Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Let's Talk About Ceramides**More Info Added Pg 8**
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Let's Talk About Ceramides**More Info Added Pg 8**

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Fcgriffin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fcgriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2013 at 1:38pm
Bumping because this thread caused my product junkie tendencies to reemerge.   I was doing so well Unhappy

..................but whatever! The stash is replenished and I'm on board with ceramides.  

So much great info here!
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Fcgriffin Fcgriffin wrote:

Bumping because this thread caused my product junkie tendencies to reemerge.   I was doing so well Unhappy

..................but whatever! The stash is replenished and I'm on board with ceramides.  

So much great info here!

thats the good thing about knowing which oils are beneficial because you can add oil to most products.
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 10:21am
I love silicon mix and  oils containing ceramides in general
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 4:50pm
bump!

well, I didn't know anything about hair until I found BHM LOLStern SmileOuch except that SLS is bad for your hair.
I randomly found something about a sealant, and although I posted on another thread, I will repost here because... well this is the place!
It doesn't seem very expensive, and since coconut oil and castor oil by itself makes my hair either look greasy or a bit heavy for a couple hours respectively, I am considering starting this ceramides thing:

Current Sealant: My Ceramide-Packed Butter

Thank you for supporting the JGA Journal and for reaching out with feedback and excitement for the paperback journal. I appreciate you all so darn much!!!! As for the paperback version, I'm so very sorry but it's going to take me a little while longer. My laptop died on me this weekend and short of a miracle, there's no bringing it back. I will have a paperback version available as soon as possible. Thankfully I've been able to continue blogging and connecting with you through my phone and iPad.

Pin on Pinterest
Now, I have a secret to share with you. For the last few weeks I've switched up my sealant (which is normally either grapeseed oil or Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum) and have been sealing with a Jen-made butter blend. Blame a spur of the moment itch to raid my stash and play around with butters and my ceramide oils I had tucked away.

I had a jar of jojoba butter lying around - and a couple others because I mix up my BF's loc butter for him and others for my family - so I decided to use it for my new sealant. In the future, I plan on using grapeseed butter as the base butter for a totally ceramide sealant. I haven't even made a dent in my current butter blend and I'm already excited about the prospect of using grapeseed butter.

On to the ingredients and steps...

Why these oils? What are the benefits of ceramides?
The cuticle layer inevitably suffers damage over time through manipulation, shampooing, chemical relaxers, etc. Once the cuticle layer of the hair is damage, the hair becomes susceptible to breakage. Ceramides are lipid molecules that protect hair from moisture loss and protein degradation by keeping the cuticle layer in closed and repairing the cuticle layer of hair. For more on ceramides, check out these great posts: Ceramides: Patching up Damaged Hair and Ceramides: Remedy for Dry, Damaged Hair?

*Vitamin E oil does not contain ceramides but it helps nourish hair.

Steps:
1. I combined my oils with jojoba butter in a jar.
2. Using my mixer, I blended the oils and butter together until I achieved a creamy consistency.
3. Because I just cannot, cannot, cannot stand the smell of wheat germ oil I had to throw in some fragrance oil. The fragrance oil isn't pictured - because I forgot it on the sidelines - but I used a "cotton candy" scent.
4. Blended again.

My hair here is week-old air dried hair.
I was worried this butter would be a little heavy for my fine strands but it is not. After I spread it on my palms, it has the same light feel of grapeseed oil. It doesn't weigh my hair down and it's been working as a nice sealant by locking in my moisturizing, leaving me with soft, smooth hair + shine.

If we're linked via Instagram or Facebook, you may have already seen the picture to the left. I took it right after moisturizing (with Pura Body Naturals Murumuru Moisture Milk) and sealing with this creamy ceramide-packed butter. Hopefully can tell what I mean about this butter not clumping/weighing down my strands.

Am I excited to see what benefits I reap from sealing with this ceramide-packed jar of goodness? You bet. My hair loves ceramides and has responded very well from sealing with just grapeseed over the last 2 years. I can't wait to see how my ends fare with the addition of jojoba and 3 additional ceramide-packed oils.

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Dakotablu Dakotablu wrote:

i steamed with olive oil and wheat germ oil (ceramide) mixed in QH cholesterol my hair is SO SHINY!!!
Thanks CC

Now I have to find a BIG bottle because not only do i use it in my protein shakes it is now a staple for my hair. I wonder is weekly too much?

something else to try....
I should leave this thread before I commit to buy all kinds of stuff
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 3:44am
I want one of all that stuff but where'd you go to buy jojoba butter??
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2014 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

I want one of all that stuff but where'd you go to buy jojoba butter??

camdengrey.com
chemistrystore.com
starwest-botanicals.com
These are the few that I found
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2014 at 6:14pm
I recently purchased some ready made ampules of scalp dressing or whatever it is and it contains ceramides.  It has definitely helped with the breakage I was dealing with for a month or three.  I am dealing with a lot less breakage and I am looking to include more ceramides-based products in my hair.  But not too much since too much of good thing tends to fcuk up my hair,
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2014 at 6:58am
when you think about though, why would jojoba butter even be necessery for that mixture since it isnt a ceramide.  if you can use that as butter you can you use any natural butter.  or even better just use a butter that contains ceramides.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2014 at 5:30pm
Probably to have a creamy consistency since she was only mixing oils.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>