Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Look towards Africans for cultural ID?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:28am
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

What I'm wondering is why this should be expected more in Africa than elsewhere.... I got told I should relax my natural hair in a salon in NYC... that will happen anywhere you find ignorant people, to which Africa is not immune...
You are expecting Africans, a whole continent, to act a certain way, based on nothing more than your pre-conceived ideas on how they should act, and if they don't , it's self hate...

You will find people from all walks of life, with all types of values from Africa, its a freaking continent with over a billion people....

There are just so many inferences made in this post that were not stated or even implied. No one said that Africa should be immune from European or American influence. No one suggested that Africans were a monolithic group. As Africans, most of us understand the varying ideas and viewpoints of Africans. Nigeria alone has over 200 tribes. The experiences shared in this thread were rooted in a desire that even more viewpoints and ideas will be shared and accepted in Africa. If this thread was about Europe or America, then those same desires and experiences would be shared about Europe or America, but this thread is about Africa.

Referring to "Africans" and "Mama Africa" does not provoke thoughts of diversity,................. but anyway, if it is commonly understood that Africans are as influenced by Americans and Europeans as anyone else, why the confusion as to how some Africans are so Europeanised?Confused

No one is confused or surprised. Some simply expressed a desire for Africans to have more pride in Africa. That includes African products, the African culture, and yes African beauty.
Sponsored Links

Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 12:38am
I will say, I wasn't surprised that my hair was uncommon. I did find it interesting that everyone thought my hair texture was so strange. Nigerians are really into Brazilian hair right now too. I came there with Kinky Straight hair, and my cousin asked why I would every buy hair like that. I wasn't bothered by that though. There are women on the board who feel the same way, so it isn't a strange view. As it's been said before, no one has to life your hair.
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 1:22am
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

When I was in Senegal I was dating this guy and I was asking him can you tell me about Senegal before it was invaded by the muslims he said "I dont know we were all drunk and ignorant" my mouth droped to the floor and it was at the moment I knew he was LOST!

Ha ha!

Well I personally think Black Americans have the lead in the diaspora about accepting themselves and embracing their blackness.  IMO, outside of America, especially in Africa and parts of Latin America, self-hatred is the norm.  It's not questioned.  Its just understood European is superior to black in every way imaginable. 
Caribbean people are just as accepting, i've seen some dress in traditional african type clothing i don't see that with american blacks. IA with some latin american countries though. 
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 1:33am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

I'm hoping to go to Nigeria (for the first time) in the not-too-distant future and here I am with my dark skin, natural hair and love of all things African and traditional...oh wellLOL Cool
could you imagine a BHM meet up there thoughDead errbody including kocky would look lost
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

I'm hoping to go to Nigeria (for the first time) in the not-too-distant future and here I am with my dark skin, natural hair and love of all things African and traditional...oh wellLOL Cool
could you imagine a BHM meet up there thoughDead errbody including kocky would look lost
lost?

i dont think..

dont let the chris eubank swag fool you,

im still very much african through and through lovey
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 2:57am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

I don't understand where this is going.
We should be cool with Africans hating themselves because AA do too?
is that what was said?

That's what I inferred from what you said. 
Please clarify.
no. that chick said africans hold beauty and hair standard from europeans, i was clarifying that they take their hair cues from aa women, my comment was not lets absolve them of their alleged cooning
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 8:22am
Sooo much insight from soo many people who've never lived there. Africans have self hate issues just like the rest of the dispora but this underlying theme that AA are somehow more proud to be black because Africans are soo self hating needs to go. Both groups are equally tainted. In Africa I can watch TV and see black people who look like me the majority of the time. That's a rarity here and it's not because dark AAs don't exist. It's becauae the community devalues us more than in the African community. But, in the US I see many more naturals walking around and that's because Africans have a general idea that their hair is ugly.

Same ish different continent.
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 8:41am

is that what was said?

Please clarify.
no. that chick said africans hold beauty and hair standard from europeans, i was clarifying that they take their hair cues from aa women, my comment was not lets absolve them of their alleged cooning

Splitting hairs, but not what I said. I don't think they actively hold beauty and hair standard from europeans....but they are passively affected by the world holding white women as the standard of beauty...
people dont even acknowledge that is what is happening, which is why you get people with silky weaves, bleached out skins and contacts swearing fo God that they arent coons and love being black...
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 8:53am

Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

lost?

i dont think..

dont let the chris eubank swag fool you,

im still very much african through and through lovey
chriss eubankDead
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 8:58am

is that what was said?

Please clarify.

Splitting hairs, but not what I said. I don't think they actively hold beauty and hair standard from europeans....but they are passively affected by the world holding white women as the standard of beauty...
people dont even acknowledge that is what is happening, which is why you get people with silky weaves, bleached out skins and contacts swearing fo God that they arent coons and love being black...
i was referring to lima
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>