Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedLook towards Africans for cultural ID?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Look towards Africans for cultural ID?
    Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:08pm
It has taken me so long to realize this? The African people that I have met so far are so Europeanized... and the problem with Black American is we are also... but then we become disillusioned with "Mama Africa" dont get me wrong I sitll love Black people but we need help in learning how to embrace our own beauty,knowladge and cultures and embrace
the truth there is no Spoon~
Sponsored Links

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:14pm
lol

Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:15pm
I actually agree. It is expected in the US or Europe, but in Africa there is a trend toward a preference for all things foreign. When I was in Nigeria I wanted authentic  clothing, jewelry, and movies, and the people I was with were like, "Why do you want those things?" Confused Well, because it is unlike anything anywhere in the world.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:21pm
When I was in Senegal I was dating this guy and I was asking him can you tell me about Senegal before it was invaded by the muslims he said "I dont know we were all drunk and ignorant" my mouth droped to the floor and it was at the moment I knew he was LOST!
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

When I was in Senegal I was dating this guy and I was asking him can you tell me about Senegal before it was invaded by the muslims he said "I dont know we were all drunk and ignorant" my mouth droped to the floor and it was at the moment I knew he was LOST!

Ha ha!

Well I personally think Black Americans have the lead in the diaspora about accepting themselves and embracing their blackness.  IMO, outside of America, especially in Africa and parts of Latin America, self-hatred is the norm.  It's not questioned.  Its just understood European is superior to black in every way imaginable. 
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:28pm
eh???
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:29pm
fighting words
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

When I was in Senegal I was dating this guy and I was asking him can you tell me about Senegal before it was invaded by the muslims he said "I dont know we were all drunk and ignorant" my mouth droped to the floor and it was at the moment I knew he was LOST!

Ha ha!

Well I personally think Black Americans have the lead in the diaspora about accepting themselves and embracing their blackness.  IMO, outside of America, especially in Africa and parts of Latin America, self-hatred is the norm.  It's not questioned.  Its just understood European is superior to black in every way imaginable. 

Oh my goodness! Yes! I got braids in Nigeria (I have natural hair). The lady braiding my hair complained and ridiculed me so much for it. "Ah! Yo har is sooo kinky. Why you no deh relax." It was crazy. I then understood how my mom could perm my hair at 3. It is the norm there. Straight hair is beautiful, natural hair is ugly, light skin is pretty, etc. It is interesting how Africa has accepted so much European influence.
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

and you know what's really ironic and sad? 

all of those things which some Africans look down on or take for granted are praised and seen as novelties and (re-appropriated for gullible white folks who want to be "different"Sleepy) in the west...everything from "ethnic printed fabrics (Ermm)" to baby-wearing to the music, waist-beads etc.

I hate that. I have a White acquaintance that went to Tanzania last summer, and that b!tch swears she speaks Swahili. She wears African print clothes, earrings, and bengals. For some reason it rubs me the wrong way.
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

When I was in Senegal I was dating this guy and I was asking him can you tell me about Senegal before it was invaded by the muslims he said "I dont know we were all drunk and ignorant" my mouth droped to the floor and it was at the moment I knew he was LOST!

Ha ha!

Oh my goodness! Yes! I got braids in Nigeria (I have natural hair). The lady braiding my hair complained and ridiculed me so much for it. "Ah! Yo har is sooo kinky. Why you no deh relax." It was crazy. I then understood how my mom could perm my hair at 3. It is the norm there. Straight hair is beautiful, natural hair is ugly, light skin is pretty, etc. It is interesting how Africa has accepted so much European influence.

Every time they ask this I want to punch them in their face, I swear!  The last time I got my braids done, it was the most magical experience.  She knew how to blow dry natural hair and it was so straight and it didn't hurt at all.  She complained and rolled her eyes the entire time though. LOL
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic