Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - LMKS: Theories on Mental lllness, Race & Violence
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LMKS: Theories on Mental lllness, Race & Violence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nycdiva357 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 8:24am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Gang members shoot directly at children and adults they have absolutely no connection all the time. The "unintended casualties" are not unintended at all. Y'all know that and I know that.

But anyway, I was just talking about the number of acts of violence when it comes to attempted murder/murder. They "why" and the "reasoning" are surely different...but my focus was specifically on the numbers.

and while this may be very true.
I dont think anyone in their right mind would argue that these make up the majority of deaths when it comes to gang related killings.
Most fatal victims of gang related deaths-- are members of gangs....not innocent bystanders.

however the victims of mass shootings such as what happened in this school. what happened in columbine. what happened in that movie theater.. what happened in that mall--- have a 100% rate of having being innocent bystanders who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Sponsored Links

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 8:34am
OP's question was why is it that aa males don't do the mass attempted murder/murder thing at the same rate as white middle class males?

My response/opinion/theory was literally just comparing the numbers of victims...that based solely on the numbers aa males are doing it at the same rate, it's just that they're doing it differently.

Yes my interpretation and answer was reductionist and extremely small in scope...really not a true comparison...but I was just throwing out my opinion on one small part of the question being asked.

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 8:41am

Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

Most fatal victims of gang related deaths-- are members of gangs....not innocent bystanders.

I don't see how it could be true that most fatal victims of gang related deaths are members of gangs since most gangs are actually relatively small especially compared to the general population of the communities they are in. But I guess it depends on how you define membership vs. affiliation vs. proximal relationship. 

But to follow my own belief that gang violence is community supported and encouraged, on principle I do agree that most victims of gang related violence are not innocent (except for children). But that's tangential to the point and not related to this thread at all.
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 8:48am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I don't see how it could be true that most fatal victims of gang related deaths are members of gangs since most gangs are actually relatively small especially compared to the general population of the communities they are in. But I guess it depends on how you define membership vs. affiliation vs. proximal relationship. 

But to follow my own belief that gang violence is community supported and encouraged, on principle I do agree that most victims of gang related violence are not innocent (except for children). But that's tangential to the point and not related to this thread at all.

i believe the web of gang related activity spans way far beyond  the foot soldiers...

but anyway, i guess my point was that "usually" gang related deaths are somehow related to those involved in the conflict.

and i don't think gang related activity is community supported AND encouraged.  no.
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 10:14am
I don't know but I try so hard not to be scared of white men.  My friend's boyfriend "goes shooting" every weekend with his friends.  WTH? I don't let my daughter babysit over there anymore because I know there are guns in the house and I don't understand the psyche.  Hunting is one thing but 'going shooting'?  I don't understand them.  

Sometimes I think they have this inner struggle for supremacy that they somehow feel they have a birthright too.  I don't think Black men are much different there.  Men who need to feel powerful do it in different ways but it comes out one way or another whether it is promiscuity, violence, womanizing/woman beating embezzlement or something else.  I think racially the pendulum swings from levels of severity but I think at baseline it's the same desire.  To feel powerful.  An attempt to validate ego.  But really who knows.
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 10:18am

I was reading up on this study published in 2010 on black homicide victimization yesterday..here are some quotes. The pdf of the study is at the bottom:

Quote For the year 2007, blacks represented 13 percent of the population yet accounted for 49 percent of all homicide victims. Eighty-two percent of the 7,387 black homicide victims were killed with guns. The homicide rate among black male victims is 37.59 per 100,000, while the rate for white male homicide victims is 4.63 per 100,000.

Quote For homicides in which the victim to offender relationship could be identified,
72 percent of black victims (2,474 out of 3,431) were murdered by someone they
knew. Nine hundred fifty-seven victims were killed by strangers.

Quote For homicides in which the circumstances could be identified, 69 percent (3,023
out of 4,362) were not related to the commission of any other felony. Of these, 55
percent (1,669 homicides) involved arguments between the victim and the offender.
Ten percent (294 homicides) were reported to be gang-related. Forty-four percent of
gang-related homicides (128 homicides) were in California, which may be in part due
to more comprehensive reporting. In California, 44 percent of non-felony related
homicides were reported to be gang-related.

http://www.vpc.org/studies/blackhomicide10.pdf

IMHO if these homicide rates applied to white people, then maybe something could be done (what, i dont know), since the data suggests that blacks and killing other blacks so there's a "meh" attitude about it. I'll look and see if there's a study compiled on mental illness and gun violence.

Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 10:46am
I wish yall paid attention to my sunday shows thread.  Washington watch with Roland Martin, Open Line & Black Enterprise were all talking about this today.  You can turn it to TV1 if ur still intersted or listen online to this show http://wbls.com/pages/3874639.php

They talked about depression, mental illness, gun violence & racism.  basically everything itt
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 12:00pm

A blog from a mother who has a mentally ill child, some excerpts:

Quote I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me.

A few weeks ago, Michael pulled a knife and threatened to kill me and then himself after I asked him to return his overdue library books. His 7 and 9 year old siblings knew the safety plan—they ran to the car and locked the doors before I even asked them to. I managed to get the knife from Michael, then methodically collected all the sharp objects in the house into a single Tupperware container that now travels with me. Through it all, he continued to scream insults at me and threaten to kill or hurt me.

I am sharing this story because I am Adam Lanza’s mother. I am Dylan Klebold’s and Eric Harris’s mother. I am Jason Holmes’s mother. I am Jared Loughner’s mother. I am Seung-Hui Cho’s mother. And these boys—and their mothers—need help. In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness

When I asked my son’s social worker about my options, he said that the only thing I could do was to get Michael charged with a crime. “If he’s back in the system, they’ll create a paper trail,” he said. “That’s the only way you’re ever going to get anything done. No one will pay attention to you unless you’ve got charges.”

I don’t believe my son belongs in jail. The chaotic environment exacerbates Michael’s sensitivity to sensory stimuli and doesn’t deal with the underlying pathology. But it seems like the United States is using prison as the solution of choice for mentally ill people. According to Human Rights Watch, the number of mentally ill inmates in U.S. prisons quadrupled from 2000 to 2006, and it continues to rise—in fact, the rate of inmate mental illness is five times greater (56 percent) than in the non-incarcerated population. (http://www.hrw.org/news/2006/09/05/us-number-mentally-ill-prisons-quadrupled)

God help me. God help Michael. God help us all.

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html?m=1

Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 12:08pm
man zolloh, I got so much to say that aint politically correct AT ALL!!

so I'll leave it alone.

anywho, Our World Black Enterprise is on ABC right now.  They will be talking about mental illness in the blck community.  i might make a thread later
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 12:13pm

^^^I'd like to watch that Bunnyahh, my ABC station is not showing it.

Let it out, i think we need to talk about it, politically correct or not. 

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>