Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Lets Fight Alopecia (And Win)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ilong2b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote ilong2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets Fight Alopecia (And Win)
    Posted: Apr 23 2012 at 9:07pm
I did a search to see if there were any topics on Alopecia already but did not see any.  If I missed it or them, I apologize, and if you could post the link here - we can follow that thread instead of a new one.

I suffer from Traction Alopecia on both sides of my head - right behind my ear.   A very bad weave was the perpetrator in my case.   My "injury"  is VERY VERY old - so growing that hair back may be a challenge. (But the Devil is a liar - I am believing that I can and will, in the name of Jesus!)

When I first discovered and began following the forums in 2010 - I started incorporating some of the regiments posted in my hair care.   Last year was really crazy and busy for me - so as you may suspect- my hair journey stopped.  But just prior, I started to see a little fuzz on one side of my head (Thank you Lord).  I attribute this success to the wonderful information many of you have posted on these forums.
(Castor Oil, EVOO, cowashing, etc.)

I think  a thread on this topic is important- as I see so many woman who suffer from alopecia as a result of wearing "zillions" and bad weaves in the past.  I have a girlfriend who is 100% bald, her daugher is 40% and a coworker is about 30%  bald.  All from wearing zillions for many years.

So if you suffer
1. currently are afflicted with alopecia
2. are an alopecia survivor
3. have any suggestions to treat and fight it

Please post here to help us Fight Alopecia - And Win!!!

Sponsored Links

honniecake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honniecake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2012 at 11:24pm
Hey hun, your story is inspiring. i love that you keep the faith and that is a beautiful thing. blessings to you and your loved ones.

i have not been diagnosed with alopecia, but i do suffer from trich, which is an OCD that causes me to pull out my hair and eyelashes from instinct. it has definitely gotten better. loads better. but together hun, we can conquer such a thing called alopecia ! then be like alopecia WHAT? in the mean time, have you thought of trying growth aids??? like MN, MT, or even nioxin?

Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2012 at 5:04am
Try MN (miconazole nitrate). My friend's mother saw results from it after having traction alopecia from wearing braids so much. Sorry I don't know how severe it was

Another friend got her u-part wig ripped back by a wave and lost her edges. This was fairly recent, but she's using MN and I'll keep you updated

I had 2 tiny little spots in my hairline from a quick weave. One had finally filled in on its own, the other one I don't think ever will.. but we shall see. I use a megatek and MN mix to make my hair grow, I need to start making sure it gets on that spot.
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2012 at 8:24am
Have you had your hair follicles looked at by a dermatologist? To see if the roots are damaged beyond repair? When you first received bald spots from the extensions, did you stop or did you continue to get extensions for while? Normally if you catch the traction alopecia the first time, it can be reversed. This happened to me when I was 14, after getting my first weave in NYC. It was to tight, but I was young and excited and did not let the stylist know. So months later when I took it out, I had 2 bald spots on the sides behind my ears. It did fill back in after a month.

Tips when dealing with baldness:

The sooner you go to a dermatologist the better your recovery will be.

If the baldness comes from extension or any other hair technique, stop using that technique immediately.Most people get baldness from extensions, but then put the extensions right back in causing more extensive damage to the hair roots.

Do not believe your case is hopeless because more than likely it is not. There is help in most cases. But it requires a lifestyle change.

Increased circulation to the scalp does wonders to jump start hair growth.
MISS CR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MISS CR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2012 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Try MN (miconazole nitrate). My friend's mother saw results from it after having traction alopecia from wearing braids so much. Sorry I don't know how severe it was

Another friend got her u-part wig ripped back by a wave and lost her edges. This was fairly recent, but she's using MN and I'll keep you updated

I had 2 tiny little spots in my hairline from a quick weave. One had finally filled in on its own, the other one I don't think ever will.. but we shall see. I use a megatek and MN mix to make my hair grow, I need to start making sure it gets on that spot.

Is 2% the right dosage?  Should it be used straight or mixed with something?
OP, I know how you feel but keep the faith and keep working on treatments.
ilong2b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ilong2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2012 at 11:27pm
@honnicake - May God bless and protect you and your loved ones today, now and forever.  Thank you for your kind words.   Yes - I am using multiple growth aides.  Many I discovered from this forum. 
I take 12000mg (not a typo  :-) ) of MSM, Biotin, NAC, Nioxin, Prenatals, Chorella, Spirulina
I alternate blends of Castor Oil, EVOO, Jojoba Oil, Rosemary Oil, Jaborandi Hair Oil, Peppermint Oil, Maroccan Oil, Wild Growth Oil
I use MTG and Megatek
Other products include  Cantu Shea Butter Conditioner, Elasta QP, Aussie, Aphogee 2min

I PS with braids or weaves. 
I tried LF wigs but they are absolutely not for me - the longest I can wear one is 5 days then I need another solution. 
I just started baggying and GHE after reading the thread on GHE.    I GHE 3-5 nights a week and on days in the house - I GHE the majority of the day.
My hair is thicker than it has ever been - but the spots remain a challenge (not impossible just a challenge (*-*).  It is growing in length - I envision joining a challenge one day.   My only problem is time. 

I am glad your OCD is improving -when  you feel episodes coming on literally call the name of "Jesus" and ask him to deliver you and take this condition away. Try to remember to do this and  I do believe He will deliver you from that affliction.   He is a healer!

@Veemack - thank you so much and your post along with the other members post is exactly what I hope to see in this thread.  There are many ladies out there who I believe will benefit from this thread.   The wealth  of information (Internet) we now have at our fingertips, nor the was not readily available during the time of my injury.   So I do pray that ladies who have recently been traumatized with this condition utilize this forum and others to fight the condition.

@Litebrite - thank you.  MN is Monistat right?  I have some which I purchased a couple of years ago to use to seal my makeup.  Not sure if it is still good - so I will pick up some more tomorrow and incorporate it into my regimen. I will keep you posted.  Would you mind sharing how you mix your megatek and Mn. 

@Miss CR - thank you I will continue to believe and receive healing.  

honniecake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honniecake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2012 at 9:19am
Thanks for the blessings! I see you tried the LF, and you have obviously done research (something most people do not do! ) OP, for protective styling, have you ever thought about applying a glueless lace wig? wigs are better than weaves and tight braids for longer use in my opinion. how about getting a regular wig? i currently wear a lace wig w/o glue (just a regular lace front but i don't glue it) and it looks good! this helps me grow out my hair underneath and i take it off every night and after i get out of class.

just a suggestion, op. i know how frustrating wearing a LF can get, especially when its that hard rough lace that rubs against your trouble spots. you are taking a lot of vitamins also(maybe you take those monthly), but i am just a beginner so it looks like a lot to me. however  i can definitely serve you better in the wig department, since i am 19 and have been wearing wigs since middle school! please feel free to ask me anything about the wigs!

Edited by honniecake - Apr 25 2012 at 9:22am
kathytwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathytwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2012 at 8:29pm
Hi Ilong2b
I  suffer from Traction Alopecia on both sides of my temples and in the back I was  completly bald  . I  tried many products that did not work . I join GHE and oil challenge with Veemack , she offer a lot advice of the product that i had been using and product I should use, which I found to be  a gret change for my hair . 
Now I am simple, no overlapping of protein  ,  GHE daily morning ,  oil scalp daily at night , oils castro , Vit E , coconut etc  , Geovanie Leave In  daily , rosemary water , glycerin ,  Aussie moist , protective style wig with wig cap, sleep with satin cap daily. Apple Cider Vinegar  bi weekly and Aphogee every six weeks.
My hair is moist , no sheading ,  hair coming in on temple and back  . My goals are to come out by wig by July 2012 Birthday with  healthy hair. I asks everyone to pray for me, my  hair have been damage since 2008 . 
ilong2b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilong2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2012 at 11:07pm
Kathytwa
I will pray and believe that you will receive restoration of your hair.   I have read your posts regarding your apolecia and Veemack's (always) encouraging responses.  
Our regimens sound similar.  I do believe that your hair will be restored.  
There is a tremendous amount of great information on the forum - and many wonderful people who have helped others and still willing to help with advice on hair care and growth.

I am asking, believing and receiving that my hair grows to waist length by YE 2014.  My eyes are on that objective not on the apolecia.  Achieving WL by YE 2014 qill be a victory of apolecia as well!   Big smile

Be cure to massage the areas as Veemack recommended.  
ilong2b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilong2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2012 at 11:10pm
^^^^^^Sorry for typo - I meant:
Achieving WL by YE 2014 will be a victory OVER  apolecia as well! Big smile
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon