Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2017 at 6:42am
I also ordered Extension Release, which is a solvent based glue remover. This one had EXCELLENT reviews as far as removing all glue from your own hair without any hair loss. Remember, I also use Robert Dymond Protect and Shield on my hair to serve as a barrier between my hair and the adhesives. I enjoy wearing my unit up to 2 months at a time. This time, my hair is wrapped with gel under neath. Next time, I will go back to cornrows with the oil and acacia powder ointment in my natural hair. I believe the hair must be braided underneath, instead of just wrapped, if you plan to go swimming.  The wrapped hair will tangle and mat underneath if it is not orderly contained within braids once it gets wet. PS I use a hooded dryer to fully dry my hair underneath of my unit if it gets wet,  to avoid it staying moist and growing mold. REMEMBER, Shima, also says that she grew her booty length hair by keeping it contained and protected in protective styles for extended periods. She says extended periods means at least a month or two at a time. For me, atm, oiled cornrows under a lace wig is the ticket! This also means  I can go as blonde as #613 without damaging my own hair. I can keep my own hair chemical free underneath  while still wearing the looks I love.
\
The $2.00 blow dryer hooded attachment works excellently to dry my hair underneath of the unit. I keep the blow dryer on low and alternate between the warm air and using the cool air button on the blow dryer, every few seconds to keep the temperature well modulated and comfy. I leave the ends of the unit hanging down outside of the bonnet to allow them to dry naturally to extend the life of the unit. Again, I only use the dryer to completely dry MY hair underneath of my unit when it gets wet to avoid growth of mold.

Edited by LadyAradia - Feb 15 2017 at 7:39am
Sponsored Links

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2017 at 9:37am
My 1/4 pound of acacia gum powder arrived. I have a 5 pound block of raw shea butter from ebay in the kitchen for the past few years

(I ordered powder only, no crystals)
You will need to start by dissolving the ACACIA Powder in equal amounts or slightly more HOT WATER. Once the acacia powder is fully DISSOLVED and blended into a thick, viscous solution, you may slowly blend in melted shea and oil blends with your essential oils.
Spirit is telling me to use approximately 3/4 cup of shea butter with about 1/4 cup of oil of choice (coconut oil or red palm, and mustard oils)and at least 4 tablespoons of the acacia gum powder, heated and dissolved together. I will probably use at least 8 tbspns of the acacia powder but I will do it by feel to get a consistency that resonates with me as I am heating it over the stove. The ointment will be poured into a glass jar, allowed to cool and stored. This will be used to rebraid my hair before my next install to replicate the women of Mbalantu's technique that this thread is about.
I am looking for this to be a protective, nourishing growth strategy, not a miracle growth ointment. Its purpose is to protect and nourish the braided or wrapped hair while I am doing protective styles with my natural hair for length retention. It will most likely need to be re-heated before application so it will be soft enough to work with and apply to the hair. I plan to apply this to slightly damp hair and cornrow it for moisture retention and a longer term, wax-like protective coating for the hair. This will hopefully stay intact through swimming. I mean 1-2 months personally when I say long term. I do NOT want to go over 2 months between my lace installs personally.
You may also add 10% sulfur powder to make it more of a growth stimulant. I will also add an essential oil of choice. I am feeling inspired to go with peppermint oil for a cooling effect during Summer. Rosemary essential oil is also great for hair growth. This will be washed out when the braids are taken down between protective styles.
This will effectively be like 2 products. It will be like Robert Dymond Protect and shield, but Robert Dymond dissolves in water so it will not work at all for swimming. It is also like using either Let's Jam Gel or Curls Control Paste to braid the hair. However, this will take those to the next level by being heavier and more wax-like to stay in the hair and protect it even through swimming, heat and washing units. Remember to use a hooded dryer on low to completely dry the natural hair to avoid growth of mold.
I used gel this time, but gel is drying to the hair while this will contain shea butter and natural oils. The acacia gum powder will provide the  protective mantle depending on how much you add to your heating oils. 
Apparently this becomes very hard in the hair and you can rinse it with cool water and it will not come out at all.  It will come out when you rinse with HOT water. But again, make sure you have your hair braided the way you want it to be protected, because you can not comb the hair once this dries or cools in the hair. It becomes like plastered with the oily resin product. Do not try to comb it or it will break off. Take it out with hot water.
Others also already consider acacia highly beneficial with oil for the hair. However, I hope to tap into some of the resinous properties as well for a protective mantle product.

Here are some other uses of acacia 

Edited by LadyAradia - Feb 20 2017 at 1:42pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2017 at 8:13pm
OK I found a source that tells us EXACTLY how to make this.
You take:
 4 parts of your melted shea butter and oils
2 parts of hot water
1 part of acacia powder

And you vigorously GRIND them in a large mortar and pestle until a thick crackling paste is achieved. More  hot water and melted oils may then be added to loosen it further.  And it supposedly takes about 3 - 4 minutes of vigorous grinding in the mortar and pestle to make this emulsion. Let it cool in a jar for storage. 
The more you thin it the less hard and resinous it will dry. If you pass a certain point, it will have no holding power under water and will just be a temporary hot oil, conditioner and not a protective mantle barrier at all. So it may be diluted to a variety of degrees for different uses.
source:
http://pharmlabs.unc.edu/labs/emulsions/continental.htm

This type of huge, 6" wide stone guacamole mortar and pestle may be obtained at a latino market or ebay for about $20.00-$30.00

PS I now have it highly diluted with oil in my dry, bleached out, Chinese haired wig. It is serving as an excellent oil emulsion treatment for the dried out  straw like hair. 
I will use a slightly less diluted form when I braid my hair so it will dry slightly hard / resinous, and be more cool water resistant and I can wash my unit and swim without  my hair underneath being effected by the chlorine salt water, etc.

Edited by LadyAradia - Feb 21 2017 at 8:45pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2017 at 5:12am
What I failed to mention above is that you start with the 4 parts oil and 1 part acacia powder first in the mortar and pestle. Once that is blended well, then you add the 2 parts water at once and grind it vigorously all together to get the crackling paste mentioned above. This may be compared to making a basic roux base in cooking which can later be thinned out more to make your gravy.
So my first batch I made by combining the powder and water first then tried to add the oil. The pharma company says to blend the melted oils into the acacia powder FIRST then go in with the water to get it to blend well. I will do updates with some photos of the process and product perhaps. Apparently this is called the Continental method and the method I used at first is called the English method. There is also a bottle method and a few other methods of blending oils with water and acacia powder to make an emulsion. The more resinous product will probably mean adding less oil.

Edited by LadyAradia - Feb 22 2017 at 5:31am
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2017 at 7:05am
I shampooed my hair after having it gelled in a wrap under my wig for over a month It felt so good to shampoo and condition my hair. I had quite a bit of shedding of long strands which I would have lost on a daily basis after having hard clear gel on my hair in a wrap for a month with Robert Dymond Protect and shield on top. Gel has always been drying on my hair and not good for it at all as far as growth. For me, natural oils are the winning ticket. The good thing is there were no braids to undo. I just got in the shower and rinsed for  1/2 hour and the hair came down out of the wrap on its own. I personally DO want to wrap my hair again this month. However, I will not be using gel. I will use this shea butter coconut oil, mustard oil and red palm oil mixture with a little acacia powder as illustrated in this thread with some skin color wig caps. The same will work of course it you cornrow your hair. I will use the elastic bands sewn about at the side part area on each side. I will also look for some ear tabs to sew in  so I can take it off more frequently this time. I will also get some CareFree Curl Instant Moisturizer or glycerine, water and Hello Hydration to spray on the parched wig hair. I conditioned it with hello hydration and mustard oil and let her air dry over night. She is slowly starting to feel less straw like. I think I will get her some Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner too. I like using the mustard oil with conditioner and a hot cap and just rinsing it out and air drying. That also helps the dry unit hair. But I think the Care Free Curl Instant Moisturizer spray will really make her feel soft and luxurious instead of straw-lie. I do not use curling irons so that will work. I go for very natural air dried looks. You can not use that product if you use heat on the hair to style it.

Edited by LadyAradia - Feb 24 2017 at 7:17am
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2017 at 7:38pm
I think I am going to be brave and try  a synthetic lace front wig because I want to save my human full lace and not wear it too much. Also, I do NOT want to swim in a human hair wig and risk frying it in salt water or chlorine. SO, here are some videos on how to work with synthetic wigs masterfully!
This one is on how to make a dead synthetic wig look brand new, shiny and alive again! I found out you can
get a steamer on ebay for about $16

This one is how to give one the kind of beach waves my natural hair has that I've GOT to have!

This is going to be SO perfect for the beach and the pool and the style stays in a synthetic hair when it gets wet so you will get out the pool and your hair will dry looking perfectly styled ! LOL

Edited by LadyAradia - Mar 05 2017 at 7:45pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2017 at 4:10pm

Edited by LadyAradia - Mar 06 2017 at 4:12pm
Jamillah81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamillah81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 7:00am
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

I think I am going to be brave and try  a synthetic lace front wig because I want to save my human full lace and not wear it too much. Also, I do NOT want to swim in a human hair wig and risk frying it in salt water or chlorine. SO, here are some videos on how to work with synthetic wigs masterfully!
This one is on how to make a dead synthetic wig look brand new, shiny and alive again! I found out you can
get a steamer on ebay for about $16

This one is how to give one the kind of beach waves my natural hair has that I've GOT to have!

This is going to be SO perfect for the beach and the pool and the style stays in a synthetic hair when it gets wet so you will get out the pool and your hair will dry looking perfectly styled ! LOL

Thanks for this! I need a good beach wig.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2018 at 2:13pm
I don't think wearing a wig for that while was a good thing for me after all. I thought of it as a protective style. But my hair length has stayed the same for a long time now. I wore a human hair wig for a couple months during the winter about a year ago. It lead to me forgetting my healthy hair maintenance routine when I took it off.  So for me, I have decided to just stick with wearing my OWN hair in a protective bun or a braid or two,  so that I can get back onto my nightly oiling, inversions, massage. Another thing that I think hurt me was that I have been vegan for a few years. While I do like the plant based diet, I do think I need small amounts of fish and fish oils in my plant based diet for optimal hair hair growth. I am back at it but  I personally do not want to use a wig as a protective style because it makes me hair lazy and my hair suffers from the neglect.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic