BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Texturizers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Lanolin vs. Glycerin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
ChrANGist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrANGist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lanolin vs. Glycerin
    Posted: Mar 23 2010 at 7:26pm

What have you heard about this, or which do you find better?

Glycerin is an alcohol, known also by the chemical names glycerol and 1,2,3, propane triol. It can be obtained via hydrolysis of naturally occurring plant or vegetable fats (triglycerides) or via chemical synthesis from petrochemicals. It is a conditioning alcohol similar to other conditioning alcohols, but it has three very hydrophilic hydroxyl (-OH) groups as opposed to a single one. Because of this, glycerin is far more water soluble than some of the other conditioning alcohols such as lauryl alcohol and cetearyl alcohol.

: Lanolin is a very greasy material produced by the sebaceous glands of sheep. It acts as an excellent moisturizer for skin and hair and also functions as an effective water barrier. A byproduct of wool-gathering and refining, it is easily obtained and is a renewable resource. For this reason, lanolin has been used as an emollient in hand and body creams and hair products for many centuries. Many consider animal oils to be more compatible with human skin and hair than vegetable or mineral oils.Lanolin is a mixture of fatty acids, wax esters, and a complex mixture of other organic compounds. It is classified as a wax (as opposed to an oil or fat), and is a solid at room temperature (melting point: 100-107F). In its natural state, lanolin contains about 25-30% water by weight. When applied to skin or hair, it is very effective at penetrating the surface and enhancing moisture retention. Lanolin is also beneficial because it continues to absorb moisture from the air, and can thus act as a humectant for the skin or hair.

Sponsored Links

candycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 12:14pm
I've always been told to stay away from lanolin because its a synthetic and it just sits on the strands providing no real moisturizing benefits.  Where did you get the info from?  If in fact is factual, I would say lanolin would be the better one to use AFTER  a moisturizing agent.  It seems it works best as a barrier from keeping the moisture from escaping.  Thanks for the info!
ChrANGist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrANGist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 9:33pm
I got the info from naturally curly.com
vkb247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vkb247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2010 at 8:59am
I'm kind of grossed out by lanolin because it comes from sheep and I've seen it stinking at a farm when I was a child! I know that it's in a lot of lotions though so some ladies are probably using it without even realizing it.

I don't use either so I don't know which is better. You should give them both a try and compare.
afrosista View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrosista Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2010 at 3:46pm
lanolin in products like DAX work good on the scalp where as glycerin is a humectant that adds moisture to hair and skin so they have two completely different functions
Topaz Moreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Topaz Moreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2010 at 9:33pm
afro that makes sense!!
soyini53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soyini53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2010 at 7:49am
Why is lanolin good for the scalp? 
ChrANGist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrANGist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2010 at 7:43pm
I was reading that they are both good moisturizers. I have   a lanloin product (sta soft fro) and I have the regular glycerin mixture. I think lanolin, being heavy , could be used better in the winter to mositurize. The glycerin mix is good also.
princesslea2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princesslea2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2010 at 2:49pm

I bought some Glycerin/Glycerol the other day and have been using it with 2 parts water and a splash of Olive Oil in a spray and I cannot belive how soft my hair is!!!! it's amazing stuff and it only cost me a few pounds.

MrsLisa12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsLisa12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2010 at 6:58pm
But Glycerin if you use pure (I don't recommend it) will pull water from the air. If you put it on your tongue it will dry that spot so much that you will get a blister. Must mix with water if you are using the pure one and it's thick. Doctors use it on burn patients too. I love it and it was good after my surgery and I really couldn't do my hair
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic