BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Lace wig support straps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
trishasinbox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote trishasinbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lace wig support straps
    Posted: Apr 26 2014 at 9:43pm
Saw this today..a modified version of TMM.. interesting..

Sponsored Links

MassGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MassGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 9:44am
Thanks for posting this info.

I am going to try this with lingerie/fashion straps from JoAnn's.

Edited by MassGal - Apr 27 2014 at 9:46am
trishasinbox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trishasinbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by MassGal MassGal wrote:

Thanks for posting this info.

I am going to try this with lingerie/fashion straps from JoAnn's.

Thumbs Up
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 9:34am
the combs!!  that's the first thing i take out of all of my wigs.  People lose their hair to those things..

Ouch
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2014 at 11:11am
Originally posted by femmemuscleisback femmemuscleisback wrote:

the combs!!  that's the first thing i take out of all of my wigs.  People lose their hair to those things..

Ouch

Yep, I've been saying that for years. All those 'tools' like hairpins. combs etc eventually take a toll on your hair and she already said the braids took out her edges - so why compound the problem?

Besides astheticly speaking .. her edges are OUT so the second she turns her head ... the jig will be up.

Sorry, but she would be better served by using tape to cover her edges and get them to grow back .. even if she does have to reapply every 2 days. Duh!

Better that than ... lose your hair.

Some people are just too lazy with these units.

Secondly, those little (bra) straps were not designed for the back of your head so aside from her saying you will have to shave your naPE ... THAT rub, rub, rub of the straps against her nape is gonna damage the hair back there too.

Thirdly, I have little straps in the nape of my unit - which does help the unit stay on snug ... only these straps are eslastic and are built into the structure of the cap so they cannor damage your own hair

It only costs like 10 dollars more to order these straps in a custom unit.

Edited by Printer_Ink - Apr 28 2014 at 11:17am
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 5:14am
she need not have said shave the back hairline.  if u have to do that (unnecessarily) this method ain't for u.  IA printer.  that back of the neck is going to irritate eventually.  even faster if it's hot out.  i'm all for innovation and new ideas but this IMO is detrimental for the ladies who have hair and these are just for fashion.  TMM still seems the best option for hair retention. *shrugs*
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 5:17am

Ouch

chile I ain't got no hair and I cut those out. They are irritating and can never be placed in IMO what would be optimal position for secureage.  Which would be towards the front. Because no. 1 combs can be seen at the hairline and 2 your hairline is not strong enough to support that kind of constant tension. I don't know anybody IRL who utilizes the combs in their units.
MassGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MassGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 1:00pm
I sewed the straps into one of my units. I have no intention of shaving anything ( nor did I buy into that when I used adhesives, some would say the same about shaving the hairline.)

I found this is a good method instead of or to supplement the elastic band method for times when you want a bit more  hold or if the elastic stretches too much as it does with wear. Plus, I can never get my measurements just right with the elastic  so this is a great supplement. You can always modify a method rather than just criticize.

I am curious about the comment that the straps weren't "made" for hair. None of this is really. Fabric is fabric. I think it is about the tension.

Thanks again to the OP. 

Edited by MassGal - May 03 2014 at 1:01pm
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Ouch

chile I ain't got no hair and I cut those out. They are irritating and can never be placed in IMO what would be optimal position for secureage.  Which would be towards the front. Because no. 1 combs can be seen at the hairline and 2 your hairline is not strong enough to support that kind of constant tension. I don't know anybody IRL who utilizes the combs in their units.

the bolded struck as very cute.LOL

It's the strangest thing, but when i'm reviewing new lace fronts on youtube?  Those ladies keep the combs in. The moment i see them "tucking" or inserting the combs into the hairline,  I cringe..Ouch

Even if they aren't using the combs, i think they would be irritating just laying on your temples - especially if you've tightened the straps to fit your head.Confused

Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2014 at 1:01am
Originally posted by MassGal MassGal wrote:

I sewed the straps into one of my units. I have no intention of shaving anything ( nor did I buy into that when I used adhesives, some would say the same about shaving the hairline.)

I found this is a good method instead of or to supplement the elastic band method for times when you want a bit more  hold or if the elastic stretches too much as it does with wear. Plus, I can never get my measurements just right with the elastic  so this is a great supplement. You can always modify a method rather than just criticize.

I am curious about the comment that the straps weren't "made" for hair. None of this is really. Fabric is fabric. I think it is about the tension.

Thanks again to the OP. 

Umm what I meant was just what I said. :)

Those (bra) straps are not designed to be attached to the lace (the wear will put stress on the areas on units where you sewed in on). And the (bra) straps will rub, rub, rub against your natural hair/nape which will eventually cause problems.

The straps are 'built into' the nape of the units so they are not exposed to skin/hair. They are 'designed' to hold the unit securely without putting stress on the lace or stress on your hair.

It's not just fabric either because the little 'elastic' straps are like double wrapped in fabric - then lace and once again they are literally 'built into' the unit so there is no chance of your natural hair being touched at all. Note: the elastic is installed way up just behind your ears (internally) so you have the whole back half of your head secured by this internal strap really.

(An extra advantage I discovered is that you can have an emergency appl when you want. Like if you are in for the night and remove the unit to wash your own hair etc ... but if you have to step out and take out the trash, get your mail or just answer the door .. you can place the unit on your head and the straps hold it secure for that little but of time.

Whereas without the straps you would either have to do a real app or wrap your head in a Do Rag. (My Do Rag days are over!) Everytime I step out of the house .. it at least 'appears' like a real app with these straps employeed. :) )

When I apply tape to the skin around my face as well as the nape (under the little straps) - the unit is sooooo secure. :) This gives such assurance when I am walking down the street in a strong wind or when I am out dancing all night.

Again - it only takes a good 10 bucks to have these built into your units.

Your head measurements don't have anything to do with straps. I just received 2 units and when I place them on my head - they fit like a little cap. Then the straps an back make it 'snug'. So maybe you should have a friend measure your head. But measure it several times.

If the elastic (which is fairly thick) get too loose what I do is sew an extra 'notch' along side the regular notches and this gives you extra hold again.

I really think the 'care and feeding' of these units makes all the difference in terms of the health of your natural hair and the longevity of the units.

Sorry but whenever I hear of these 'tricks' to apply these units outside of the way they were intended to be applied ... it makes my scalp itch because by nature these tricks will eventually take a toll on your natural hair. Little things ... add up.

That is not a critisim ... that's my opinion ...

Edited by Printer_Ink - May 04 2014 at 1:51am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>