cousin asked why I would every buy hair like that. I wasn't bothered by that though. There are women on the board who feel the same way, so it isn't a strange view. As it's been said before, no one has to life your hair.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>