Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Live(d) In or Been to Rochester, NY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MinnyMiss16 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinnyMiss16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live(d) In or Been to Rochester, NY
    Posted: May 26 2013 at 1:58pm
-Im moving to Rochester for Grad school and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the events, people, culture of the city. I wanted to attend graduate school in a town that had little distraction in comparison to having done undergrad at a school and in a town with way too many distractions.

-So what experiences have you had or what things have you seen?

Sponsored Links

Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 2:02pm
I went when I was young, I remember a lot of white people with funny accents.

I don't think there will be a lot of distractions
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinnyMiss16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 2:14pm
-Im sorry, I meant to say that the reason that I had chosen to go to Grad school in Rochester is because of the fact that I knew that there wasnt much going  on in the town to distract me.
-I have visited there once and have received much of my advice in relation to events and "happenings" from yt people , much of which I have not found appealing.

- I wanted to now what things other people have done for entertainment while there or anything in relation to a "scene" that there may be in Rochester.
journeytolong View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote journeytolong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 6:47pm
Which school are going to? RIT, Brockport, St John Fisher???
It depends on the event and where it is. If its outside of the city then it will probably be a nice breeze. If its in the city of Rochester then I wouldn't go, they fight too much especially at the Hispanic festival, always shoot outs or fights. The lilac festival recently ended and they acted a fool there too. If you can avoid it, don't take the RTS bus, teens have been going around jumping people and getting into fights downtown....The library is a nice place. If you ever visit the one downtown they have  a secret little room behind some bookshelves on the 3rd floor. Love that little room lol.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinnyMiss16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 9:46am
-I will be at the University of Rochester. Now that you say this whole thing about the buses, I have no clue as to how I will get around because I will not be bringing a car with me. I chose to live somewhere close to the UofR bus line because people have complained about how the snow/salt have rusyed their cars.
-The only thing that I keep hearing about is this Lilac festival and now that you're telling me not to go idk whats left lol.
journeytolong View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote journeytolong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 2:49pm
Theres other activities you just have to watch the news (YNN), look on the Rochester website or check out Rochester facebook page they post stuff up there. Like a week or two ago they had a bicycling event for a teacher that was killed riding her bike. They have events with the fire department. In the winter/autumn theres a festival I forgot the name but its pretty fun people sculptice sculptures, everyone walking down the streeting having fun. A lot of the good stuff is outside of the city in my opinion. In the city they do have plays, strong museum, science museum, theres a few clubs, restaurants...near the U of R I don't really know that area well I just drive past it but its close to Henrietta and since you will be living near the U of  R you probably wont have to go downtown unless its occasionly. Just check out Henrietta when you have time they have a lot of shopping centers, you can go to the movies or the mall..Joans.
AshBash89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 2:56pm
I'm from Syracuse and most of my friends attended MCC, RIT and St. John Fischer.  I know that Rochester has a lot of festivals in the summer but the only scene that I was in to when I was there was the clubs and concerts.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinnyMiss16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 8:23pm
Ahh ok, thanks ladies. I'll look into things to do outside of Rochester and keep my eyes open for a lot of the crime that Ive been hearing about.
dynastix_609 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynastix_609 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 10:03pm
Born and raised here. I usually avoid certain events/area, but I'm just a scaredy cat. If u want, u can pm me if u have questions. :-)
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinnyMiss16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 10:41pm
Do you still currently live there dynastix?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic