Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ladies who work out - weave question
    Posted: Jun 02 2007 at 1:51pm

I want to get a new weave at the end of June, BUT, I'm back at the gym now and I sweat like a mutha'Wink

I was just wondering, how do the ladies who work out manage to maintain their weave styles and combat smell and mildewing, etc? I get home at nights, so I know my hair underneath would probably still be damp by the time I go to bed. That cant be good. Any suggestiong? Or is weaing out of the question with a lifestyle that includes vigourous exercise?Ouch
Sponsored Links

Alohagirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2007 at 3:22pm
I think wearing a weave is perfect for the active woman!  Which is why I don't wear my natural hair because its actually harder for me to maintain because I sweat so much, and I would always "sweat out" or "frizz out" whatever hairstyle I was wearing when I was natural.

As far as my hair, I usually wear a headband and will put my hair up in a low or high ponytail.  Sometimes I'll wear two braids.  Sometimes I will just put it in a low bun and go for it. Usually anything to keep it off my neck, it drives me nuts to feel hair on my neck while I'm working out! The headband helps to keep my hair that I leave out in the front smooth and helps to keep it from frizzing up on me due to my sweating so much while I'm working out.

But wether the sun is shining and I'm running, or if I'm indoors kickboxing...still sweating like a pig...my hair has never ever gotten stinky on me.

I still wash once per week as normal.  Never had any stinky problems or anything.

So go for it girl!!  Get your workout on!!!

And trust me, I sweat like crazy......
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2007 at 3:44pm

Alohagirl, thanks...I still am fuzzy on something --arent your roots (the tracks and the corn-rowed hair underneath) damp/wet throughout the week? How do you deal with that? Do you dry it before you go to bed or what?

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2007 at 8:46pm
c'mon ladies, I know Aloha and I arent the only ones who work out here....experts?
*Bumpity*
newtothis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2007 at 9:12pm
I wear a headband too... but after my workout my hair is still a tad damp in the front cause I sweat through it.... After I leave the gym, i take off the headband immediately and by the time I get home its dry..... I do notice that the hair does look kinda not as straight after being under the headband, but I don't know of any other options.
Nichelle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2007 at 9:28pm
When I workout my braids get a little damp, but not soggy wet.  It would be ok to not wash your hair after every workout and go to bed.  It's never wet enought to cause mildew or anything.  At the end of the week be sure to get in between y our braids and was h really well and you might want to rinse with Witch Hazel.
Nichelle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2007 at 9:35pm
When I workout my braids get a little damp, but not soggy wet.  It would be ok to not wash your hair after every workout and go to bed.  It's never wet enought to cause mildew or anything.  At the end of the week be sure to get in between y our braids and was h really well and you might want to rinse with Witch Hazel.
Alohagirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2007 at 9:49pm
Hiya Wildfire...

Yes, my braids, or "tracks" do get a bit wet, but not so wet that they aren't dry in no time.  Nowhere near as wet as when I would wash my hair. Now that takes forever to air dry!!!

I don't know if its because my tracks are so small and the weave hair comes on such tiny tracks.  But it doesnt take long for it to dry for me at all. And theres no weird smell while it is drying....  I have nearly a full 1lb of Wagmans Natural Body on my head...no stink!   LOL
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2007 at 10:25pm
Thanx ladies...Aloha, I guess I really have to ensure that my stylist does very small braids, that way they dry easily.
SenatorCaroline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2007 at 10:30pm
I workout EVERY single day...and I sweat like a 320lb man.  I should also add that once upon a time I was a 100lbs heavier so that has a lil' something to do with my dedication (addiction) to the gym!

When working out I tie a silk scarf around the front of my edges and put the rest of my hair into a fairly loose bun with a coated elastic band, no rubberbands.

Both my scalp and the weave hair is usually dripping wet when I come from the gym.  I take the silk scarf off and put all my hair up into a ponytail.  I pull down my hair track by track and wipe both my scalp and the weave hair with a mixture of concentrated tea tree oil and witch hazel...using a clean white wash rag....forgot to mention that before this process I wipe the hair down first with a dry white washcloth! 

White wash cloths are important because its possible that tea tree oil and/or sea breeze can make the dye in colored wash clothes run a little.

This  process cleans up any funky smells, but also prevents bacteria and fungi from forming on the scalp.  I wash my hair once a week...well maybe once every two weeks...I know, I know...but I hope this helps.

One more thing buy tea tree oil from a natural foods market (wild oats, whole foods)...the tea tree oil in cvs, walmart isn't concentrated!

And Kimble hair products also makes a scalp antispectic that keeps the hair smelling grrrrrrreat and make the scalp feel just as good...but i think its like 30 bucks a bottleConfused

Edited by SenatorCaroline - Jun 02 2007 at 10:38pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic