Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Life Support...Could you Pull the Plug?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Life Support...Could you Pull the Plug?
    Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 11:25am
Many of you may be familiar with this story, Jahi McMath (young girl) went in for a routine tosillectomy and ended up (according to the hosptial reports) brain dead.

"The family and the hospital disagreed over whether to disconnect her from a ventilator, and the issue wound up in Alameda Superior Court.

In court documents and public comments, the hospital maintained that there's no doubt that McMath is brain dead, describing the condition as irreversible.

"No amount of prayer, no amount of hope, no amount of any type of medical procedure will bring her back," Children's Hospital Oakland spokesman Sam Singer said last month. "The medical situation here in this case is that Jahi McMath died several weeks ago."

A judge on December 23 appointed Dr. Paul Fisher, chief of pediatric neurology at Stanford Children's Hospital, to evaluate Jahi.

Fisher concluded the next day that she met the criteria for brain death. According to a court filing, Fisher found that the girl's pupils were fully dilated and unresponsive to light and that she did not respond to a variety of intense stimuli.

His report also says Jahi showed no sign of breathing on her own when a ventilator was removed: "Patient failed apnea test." The report says her heart was beating only because of the mechanical ventilator.

In addition, an imaging test showed no blood flow to Jahi's brain, while another showed no sign of electrical activity."

As of this morning the Cali hospital released her into the care of her parents (for transport) because the hospital say's she brain dead & there is nothing else left for them to do. The family has found a NJ hospital that's willing to care for her...

So my question is...receiving confirmation that all brain activity is gone, would you be able to pull the plug on your loved one?

Sponsored Links

juicifruit89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 11:35am
I'd keep them on life support if they were in a coma.

Brain death, I'd have to let them go.. Brain damage....I don't know, depends on severity. Trying to encourage my family to have a Living will drafted.

Edited by juicifruit89 - Jan 06 2014 at 11:46am
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 11:36am
yes.
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

So my question is...receiving confirmation that all brain activity is gone, would you be able to pull the plug on your loved one?
Of course, I pray that no one has to make that decision.

To answer, yes-- unless previously/legally directed otherwise by the person in question. I feel that if someone I loved couldn't be at the same or mostly independent level of functioning, I gotta let them go. To keep that way would be more for my selfish hopes of having them back.

This includes me. I have it clearly stated that if things like brain death or a persistent vegetative state should occur, it's a wrap. I am now a shell. Harvest my organs and cut the machines. Don't let me suffer. I'm gone and will hope to see you on the other side.
lanae View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 11:40am
Yes I would. Id also want my family to pull the plug on me and donate my organs
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 11:42am
Yeah I think for a mom it's extremely hard to come to that conclusion...I feel for her parents...
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 11:59am
For me it depends on their age and medical status. 

I know children's brains are very "plastic" because they are still developing.  Who's to say that one day her brain "wakes up", grows some more neurons and starts to function again?  Plus if she were my kid, I'd give her every chance possible for awhile longer...

Now if it was an older relative in their 80s with a history of strokes, emphysema, renal failure and such--And they were declared brain dead, I might be more inclined to  let them go peacefully sooner then later...

Ladycoils View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladycoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 12:05pm
Yes, if 3 doctors stated she was brain dead. I would donate whatever organs they could save. I'm sure this is extremely hard.
hauteshellbi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hauteshellbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 1:29pm
i know its hard because it feels like they are killing her but pull the plug.

I definitely want for my family to pull the plug on me, no life support at all... if I'm just a lifeless body let me goooo. This world is not all that great im sorry just being honest <future>
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 1:37pm
we've done it before.. 

so yes. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon