Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - LMKS: Theories on Mental lllness, Race & Violence
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

LMKS: Theories on Mental lllness, Race & Violence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 1:01pm

Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

Originally posted by zolloh zolloh wrote:

^^^I'd like to watch that Bunnyahh, my ABC station is not showing it.

Let it out, i think we need to talk about it, politically correct or not. 

channel 7 in NY

That lady wants to save her son, but at what sacrifice??  The sacrifie of dozens of others just cuz she thinks jail isn't good for him??  well death isn't good for the innocent ppl he may kill.  I say get rid of him & spare the innocent lives.   Not everyone can be treated or rehabilitated.   Some ppl are just PROBLEMS, no way around it

I understand what you are saying, but the problem like the social worker told her is that unless her son is charged with a crime, there's nothing that can be done. How does a parent make that decision? Maybe those are the questions we should ask, where do these parents draw that line and turn them in? when the child pulls out a knife the first time? I honestly dont know. I'm not a parent so I cant even imagine how such a decision can be made. Here is part of her blog

Quote The police came quickly and carried my son screaming and kicking into the bowels of the hospital. I started to shake, and tears filled my eyes as I filled out the paperwork—“Were there any difficulties with....at what age did your child....were there any problems with...has your child ever experienced...does your child have....”  

At least we have health insurance now. I recently accepted a position with a local college, giving up my freelance career because when you have a kid like this, you need benefits. You’ll do anything for benefits. No individual insurance plan will cover this kind of thing.

For days, my son insisted that I was lying—that I made the whole thing up so that I could get rid of him. The first day, when I called to check up on him, he said, “I hate you. And I’m going to get my revenge as soon as I get out of here.”

By day three, he was my calm, sweet boy again, all apologies and promises to get better. I’ve heard those promises for years. I don’t believe them anymore.

On the intake form, under the question, “What are your expectations for treatment?” I wrote, “I need help.”

And I do. This problem is too big for me to handle on my own. Sometimes there are no good options. So you just pray for grace and trust that in hindsight, it will all make sense.

Sponsored Links

csungrl09 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csungrl09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 1:03pm

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Originally posted by zolloh zolloh wrote:

^^^I'd like to watch that Bunnyahh, my ABC station is not showing it.

Let it out, i think we need to talk about it, politically correct or not. 

channel 7 in NY

That lady wants to save her son, but at what sacrifice??  The sacrifie of dozens of others just cuz she thinks jail isn't good for him??  well death isn't good for the innocent ppl he may kill.  I say get rid of him & spare the innocent lives.   Not everyone can be treated or rehabilitated.   Some ppl are just PROBLEMS, no way around it

You're a mother...how would you go about makin that choice? Would it be cut and dry?
yes.   I have said this b4.   I have no problem turning in my child if they are in the wrong.   Whether he is assaulting, raping, killing, using, selling, stealing, etc...  He's got to go.  Not all relationships are healthy relationships.  Toxic ppl need to be dealt with accordingly

Same here. People judge me all the time for saying that but I'm not raising a killer, rapist, etc. not on my house. At the first sign of trouble, whether it be killing little animals or experimenting with fire, my kid will be under constant vigilance and may find itself in the hospital with the quickness. My other children will not live in fear and neither will i
Sinnamon_Mami View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sinnamon_Mami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 1:03pm
Plain and simple: black people as a whole are used to disappointment and white people are used to their white privilege that allows them to escape simple disappointments that blacks all over the world experience.. White men can't handle that shat..Their used to running the world, with a sense of untouchability(not really a word)that when the illusion is shattered or they don't get their way or lose their money, they go ape shat..

Edited by Sinnamon_Mami - Dec 16 2012 at 1:06pm
Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 1:07pm
@ csung, I wish more tuned in to the show, but it over now

@ jam cay, even tho no crime was committed, I would go ahead & start that paper trail like they suggested.  Better safe than sorry
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 1:12pm

Originally posted by Quiann00 Quiann00 wrote:

Sorry...This sounds like she never whooped his ass as a child and now that he's older, she's still talking to him like he's 3.  Or maybe he does have a problem and instead of the mother getting help for the child when he was younger, she ignored it.  Now that he's older, she can't control him and she wont control him.

Sorry but I think part of the problem with mental illness in the black community is attitude like yours. We cant whoop mental imbalance away. Part of her blog:

Quote We still don’t know what’s wrong with Michael. Autism spectrum, ADHD, Oppositional Defiant or Intermittent Explosive Disorder have all been tossed around at various meetings with probation officers and social workers and counselors and teachers and school administrators. He’s been on a slew of antipsychotic and mood altering pharmaceuticals, a Russian novel of behavioral plans. Nothing seems to work. 

From NAMI: http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=Fact_Sheets1&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=53812

• Culture biases against mental health professionals and health care professionals in general prevent many African Americans from accessing care due to prior experiences with historical misdiagnoses, inadequate treatment and a lack of cultural understanding; only 2 percent of psychiatrists, 2 percent of psychologists and 4 percent of social workers in the United States are
African American.

• African Americans tend to rely on family, religious and social communities for emotional support rather than turning to health care professionals, even though this may at times be necessary. The health care providers they seek may not be aware of this important aspect of person life.

• Mental illness is frequently stigmatized and misunderstood in the African American community.

**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 1:24pm
Not a true psychological or statistical study, but interesting nonetheless

Quote White men from prosperous families grow up with the expectation that our voices will be heard. We expect politicians and professors to listen to us and respond to our concerns. We expect public solutions to our problems. And when we’re hurting, the discrepancy between what we’ve been led to believe is our birthright and what we feel we’re receiving in terms of attention can be bewildering and infuriating. Every killer makes his pain another’s problem. But only those who’ve marinated in privilege can conclude that their private pain is the entire world’s problem with which to deal. This is why, while men of all races and classes murder their intimate partners, it is privileged young white dudes who are by far the likeliest to shoot up schools and movie theaters.

csungrl09 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csungrl09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 1:24pm

@ jam cay, even tho no crime was committed, I would go ahead & start that paper trail like they suggested.  Better safe than sorry

I would have watched but my roommate were asleep so i didn't want to turn on the tv.

if you find it online, post it for us.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 1:48pm
When White people experience unfairness, injustice and inequality they want the world to stop and feel their pain/grief and empathize and they expect change

Originally posted by Sinnamon_Mami Sinnamon_Mami wrote:

Plain and simple: black people as a whole are used to disappointment and white people are used to their white privilege that allows them to escape simple disappointments that blacks all over the world experience.. White men can't handle that shat..Their used to running the world, with a sense of untouchability(not really a word)that when the illusion is shattered or they don't get their way or lose their money, they go ape shat..
Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by csungrl09 csungrl09 wrote:

I would have watched but my roommate were asleep so i didn't want to turn on the tv.

http://www.blackenterprise.com/our-world/
go to the "on the record" tab.  scroll down to
Is Mental Illness on the Rise in Black Community?
The Roundtable focuses on Depression and Mental Illness as it relates the black community.
csungrl09 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csungrl09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 2:51pm

Originally posted by csungrl09 csungrl09 wrote:

http://www.blackenterprise.com/our-world/
go to the "on the record" tab.  scroll down to
Is Mental Illness on the Rise in Black Community?
The Roundtable focuses on Depression and Mental Illness as it relates the black community.

thanks! 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>