Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Legal Nurse Consultant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ragincajin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 6:02pm
Hi Uppity,

I’ll add my ten cents.
Feel free to make change if you like

If being a nurse consultant is your ultimate goal, work backwards.
In other words, if you are just finishing up nursing school, decide what type of NC you’d like to be, then focus on working in that area after graduation.

I have practically zero knowledge in medmal, but I do know about hiring consultants. To be a top level consultant, capable of commanding top dollar, you’ll need top level credentials.

No one hires folks as consultants with zero experience. Expert advice doesn’t come cheap. When there is a lot of money on the line, and there always is, clients are willing to pay ONLY IF the consultant is worth her salt. Most that we hire have at least 10 years’ experience. (Don’t know what the standard is for medmal.)

According to my NP cousin-in-law: If you are an RN, make sure you are at the very least a BSN. (MSN in your specialty is even better.) Having management experience helps as does working at top level institutions. Teaching hospitals tend to have higher pt volumes, so you should be able to gather lots of exp there. You’ll need a minimum of 10-15 years exp, great self-marketing skills, good contacts and a good network to command top dollar. She says it’s not a quick process but you might be able to shorten it by working for a consultant once you get your experience down pat.
(Have a look at http://www.jurispro.com/category/medical-c-17/ for instance.)

As for the JD part of the program: Don’t spend three years and a hundred and twenty thousand dollars if you don’t really want to be an attorney.

Think carefully and honestly about the kind of work life balance that is important to you- then proceed accordingly. And, I say this with all candor, think about your soul too.

Just like any other profession, even with JD behind your name, clients will still want to know what you've done and won.

No short cuts. Can’t teach experience. It must be earned.

Congrats and good luck to you!

ETA: Do let us know how it works out.

Edited by ragincajin - May 14 2014 at 11:19pm
Sponsored Links

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

idk what that means but I do know a girl who was a nurse and then went to law school...i also know of a few JD/MDs

They consult with litigators in malpractice cases and insurance companies to assess risk & reimbursements for patients.

i doubt you would need a JD to effectively do this as they're asking about your scientific knowledge. If you needed to learn anything legal I think it would be about litigation & the rules of evidence & that's what the attorneys are for.  I wouldn't go to law school with a science background  to do this work unless you wanted to be some sort of patent attorney.  Even to be a patent agent you don't need to be an attorney.  You just need a BS & sit for the exam.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Do any of you do this?  Do you know anyone who does?  I'm having a hard time finding concrete info on this field.  I'd look to know the job prospects, salary, qualifications?  Also, is earning a JD in addition to a BSN a huge plus or just unnecessary? 

DO you have a LinkedIn account?  I would start there and join a group or at least pose a question where someone who is in that field might be able to help you out or if they are a part of an organization, I would lowkey try to reach out to them.  But you have to play it cool because some folks would become rude with you if you even dare try to contact them through LinkedIn.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic