Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Lets talk density

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Bootiful Cream

Author
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets talk density
    Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 11:04pm
Ok, so I'm still doing loads and loads of research on purchasing my first FLW (which is a hell of a lot more involved than just getting a LF from the BSS, lmao). Originally, I would've just ordered a custom wig with a density of 80% at the hairline and 120% throughout. It sounded normal enough until I went through the archives and saw that ppl said 120% was too thick to look natural. Would that be true on a normal yaki wig?

I've been through numerous density charts in the last few weeks and I was wondering, is it better to have multiple custom densities throughout the wig instead of the hairline/bulk combo?

I think the following density "zones" was what I saw from 1 member's specs:
hairline
temples
top/crown
sides
nape

Did I get that right?
Sponsored Links

Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 5:13am
For density .. it is really hard to get the CVs to perform these percentages so I would not count so on getting exactly what you want. I even ordered from a AV vender opnce (twice the money) and I had to sit down with it and thin it out myself.

I would expect that whatever they send you .. you will have to sit down with a twezzer and thin it out to make it the way you would like after you try it on your head.  Be aware that most people (with their own hair) have low density heads of hair so to me my most realistic look was low density units. Everyone's different though.,

It's hard when you are new to lfw to figure out what you like and what suits your face so take your time.

For me, when I wore body wave lfw (mainly straught with some wave) I order 80% density all over and used curlers to give it the body I loved after I 'doctored' on it a while.

Now that I am wearing the kinky/curly afros lfw .. I use 100 to 120% density because the style is the BIG afro.... so it's gotta be full.

But to me.. for staight (ish) lfw .. order 90% and then sit down an thin out .. tweezer out the sides and the egdes etc.

You have to put some work into to avoid the 'helmut' look you can get when the density is the same all over because a REAL head of hair is not the same density all over. Smile
pg12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pg12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 8:06pm
if you get 120 which is usually standard for lace wigs you can tweeze out what you don't need ..it is better to have more hair than underestimate and have too little in a specific section unless you can ventilate
Malexandre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malexandre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 7:54pm
Density are tricky, it really depend on the vendor. It depend on what you like as well,  the size of your head and the type of hair. I know I have a small head and I can't  even wear 100% density without it looking wiggy. I like the natural look and I always order kinky straight (which always appear fuller than regular straight texture ) so I always order a lower density. I wouldn't bother asking a specific density for all those different " density zones" , especially with a vendor you haven't work with before, keep it simple. No matter witch density you decide to go with 
you will have some tweezing to do. At the same time you don't want to have tweeze a 120% density to a 80% all over. It happened to me, I had to remove half of the hair out of the wig and believe me its not fun. 
Get some thinning shears as well but I wouldn't recommend using them on the top, only on the part that are hidden. 
I<3Suomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I<3Suomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 10:32pm
I've had too many hit or miss experiences with densities with different vendors so I always get 120% all over, I tweeze a little and and add more baby hair but not much, I like the thick full look and they last longer with more density.... I've had lesser units shed here & there and 3-4 months later you can see thinning spots developing. With my thicker units they last 6montgs to a year ( until the time when I'm bored with them and ready for something new...
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2014 at 7:26pm
Thanks for the answers ladies...
....and keep 'em up.

Sry I haven't been chatty lately but I'm having technical difficulties with my laptop so I'm forced to use DH's tablet (which I hate typing on).
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 6:03am
One more thing .. if the densities sheds too much ... and they all shed over time .. for about $50.00 you can ship it back to the CV for more hair.

I usually wait until I have 3 to send back (its about 35 euros for me) so with the 35 euro shipping .. the wholoe deal to et 3 wigs revintilated costs maybe 200 euros.

They look like brand new. That is a money saving option.

But I would be careful wearing 120% density with straight hair ...
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

One more thing .. if the densities sheds too much ... and they all shed over time .. for about $50.00 you can ship it back to the CV for more hair.

I usually wait until I have 3 to send back (its about 35 euros for me) so with the 35 euro shipping .. the wholoe deal to et 3 wigs revintilated costs maybe 200 euros.

They look like brand new. That is a money saving option.

But I would be careful wearing 120% density with straight hair ...

does straight hair shed quicker than curlier?
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 3:58am
No, not really.

Curly hair (kinky curly) dries out more so it can snap off easier and of course if you don't use products to ease your comb through the units or in general if you don't handle the units like fine lace .. you will loosen the knots and they will shed too much.

But each hair is hand ventilated so each and every knot is tied .... so eventually it will have to shed at least somewhat. (It's not growing back afterall! Hee hee!)
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

No, not really.

Curly hair (kinky curly) dries out more so it can snap off easier and of course if you don't use products to ease your comb through the units or in general if you don't handle the units like fine lace .. you will loosen the knots and they will shed too much.

But each hair is hand ventilated so each and every knot is tied .... so eventually it will have to shed at least somewhat. (It's not growing back afterall! Hee hee!)

I'm planning on getting hollister medical adhesive to help with the possible shedding. I figure if I reseal around every 4 washes or so, I might be okay. I'm planning on doing a long term bond (with no tape + super tape) when I get this wig which means I should be removing it every 2/3 weeks.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic