Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedLF Newbies/Members Compiled Thr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
essence View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2006 at 9:37pm
I see yall getting yalls moderate ON over in this piece LOL

Great info!
Sponsored Links

i*m*not*my*hair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2006 at 2:01am
Dear newbies: 

We at BHM LOVE pictures!!!  It has helped many people learn how to apply, and just about everything else about Lace Wigs.  Truly to the BHM community a picture is worth a thousand words!LOL  The most widely used avenue of picture sharing is a FREE file sharing account called Fotki.

Per your request SexiModerator,  this is just the beginning of a fotki picture tutorial on everything you want to know about fotki.  A fotki account is free to all! YES FREE!!  (I was surprised to find that a lot of newbies that pm'd me in the past did not know the account is free.) 

Here is the link:

Right now,how to sign up and how to choose your avatar have pictorial instructions.  More pictorials will be added daily like how to enable your guest book, how to choose your settings so only your "fotki friends" can view your pictures and setting account so that others may comment on each individual picture.    Please keep checking for new updates. 

Edited by i*m*not*my*hair - Nov 15 2006 at 2:03am
i*m*not*my*hair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2006 at 6:15pm
HOW TO WATERMARK YOUR PICTURES & VARIOUS WATERMARKING SOFTWARE LINKS (compliments of various BHM members.  Special thanks to DivaVocals)

How to watermark pictures/suggested watermarking software:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=36333&KW=watermarks

Edited by i*m*not*my*hair - Nov 15 2006 at 6:17pm
swahili View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2006 at 3:06am
I just wanna say give a big thanks, sexibeach you do really care of us people that were abit confused yet even though they read maaany post here. It gives u the confidence to order our first lf.Big%20smile

Edited by swahili - Nov 18 2006 at 3:06am
first time View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2006 at 3:30pm
already on good vendors list website information stores.ladydislocks.com

Edited by first time - Nov 19 2006 at 3:35pm
sexibeach View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2006 at 5:14pm
sexibeach View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2006 at 11:05am
COMPLIMENTS OF SASSYLADY05
how to lighten or color your lace units:

Salon Care 20 Volume Crème Developer
  --> By: Brentwood Beauty Labs

Sally Item #: 760120

Sizes: 4 oz, Also available in 16oz, 32oz, 1/2 gal and gallon

Developer that provides a thick, easy handling gel consistency and maximum color deposit as for gray or white hair with lightening.

• Regular lift formula
  • Gives uniform lifting and color
  • Stabilized formula

Usage Tips
    When loosening cap, point away from face in case of pressure build-up.
  •  
    You can use any bleach but I use this brand also purchased at Sally's
    L'Oreal Quick Blue Professional Powder Bleach
      --> By: L'Oreal Technique

Sally Item #: 500516

Size: 1 lb

This new dust-free formula provides lighter results faster. Its smoother consistency delivers more precise, controlled application and maximum versatility for professional on & off scalp highlighting techniques. The new dust-free formula helps protect the stylist and client. Also, the modern graphics gives Quick Blue and updated look.

• Lifts Up to Seven Levels and will achieve various effects, from the very subtle highlights all the way to global sheerest platinum, in one simple application
  • The non-drip thick, workable consistency of the product assures that it stays put where applied allowing for total precision
  • Stays moist and creamy throughout application and processing, so there is no remixing needed during application

Usage Tips
    Quick, controlled Lightening action in a dust-free, concentrated formula. Now for ON & OFF scalp application.

joileprincess View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2006 at 1:31pm
    I just thought that I would post this here since there is confusion about the differences between a lacefront and a full lace wig.

The only criteria for a lacefront wig is that the front hairline (temple to temple or the entire hairline) is ventilated with a lace material. The area ventilated can be just the hairline or up to half of the wig (ear to ear). The remainder of the wig can be wefted or ventilated on a net material that isn't technically lace. I think that we are using the terms handtied and lacefront interchangebly. A lacefront does not have to be 100% handtied but a fully ventilated lace unit does. Hope that I didn't confuse anyone.

A lacefront is a good choice for newbies or anyone who wears their hair down or in low ponytails. The lace area is limited and thus the styles are limited. Depending on how large the lace area is, you may be able to do a half pony or flat twists. The back may be elastic with adjustment hooks or it may have a small nape area that can be adhered to the skin.

A full lace unit is a good choice for those experienced with lace wigs and those wanting full styling freedom. Now, there are vendors who are selling units that have elastic or stretch net and passing them off as full lace. I do not agree with this phrasing but it is common for the vendors used on BHM so be aware. Depending on the color of the stretch/elastic you can part all the way down the unit or the color may prevent you from doing that. Full lace units can be made from any of the lace materials but the most commonly ordered here are French and Swiss. Different vendors are using different laces for these so be careful. One vendors' French is another's Swiss because they know that most people don't know the difference.

Hope this clears up some stuff.
    first time View Drop Down
    VIP Member
    VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2006 at 8:57am
    Just in case new members have questions about dying lf this was posted in thread awhile back. It might help someone if they have questions about dying their unit.

FAQ: Coloring

Will hairpiece hair take dye the same way as growing hair?

The hair in the hairpiece will take the color about three to four times faster than growing hair.

Do I use the same color?

Generally, using a color that is one shade lighter will yield the perfect match for the hairpiece hair.

Will the results have unwanted red tones?

Most people should stay with cool ash colors if possible and you may add a few drops of a drabber such as "Red Out" to the mix. Hairpiece hair tends to shift toward the red otherwise.

What sort of color should I buy?

Rather than mix a pack of color and throw most of it away, use professional products. Use any brand of developer, ideally in 20% volume. Cream developer is less messy than liquid, and gel developer is less messy than cream. Use professional color from a leading brand such as Clairol, L'Oreal, Wella, Revlon etc. Normally the mix ratio is 1:1 color gel to developer gel/cream.

What tools do I need?

A non-metallic bowl, a nylon brush designed for hair dye application, a plastic or rubber comb, disposable gloves, and some hair dye remover in case you stain your ears and neck. Buy all at the beauty supply store.

Will I ruin the hairpiece? How exactly do I apply the dye safely?

Just brush the gel-like dye mixture onto your comb and then use the comb to direct the dye through the hair. Keep the dye away from the knots, the base, the lace and especially the polyurethane areas. You can also prevent the knots from beng dyed by rubbing petroleum jelly through the base from beneath before you start to dye the unit. It will coat the knots and the base of each hair and stop the dye from getting to this part

The dye is on. Now what?

After 10 minutes or so, rinse the dye out under the tap from the bottom of the unit. Shampoo and condition. Hairpiece hair reacts three or four times faster than growing hair to dye, because the cuticle layer is stripped away during manufacturing.

How can I be sure the dye will just go where it should and not spoil the unit?

To help you avoid staining the base or darkening the knots, just keep thinking about the money it will cost to replace the unit!
    The dye is on. Now what?

After 10 minutes or so, rinse the dye out under the tap from the bottom of the unit. Shampoo and condition. Hairpiece hair reacts three or four times faster than growing hair to dye, because the cuticle layer is stripped away during manufacturing.

How can I be sure the dye will just go where it should and not spoil the unit?

To help you avoid staining the base or darkening the knots, just keep thinking about the money it will cost to replace the unit!
    Can color fading be prevented?

It seems the color fading due to sunshine can be successfully prevented to a large extent. One product that seems to work very well is Redken Sunshape Sun Milk. It contains a strong SPF sunscreen, is a nice styling aid, and smells nice too. Control experiments of one unit with, and one unit without, have not been tried here, but it seems to protect the hair from any noticeable sun fading. There may be similar products from other makers.

sexibeach View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 7:40am
    Additional Adhesive Thread:"Can we Talk Adhesives"

Sunwell
    China Lace Wigs
    Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
    Netwurks Xcel21
    Human Hair Wigs
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
      Share Topic