Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lets Talk About Ceramides**More Info Added Pg 8**
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Lets Talk About Ceramides**More Info Added Pg 8**

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets Talk About Ceramides**More Info Added Pg 8**
    Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 12:13pm
Okay, this is something that was shared with me a couple of years ago and it is why I use mainly Aphogee and dominican products even today.
I tried the ayurvedics at one point and even though they strengthened my hair it didn't feel or look the same.  So I went back to my tried and true Aphie and dominican. 

I've seen threads on the subject elsewhere and decided to bring it here
for discussion.  

Ceramides are beneficial to the hair because they help to fill in gaps within the hair cuticle.  Hydrolyzed keratin proteins and silk proteins penetrate the hair strand and repair from within.  We all know the benefits of moisture for the hair.

These ceramides seem to be even more beneficial to no-lye users as are chelating shampoos.  The shampoos remove calcium/mineral deposits and the ceramides fill in the gaps/bind the cuticles (outside of the hair strand).

Several dominican products (Miss Keys 10 en 1, Silicon Mix, etc) contain ceramides as do popular hair care lines such as Matrix, Redken, Garnier, Mizani, Nexxus, Joico and Loreal.  And yes, generic versions by Suave and Sally's GVP contain it too if the generic version mimics the ingredients.

I realize that each person's hair is different but I find that these products do give great results for me.  I am a lite tex-laxer with no-lye and I use products from all the above lines except Nexxus.  No particular reason as I have used them in the past its just I get what I need already from the other products I use.  And Nexxus is the line that actually has ceramides in pretty much every one of its products.

So what say you?  Whether your lye, no-lye or natural do you find that products that contain ceramides work well with your hair along with hydrolyzed keratin/silk proteins and moisture?

Edited by LadyCC - Mar 03 2010 at 8:24pm
Sponsored Links

flwonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flwonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 1:39pm
I'm a die hard Silicon Mix-er. I didn't know anything about cerimides but that conditioner is the best one so far for my hair. Unless something better comes along, I'm sticking with it.

I do put EVOO or JBCO on my hair before I do the Silicon Mix....you can hear the angels when I wash it out! LOL

LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by flwonline flwonline wrote:

I'm a die hard Silicon Mix-er. I didn't know anything about cerimides but that conditioner is the best one so far for my hair. Unless something better comes along, I'm sticking with it.

I do put EVOO or JBCO on my hair before I do the Silicon Mix....you can hear the angels when I wash it out! LOL

LOL @ you can hear the angels when I wash it out!

I add EVOO to all my deep conditioners.  Your right about Silicon Mix - I love it!  And the leave is very good!  Its one of my top 3!

Sometimes its more to these products be it shampoo, conditioner or leave in that we may have not known about before that favors our particular hair.  I'm just throwing something out there that works for me and that coincides with my other hair care knowledge. Smile
*Addicted2Hair* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Addicted2Hair* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:05pm
I LOVE CERAMIDES!!! thats why I use nothing but nexxus products..like therappe and humectress and etc :)
pattigurlatl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattigurlatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:11pm
This study explains the benefits to ceramides on AA hair.

ABSTRACT

Repetitive hair-relaxing treatments often applied to African–American hair weaken the hair structure. Therefore hair breakage is a common feature of African–American hair and an important cause of hair loss. Recently, by analysing the lipids extracted from human hair, a fraction of free-ceramide was isolated in which sphinganine was predominant. This study shows that this sphinganine-derived ceramide (i.e. C18-dhCer) binds to African–American hair and protects it from weakening caused by chemicals. To show this binding, we used two methods: radioactivity detection with a microimagerTM and secondary ion mass spectrometry.

We evaluated the benefits of C18-dhCer on African–American hair fibre, relaxed by guanidine hydroxide, using a new method called the Break'in Brush Technique (BBT®). This method determines the hair breakage resistance during a brushing. Using this technique, we have shown less breakage when applying a shampoo with ceramide.

The present study opens new prospects for the development of products able to increase the protection, provide better care and meet the needs of African–American hair thanks to the effect of ceramide binding.

LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:25pm
Here are just a few products that contain ceramides:

Sedal Products (dominican Sunsilk)

Crece Pelo Leave-In
Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla (Pearl Protein)

Leave-In Silicon Mix conditioner  
Silicon Mix  Leave in 

Miss key 10 en 1 conditioner
BPT Wheat Germ Conditioner 
Salerm Wheat Germ Conditioner 
Kan Kanechomn Ceramide Deep Conditioning Creme
La Plancha Deep Heat Reconstructor Treatment

Razac Perfect For Perms Oil

Mizani Therma Smooth

Matrix Biolage Fortifying conditioner  
Matrix Biolage Cera-Repair Hydratherapie

Matrix biolage thermal active  repair cream

Matrix Sleek Look Extra Intense Conditioner 

Redken Extreme Anti-Snap
Redkin Extreme Shampoo

Garnier Fructis Instant Melting Strength and Repair Masque

Garnier Strength and Repair Shampoo

Nexxus Therappe
Nexxus Humectress
Nexxus Keraphix
nexxus headdress
Nexxus Aloe Rid
Nexxus Botanoil shampoo

Joico K Pac Recon

Softsheen carson breakthru anti breakage -ceramide - protecting foam
Softsheen carson breakthru anti breakage -ceramide - Fortifying moisturing shampoo

Skala ceramide 3 conditioner (Brazilian)

Taliah Waajid Enhancing Herbal Conditioner

Loreal Serle Expert Liss Starter Ionene G + Ceramide Pre-Smoothing Treatment
Loreal Bio-ceramide complex conditioner
Loreal Everstrong Overnight Repair Treatment (Leave-in)
Loreal Pro Vive Conditoning Treatment

Lustrasilk Cholesterol Shea Butter & Mango

Optimum Care Anti Breakage Therapy Conditioner

Aphogee Intensive 2 Minute Reconstructor

Aphogee Fatty Acid Essential Oils (old version)

Keracare Essential oils

AO white camellia conditioners

Loreal nature's therapys

Yes to Cucumbers daily makeover conditioner

EverStrong Overnight Repair treatment

Renpure organics amazing miracle reconstructor

Edited by LadyCC - Sep 28 2010 at 8:45am
LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by *Addicted2Hair* *Addicted2Hair* wrote:

I LOVE CERAMIDES!!! thats why I use nothing but nexxus products..like therappe and humectress and etc :)

Nexxus is an excellent line. 

Addicted, are you lye, no-lye or natural?
LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

This study explains the benefits to ceramides on AA hair.

ABSTRACT

Repetitive hair-relaxing treatments often applied to African–American hair weaken the hair structure. Therefore hair breakage is a common feature of African–American hair and an important cause of hair loss. Recently, by analysing the lipids extracted from human hair, a fraction of free-ceramide was isolated in which sphinganine was predominant. This study shows that this sphinganine-derived ceramide (i.e. C18-dhCer) binds to African–American hair and protects it from weakening caused by chemicals. To show this binding, we used two methods: radioactivity detection with a microimagerTM and secondary ion mass spectrometry.

We evaluated the benefits of C18-dhCer on African–American hair fibre, relaxed by guanidine hydroxide, using a new method called the Break'in Brush Technique (BBT®). This method determines the hair breakage resistance during a brushing. Using this technique, we have shown less breakage when applying a shampoo with ceramide.

The present study opens new prospects for the development of products able to increase the protection, provide better care and meet the needs of African–American hair thanks to the effect of ceramide binding.

Thanks Pattigurlatl!!  

I have seen these same studies.  I'm hoping to prove it by finding what ladies on BHM are using.  They may not even realize why certain products work so well for them. Smile
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:42pm

Thanks for starting this thread Lady CC Thumbs%20Up

Does anyone know how beneficial ceramides are to natural hair?

About a month ago I purchased:

Vanart Expert Bio Ceramids Conditioner to cowash my lose fro.

I also had a field day with my last product haul.. and  purchased:

2 bottles of Softsheen carson breakthru anti breakage patented ceramide technology heat style protecting foam
2 bottles of Softsheen carson breakthru anti breakage patented ceramide technology Fortifying moisturing shampoo

I read on LHCF that it is a good idea to clarify if using products with ceramides

LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

Thanks for starting this thread Lady CC Thumbs%20Up

Does anyone know how beneficial ceramides are to natural hair?

About a month ago I purchased:

Vanart Expert Bio Ceramids Conditioner to cowash my lose fro.

I also had a field day with my last product haul.. and  purchased:

2 bottles of Softsheen carson breakthru anti breakage patented ceramide technology heat style protecting foam
2 bottles of Softsheen carson breakthru anti breakage patented ceramide technology Fortifying moisturing shampoo

I read on LHCF that it is a good idea to clarify if using products with ceramides

Your welcome! Smile

The benefits are exactly what I'm hoping to find out and/or prove. 

I would think it would benefit all hair, natural or not, just based on what it does.  Clarifying or clarifying/chelatting for no-lye users removes any buildup from the hair strands so that the ceramides can fill in or rather rebuild the strand - if that makes sense.

Oh, and I forgot about those Softsheen Carson Breakthru products.  I couldn't remember every product so thanks for sharing.  I'll add it to the list. Thumbs%20Up  Too bad that great sulfate free shampoo was discontinued. Cry 

Edited by LadyCC - Jan 14 2010 at 2:48pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>