Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lawsuit for Secretly Recorded OB/Gyn Patients

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

Author
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lawsuit for Secretly Recorded OB/Gyn Patients
    Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 4:03pm

$190 million settlement. 12,000 patients. Each patient will probably only get a few thousand $ (not hardly enough IMO)
Included were photos of 62 children

Johns Hopkins agrees to $190 million settlement over patients being secretly videotaped

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5126c88c/turbine/bs-bs-md-hopkins-levy.jpg-20130219/599/433x599

Dr. Nikita Levy

July 21 at 1:53 PM

Johns Hopkins Hospital has agreed to pay $190 million to up to 8,500 patients who signed onto a class-action lawsuit against a Hopkins gynecologist for secretly videotaping them and, in some instances, performing unnecessary and unattended pelvic examinations.

The doctor, Nikita Levy, committed suicide last year as police unearthed video clips and images of his patients in his home that were taken by a small cameras hidden in everyday objects like a favorite pen.

The settlement was announced Monday by Jonathan Schochor, a lawyer for the plaintiffs and chair of the plaintiffs’ steering committee. Schochor and Hopkins officials were expected to announce the settlement in a joint appearance Monday afternoon.

“When learning of Dr. Levy’s behavior, our clients were extremely distraught. They felt a great breach of faith and trust. They felt betrayed. Now, with this proposed settlement, we can begin the process of healing our community,” Schochor and committee vice-chair Howard Janet said in a statement. An estimated 12,500 people were victimized by Levy,  Schochor said.

Hospital spokesperson Kim Hoppe said hospital officials have been in settlement discussions since fall 2013.

“We have come to an agreement that the plaintiffs’ attorneys and Johns Hopkins Health System believe is fair and properly balances the concerns of thousands of plaintiffs with obligations the Health System has to provide ongoing and superior care to the community,” Hoppe said in a statement “It is our hope that this settlement—and findings by law enforcement that images were not shared—helps those affected achieve a measure of closure.”

Funds for the settlement, which has been approved by the Baltimore City Circuit Court, will be paid through insurance, Hoppe said.

“We assure you that one individual does not define Johns Hopkins,” Hoppe said. “Johns Hopkins is defined by the tens of thousands of employees who come to work determined to provide world-class care for our patients and their families.”

Levy, who was 54 when he died in February 2013, was a graduate of Cornell University Medical College and had worked at Johns Hopkins’s East Baltimore Medical Center since 1988. It is a community clinic that serves the largely low-income and African American surrounding neighborhood.

Many of Levy’s patients who had been loyal to him for years were shocked at the investigation and his subsequent death.  A co-worker contacted the hospital’s security department Feb. 4, 2013, about Levy, and within one day, according to hospital officials, they determined the gynecologist had been taking photos and videos of his patients without their knowledge or consent. He was fired Feb. 8, as Baltimore police began to investigate.

Police seized six cameras concealed in pens, two cameras hidden in keychain fobs, four computers and external hard drives from Levy’s Towson-area home. He was found dead Feb. 18, a helium-filled plastic bag over his head, and a note of apology to his wife.

Edited by PurplePhase - Jul 21 2014 at 4:31pm
Sponsored Links

yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 4:23pm
just noooo.

My friends think I'm weird for having a woman gyno.
alynxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alynxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 4:23pm
Who is the black man - is that they guy that did it? OMG....
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 4:24pm
Didn't a White doctor do this too recently?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by alynxx alynxx wrote:

yes.

sorry. I thought I'd copied pix caption but just realized I had copied the title twice
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

just noooo.

it is scary. They said many of the patients had developed a fear of docs now and refused to see any doctor, ever.
alynxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alynxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Originally posted by alynxx alynxx wrote:

yes.

sorry. I thought I'd copied pix caption but just realized I had copied the title twice

Thanks Purp. Smile
alynxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alynxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

just noooo.

OMG I haven't see you round these parts in ages! Hello yaya!Big smile
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 4:38pm
Hey Alynxx!
I sneak in and out these BHM streets. Lol.
Miss you! I saw your video & 5 starred the thread :)
Can't wait to see more vids.

Edited by yaya24 - Jul 21 2014 at 4:38pm
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2014 at 4:43pm
I will never go to a male gynecologist.
Really sad that he did that. Weird fetish.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style