Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - London Activists Destroy "Anti Homeless Spikes"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

London Activists Destroy "Anti Homeless Spikes"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 3:13pm
What percentage of homeless people are mentally ill?
Sponsored Links

CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 3:17pm
in yg's defence, perhaps she went to the affluent areas of london? 

...london has always had a problem with homelessness..it's just got much much worse in recent years
creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Would you want homeless people sleeping on your porch?

Nope. I don't mind talking to homeless people and asking them not to do things like sleep on my porch. I wouldn't put spikes on my porch.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 3:20pm

not a lot

because our healthcare system will house the mentally ill

so in a uk sense, its better to be mentally ill. you'll get housed
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

in yg's defence, perhaps she went to the affluent areas of london? 

...london has always had a problem with homelessness..it's just got much much worse in recent years
oddly you see more homeless in the westend than anywhere else

but it has gotten worse
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

not a lot

because our healthcare system will house the mentally ill

so in a uk sense, its better to be mentally ill. you'll get housed

this is interesting because in the u.s its usually associated with mental illness and drug addiction.

Edited by tatee - Jun 15 2014 at 3:45pm
Spokenword View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Spokenword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 4:06pm
people just seem to associate homelessness with the people you see on the street begging for change.  people who are mentally ill and addicted.  that is just a small percentage to a much larger problem. but its easier to go with the sterotype of what homelessness looks like.

the fastest growing group of homelessness in the US right now is youth (18-21) group due to kids aging out of foster care, parents kick them out, can no longer afford to house them. and seniors;elderly.  Yes, a lot of seniors are facing homelessness, in shelters, etc. reason such as cannot sustain on their income.

Homelessness is s huge problem in the US. And ashame with a country with so many resources, you have overcrowded shelters, people living in inhumane conditions, etc.  among numerous other factos, there needs to be more affordable housing.

JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 4:45pm
Homeless people don't have the option to just disappear at night.  They have to sleep somewhere.  While I like things to work out within the confines of the law...I'm okay with this. 
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:45pm
i'm kind of torn on this. I work at night so when I take my break a friend and I used walk to the 7-Eleven. U got homeless folks that are loitering in and outside the store. Since the Wallgreens opened up across the street I noticed that 7-Eleven lost a lot of business because folks don't want to have homeless folks watching how much money they have when they go to pay for whatever. (trust me some did because they'd remark on how much change u got when u come out the store) For a while they were no homeless people around 7-eleven. I guess an attempt to "clean up" was made. They are back tho some days.

I get that society is fucced up and the disenfranchised are the ones punished. Believe me I know but...I just go to where I don't have to walk thru a crowd of homeless folks to get my products.

As far as residential...well...I mean...it's residential. I wouldn't want to come home to someone sleeping on my porch.

Iono...like I said...I see both sides.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 8:43pm
i'm not really mad at the spikes, if it's on their property.  it's not the business owners responsibility.  

in San Francisco the homeless problem is so bad that they enforced a no sit/no lie ordinance.  you can't sit or lay down on sidewalks from 7 am to 11 pm.  people fought that.  if you're caught you get warned to get up and go, given information on social services, and if you refuse to move you're cited.  i think it's pretty reasonable.

the answer is more resources for those that do slip through the cracks, but a lot of these people are truly insane.  i've seen so many people harassed and attacked by homeless people there.  San Francisco is so damn hippie liberal which is good and bad...but if they actually tried to place them somewhere by force people would scream about civil liberties.

certain cities have a reputation for good services for the homeless so all the homeless people just drift there, SF is one of them.

Edited by ms_wonderland - Jun 15 2014 at 8:43pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair