Extensions Plus

Law, Lawyers and in the Legal Profession

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Ayesha-Ju View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ayesha-Ju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2007 at 4:57pm
I'm going to start prepping for the LSAT now....
Sponsored Links

karmelbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karmelbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2007 at 10:34pm
My sister has been trying to get in the legal profession since she graduated with a Poli Sci degree many years ago.  She also obtained a paralegal certificate.  Her original plan/hope was to work for a law firm as a paralegal a few years and then go for law school.  She has had no such luck getting her foot in the door.  If anyone knows of a way for her to get in a law firm, that would be great.  She lives in Charlotte, NC.
trini_gyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trini_gyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 4:47pm
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 10:25pm
the ones i am having the most problems with assumption questions and justify the argument. i am thinking about taking the powerscore weekend course. has anyone else taken this?
Kael View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2007 at 10:13am
Assumptions are essentially going to be a part of every logical reasoning problem. Try reading this: http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/acelsat/acelsat3.html

Sorry, I cannot tell you anything about powerscore. However, you can probably find plenty of helpful information online. Just remember that you are always looking for a logical gap. Train yourself to find unstated assumptions when you are reading those questions. Before you take the LSAT, well, if you plan to score well, you should be able to pick out assumptions before you even read the answer choices. This probably sounds silly, but you can even practice this here on BHM.  For example, I was just reading the "interracial dating" thread in the "relationships" forum. There are a ton of flawed assumptions in that thread --but, I digress.

Anyhow, assumption and justify the argument problems go hand in hand. In either event, you need to identify the logical gap --what unstated assumption does the author claim as true/what must be true for the argument to hold water?

You have, what, another week or so to prepare --plenty of time. Practice, practice, practice!

Edited by Kael - Nov 24 2007 at 10:14am
jamgal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2007 at 11:14pm
Hey ladies.  I don't post here very often but it always nice to see young black women doing big things.  I am currently in my first year and finals are coming up.  Any suggestions?
Kael View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2007 at 11:39am
Congrats, jamgal!

Know your material and be able to apply that knowledge to the relevant fact scenarios --Begin by outlining an answer (that way, if you run out of time writing/typing your essay, your prof can look at your outline and at least see that you planned to discuss more than you actually did --I ran out of time during one of my exams and, as a result, thought I was going to bomb that class for sure, but I was still able to receive an A (top 15%) --I'm almost positive that my outline made a difference, as I probably still received some credit for at least spotting issues that were clearly relevant but did not appear in my essay). Of course, the ideal situation is to not run out of time in the first place. LOL

I'd recommend using the IRAC format on your essays: spot each issue, state the rule, apply the rule to the facts, and state your conclusion! Also, once you finish IRAC for each issue, go back and put your conclusion at the beginning (so, I suppose that makes it CIRAC, or something like that)

Every prof at my school had past exams either available online or in the law library --I'd highly recommend looking at some of your prof's past exams and writing/typing model answers. Practice makes perfect --and although the issues will vary from exam to exam, you will be somewhat familiar w/ the type of analysis your professor expects. If time permits, meeting with your prof to discuss your performance on these practice essays and receive his or her suggestions for improvement will be extremely helpful, too.

For whatever it's worth, if your professor grades on a bell curve distribution (as most do), a good essay will discuss easy issues on it, hard issues, and intermediate issues. The easy essays show the professor who understands the most basic aspects of the course --those are the essays which score the lowest grades. The intermediate aspects are mastered by fewer students, and this represents the middle of the class. And the hard issues allow the top students in each class to shine --A essays will be able to analyze these harder issues in addition to the easy and intermediate ones.

Other advice: If you are writing, make it legible and double-space (when a prof has to read 100+ essays, they appreciate it when you make it easier on the eyes)! If you are typing, just avoid typos. In either event, keep the essay organized.

Let us know how it goes!! Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Kael - Nov 26 2007 at 11:43am
jamgal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2007 at 1:43pm
Thanks Kael.  I have been studying for 5 -8 hours/day for the past 2 weeks so I believe everything should be okay.  My last exam is on the 18th of December so I can finally get to sleep for a few days and then start my summer internship search.
BlackEsq View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackEsq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 3:05am
Wow, I just happened to come in this forum & glad I did!

Law School grad here! Haven't taken the bar exam yet.Embarrassed

Congrats Kael Clap!!! Good luck in Law School Duoo & Jamgal. You are one step closer to being done!

To the ladies studying or planning to study for the LSAT Kael is correct...practice makes perfect.

Kael you gave them EXCELLENT advice on essay writing & on checking for those old exams. Many of my professors would put their old exams on reserve in the library or we would get old exams from their old students or our mentors. Are you guys only having Essay Exams because some of my exams were Multi-state or a combo of the Multi-state & Essay. PMBR & another book (can't remember off handLOL) were great for Multi-states.

Kael View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 6:17pm
Thanks, Ameisha, and congrats to you!!!!! Are you planning to take a bar exam?

Good luck on the LSAT tomorrow, ladies!! P3WN that exam! If you have to take a guess, make it an educated one. You should ALWAYS be able to throw out 2 answer choices. I'm wishing you all good karma and sending 180 vibes!
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic