Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Learn to Swim For Free in NYC

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learn to Swim For Free in NYC
    Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 2:12am

Register for Free Swimming Lessons for NYC Kids

SEP 1 2013BY RAVEN SNOOK
Things to do with kids: Register for Free Swimming Lessons for NYC Kids

Just because it's not summer doesn't mean your kids can't learn how to swim. The New York City Parks Department offers FREE aquatic programs for children under 18 all year round.

During the fall, winter and spring, the Parks Department's swimming lessons are held at indoor Recreation Center pools throughout NYC. To try to snag a spot, you need to enter an online lottery, which begins on Wednesday, March 26. You must also be a member of the Recreation Center where you'd like to swim. Membership is FREE for children under 18 but there are fees for adults. That means children old enough to swim on their own (ages 6 and up) can learn at no cost. We've got the scoop on how to apply for the swim lessons lottery as well as additional information about these popular programs.

Fall/Winter/Spring Programs

The Parks Department is holding an online lottery for spring swimming lessons beginning on Wednesday, March 26 at 4am and ending at 11:59pm on Tuesday, April 1. The spring session runs from Monday, April 7-Saturday, June 14. Visit this page beginning Wednesday, March 26 at 4am to vie for a spot in the class of your choice. Results will be emailed by Friday, April 4. Once the lottery is over, any remaining spots will be available on a first-come, first-served basis in person at the center of your choice on Saturday, April 5 from 9am to noon.

Below are the programs that will be on offer. Locations and schedule info are available on the registration page. Remember, you're also required to be a member of the Recreation Center where you'd like to swim. Membership is FREE for children under 18 but there is an annual fee for adults. Find out how to become a member on the Parks Department's website.

For any child ages 1½ to 5, an adult is required to be in the water. We called Citywide Aquatics and confirmed that if you must accompanying your child in the water, you also need to be a member of the Recreation Center. However, if your child is old enough to swim on his or her own, the parent does not need to buy a membership. If you run into registration issues, call Citywide Aquatics at 718-760-6969 ext. 0.

Free Saturday Learn-to-Swim Lessons
All ages
FREE
Off-season learn-to-swim lessons are organized into three age groups: 1½ to 5, 6 to 17 and everyone else. Children ages 1½ to 5 must be accompanied by an adult in the water who is a member of the recreation center. The spring session runs from Monday, April 7-Saturday, June 14, and there are locations in all five boroughs. All children ages 6 to 17 who lottery into a Saturday class must attend water test on Saturday, April 12. Visit the website to enter the online lottery.

Free After-school Learn-to-Swim Lessons
Ages 6-17
FREE
Indoor pools across the city offer classes after-school on weekdays, usually starting at 4pm. The spring session runs from Monday, April 7-Saturday, June 14, and there are locations in all five boroughs. Visit the website to enter the online lottery.

Free Swim Team
Ages 6-18
FREE
More advanced swimmers can hone their skills by joining a team. These sessions emphasize technique, endurance, speed and sportsmanship as participants train for the Borough Cup Championship. Tryouts are held on an ongoing basis. Kids must be able to swim 50 yards in reasonably good form in order to join, and are required to submit a completed application and a copy of their birth certificate. Fill out the online form and then you'll be able to schedule a tryout. Questions? Call Citywide Aquatics: 718-760-6969 ext. 0.

Free Adapted Aquatics Instruction
All ages
FREE
This program for people with special physical needs offers adapted workouts for those suffering from ailments resulting from injury, disease or aging. It's offered at a handful of sites and runs Friday, March 28-Friday, June 13. To register, call Citywide Aquatics at 718-760-6969 ext. 0.

The Parks Department also offers learn-to-swim lessons during some school breaks so keep that in mind. There's no lottery, instead you contact the recreation center of your choice to vie for a spot.

For more information about the Parks Department's swim programs, call 718-760-6969 or visit the website.

Summer Programs

The info below was for summer 2013. We'll update this part of the post in summer 2014.

The Parks Department is holding an online lottery for summer swimming lessons beginning on Friday, June 14 at 4am. There are three sessions this summer:

Session I: Tuesday, July 9-Tuesday, July 23 - lottery ends Friday, June 28 at 11:59pm

Session II: Thursday, July 25-Thursday, August 8 - lottery ends Monday, July 15 at 11:59pm

Session III: Monday, August 12-Friday, August 23 - lottery ends Monday, August 5 at 11:59pm

Results will be emailed a few days after each lottery ends. Below are the programs that will be on offer. Locations and schedule info are available on the registration page.

Summer Swimming Programs for Kids and Adults

Summer Learn to Swim Lessons
Three sessions: Tuesday, July 9-Tuesday, July 23; Thursday, July 25-Thursday, August 8; and Monday, August 12-Friday, August 23.
Ages 1½-17
FREE
Children are organized into two age groups (1½-5 and 6-17) and taught basic water safety and swimming skills on weekday mornings. Note: Kids ages 1½-5 must be accompanied by a parent in the water, and there's a required ratio of one parent to each child. So if you've got two, both of you must come along! (If you're got three or more, find a really nice friend.) Adult swimming lessons are also offered on weeknights.

Swim Team
Ages 6-18
FREE
Children who can swim 50 meters or more with relative ease can participate. In addition to getting free training, they'll be able to compete in the annual Five Borough Championship swimming competition in August. Call Aquatics at 718-760-6969 for registration information.

Lap Swimming
Ages 18 and up
FREE
During designated hours, adults can hit the pool without having to worry about those pesky kids getting in the way. Participants who swim 25 miles or more over the summer will receive a free T-shirt. Prizes will also be awarded to the top three male and female distance swimmers at each pool.

Senior Splash
Ages 62 and up
FREE
Seniors can keep in shape with water exercise classes, swim instruction and even water ballet during designated hours from Tuesday, July 9-Friday, August 23.

Adapted Aquatics
Ages 6 and up
Throughout July and August, swimmers with special needs can enjoy time in the water. Call Aquatics at 718-760-6969 for registration information.

http://mommypoppins.com/ny-kids/free-swimming-lessons-for-nyc-kids-and-adults

Sponsored Links

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:26pm
A lot of black people I know don't know how to swim? I wonder why that is?
Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:29pm
Im gonna pass this along. i hate hearing that adults who are scared of the water, dont teach their kids. Its important to know water safety.

thanx
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

A lot of black people I know don't know how to swim? I wonder why that is?

During the times of segregation (upuntil the 1950s-1960s), pools and beaches were highly segregated, so a lot of black people did not have access to decent pools with lifeguards and safe beaches. The black side of the beach was often the section that was less desirable while they were not permitted onto the prime parts of the beach that non-blacks had access to. That is still leaving an impact on who knws how to swim and who is regularly swimming.

Depends on where you live. People that live near the coast/ocean know how to swim and also people from more affluent areas where people have pools and the town pools are nice and there are swim teams at the high school. If you are in a non-coastal area and also if you live in a town with one of the community pools where you get warned that you are gonna get ringworms or see a turd float by in the water, your parents probably forbid you from going to the community pool for lessons. My dad was a life guard when he was a teen. He taught my older brothers how to swim, but who knows why he didnt teach me when I came along or put in in swim class. We used to go to the beach often tho. I asked him why and he said 'i dunno know.' but I was in all other types of classes and lessons during the summer and on saturdays. I took basic and advanced swim lessons as an adult, learned how to dive and everything, but I have forgotten how to swim. I want to take lessons again asap, but I am pretty busy... I think that swimming lessons are just not a priority when there are so many other things to juggle in the average day of an overworked black family. I dont hear my friends talk about their kids being in swim lessons.

Edited by NJHairLuv - Apr 29 2014 at 7:34pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply