Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

London Estate Agents Secret No Blacks Signs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: London Estate Agents Secret No Blacks Signs
    Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 4:40pm

Estate agents in London admit to discriminating against black people looking for a home in the private rental market, an undercover sting has revealed.

During a BBC Inside Out investigation, 10 letting agents in north-west London said they would be willing to comply with landlords' demands not to let property to African-Caribbean people.

Speaking to an undercover reporter, all 10 said while they could not openly bar black people, they could use underhand methods which would prevent them from renting the flat, including not calling them back or pretending it was already under offer.

One letting agent adds that virtually all of their landlords do not want to let their properties to Afro-Caribbean or "troublesome people".

During the programme, one black researcher is denied a viewing at a property, while his white counterpart was shown around.

It is illegal for businesses to refuse to provide a service based on ethnicity under the Equality Act 2010.

The programme-makers attempted to show how agents descriminate by letting a three-bedroom flat in north Kensington.

One lettings manager at A to Z Property Services, in Dollis Hill, was filmed saying: "We cannot be shown discriminating against a community. But obviously we've got our ways around that.

"99% of my landlords don't want Afro-Caribbeans or any troublesome people."

The lettings manager at National Estate Agents, Willesden, added: "When someone [African-Caribbean] comes in, we won't advise them of this property.

"Even if it does get [asked about] we make up an excuse, to be honest with you."

Inside Out London producer Guy Lynn explained how this problem may occur across the UK. He said: "I spoke to lawyers, letting agents, landlords, they all said that this was something that was incredibly easy and very common for letting agents to do and particularly at the moment, in a landlord's market.

"Many of them seemed to think it was OK because they were hiding behind the 'I got asked to do it' argument. We focused on a section of west London, but numerous other reports and stories came through to me that this is a problem that is taking place across the UK."

Rob Berkeley, director of race equality think-tank Runnymede, said: "It's shocking that in 2013 outright racism is stopping people from finding a home.

"Many people think the days of landlords hanging 'No Blacks' signs outside properties are long gone - but discrimination clearly still exists."

London Estate Agents' Secret 'No Blacks' Signs - IBTimes UK

Brownsugar1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brownsugar1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 4:43pm
No words...
nothing new
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 4:46pm
Yup nothing new. 

My friend had a monster time trying to rent in Surrey. I would have thought London would have been a bit  better but hey, I had hope. 

Edited by zsazsa - Oct 14 2013 at 4:47pm
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 4:53pm
Institutional racism is alive and well
Soratachi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Soratachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 4:59pm
Rotten arseholes!! The lot of them.
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 5:00pm
Not surprised...

Let them have their own sh*t...

I'm beginning to want it that way anyway.
BrownQtee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrownQtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 5:03pm
A damn shame. I couldn't imagine working my ass off to make a good living, only to be denied housing because of my skin color. smfh.
Prtybrwneye_z View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prtybrwneye_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 5:03pm
smh...sad
FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 5:15pm
Quote It is illegal for businesses to refuse to provide a service based on ethnicity under the Equality Act 2010.

Stern Smile
gabi03 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote gabi03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

Quote <font face="Arial">It is illegal for businesses to refuse to provide a service based on ethnicity under the Equality Act 2010.

Stern Smile

Yea I peeped that too, is that a typo?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon