Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lace wig attachment methods? Worried about damage.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedLace wig attachment methods? Worried about damage.

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Aphelion View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lace wig attachment methods? Worried about damage.
    Posted: Sep 10 2012 at 7:40pm
I am currently suffering from very noticeable thinning of my hair, I have been wearing clip in hair extensions daily since the age of 17 and I am now 23. I think that the pressure from the clips on my hair is causing thinning, especially near the temples and front (my hair has always been EXTREMELY thin anyway), so the thinning is looking like bald patches instantly and I have just noticed alot of damage. My hair is naturally straight and has never been very durable or strong, I feel I want a lace wig to not damage my hair anymore and conceal my hair loss.

However, Im struggling to choose between a glueless or glued lace wig? Without my concerns it would be glued wig instantly. The only reason I'm hesitant is because I'm worried about damage to my hairline. No matter how careful I am I don't want to be putting any chemicals or glues anywhere on my hairline. But I have to if Im going to be gluing my full lace wig don't I? 

My other question is, if I buy a normal full lace wig thats not made specifically to be glueless, but with hair combs around the perimeter, can I just attach it with the combs without gluing it if I want to? or does it have to be a specific type of harder lace or type of wig to work with combs?
       Ive heard things about the elastic band method to be used if you don't want to glue the wig? and have tried to youtube it and google it but I'm still so confused about that. 

Also, I have researched lace wigs extensively and contacted sellers etc asking questions, since my first questions on here, after all of the advice but there are some things like the above that I can't quite grasp and feel more comfortable asking on here as you are all so helpful! . 
Sponsored Links

chatnoir View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2012 at 10:36pm
G'evening Aphelion.

I started wearing lace wigs myself as a protective style to protect my hairline and to give my hair a rest from wearing weaves.  I was also concerned about glue, and, the key is, to make sure that the glue or tape is placed in front of your hairline.   You can also practice with Got2BGlued which will allow you to remove your wig daily.

Here's a partial answer to question 1 based on my experience:

I've got a 4-finger fo'head (space between my eyebrows and where my hairline begins), so I'm able to place my wig just beneath my hairline with glue/tape without the wig being too low on my forehead.  I do shave my nape area a bit just so that I have an easier task of adhering back there.  There are those who also wear their wigs behind the hairline, without glue.  Also, you must take care to carefully remove the wig.

There should be some tips in the newbie section, but here's an old thread that asked a similar question to yours:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/are-lacefronts-safe_topic271613_page2.html

HTH!

ETA:  Here's a thread from a few months back of someone who used the Got2Be method applying behind the hairline.  I ordinarily wouldn't consider applying behind the hairline; however Got2Be gel is water soluble.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/amazing-flawless-app-using-got2be_topic340794_page1.html

Edited by chatnoir - Sep 11 2012 at 5:39pm
Becky View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2012 at 4:07pm
Okay, I think if you use the clips etc or sew in weave etc ... definitely you will damage your natural hair.

Everyone's hair is different but even with your natuarl straight hair ..it will be a problem eventually.
This is the one of the reason I do not like weaves.

There is also a method called the 'Tootsie Method' where basically people clip their full lace wig to their own hair. I think if you are in a pinch .. you can get away with this .. but I would not recommend this for everyday use because sooner or later ... this will damage your natural hair as well. Nevvvvver a good idea to use pins etc up against hair for a prolonged period of time.

I do not recommend that you place the unit behind your hairline either (leaving your natural hair out). For one ... it will look bad because clearly your natural hair will not look like the wig and second .. you will have to adhere the wig TO YOUR NATURAL HAIR with either glue/tape or clips etc .. and there we are ...  back to the same damaging situation. Embarrassed Plus .. unless you use a lot of clips .. the unit will not be so .. secure.

That said .. you want to use glue/tape on the Lace wigs - PERIOD. It will look natural and will firm and secure.

There are a ton of different tapes or glue you can try. This is because men''s tupee's are attached with these exact tapes and glues so they have been around a good 200 years or so.

Even so, your body chemistry might not alllow you to use certain tapes or glues (everyone is different) so try them out. See www.hairdirect.com and look under PRODUCTS to see the zillions of tapes and glues you can try.

The thing is .... you must  apply the unit correctly with these tapes/glues. This means you must apply the glue to your SKIN around your forehead/face ... NOT your hair or it will break off your hair eventually just like all the other stuff.

These units are not for everyone though so if your forehead is too low .. there is not much room to apply the tape/glue on your skin .. as the unit will be too low and unnatural looking.

You have to work with it.

The Gliueless lace wigs have little combs on the sides (again., you are putting the same stress on your real hair so it will start breaking off on the sides next). But also they have these little straps in the back (at the nape) to hold on the unit.

All my units have these little straps because I like the nape to be snug and have the option of not tapeing down the nape. But in the front and sides of course I do use tape/glue to hold the unit down and so it look more realistic.

Also .. in a pinch (like I need to take the trash out) and I don't want to apply the unit, I can just use the little straps at the highest level ... so that the nape is TIGHT and firm (which would give me a headache if I wore it that way all day) but it is fine to take out the trash or for any quick thingy I have to do. (No I don't wear Do Rags ... EVER! Hate those  things!) Tongue

Anyway - this is the Glueless lace wig. So if you use the Glueless wigs ...

- you can adhere the sides and maybe the front with the little combs on the inside of the unit

- you can secure the nape with the little straps.

Of course, the edges and hairline will not look natural. I will look like a regular wig when the wind blows and your edges are revealed. With the glue and the tape you can apply the unit so that it looks like it is growing out of your head. This is the beauty of these lace wigs - that you can make them like like real (as best you can).

Of course the other Glueless type of lace wig is the elastic band around the entire unit to hold the unit on. Of course you will have to keep your edges hidden .

I have never tried these units so they might be an option - the only thing is if the elastic going to be secure enough so that it will FEEL safe and secure. Second, if the elastic is so tight that it is secure .. I would think you would get a headache after a while.

Seems like it would compromise the blood supply to your scalp as well. If I were you, I would ask a dermatolgist about this because you are trying to grow your hair - so you need that blood supply.

Anyway, good luck to you!

Edited by Becky - Sep 11 2012 at 4:27pm
Betty Hill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2012 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Aphelion Aphelion wrote:

I am currently suffering from very noticeable thinning of my hair, I have been wearing clip in hair extensions daily since the age of 17 and I am now 23. I think that the pressure from the clips on my hair is causing thinning, especially near the temples and front (my hair has always been EXTREMELY thin anyway), so the thinning is looking like bald patches instantly and I have just noticed alot of damage. My hair is naturally straight and has never been very durable or strong, I feel I want a lace wig to not damage my hair anymore and conceal my hair loss.

However, Im struggling to choose between a glueless or glued lace wig? Without my concerns it would be glued wig instantly. The only reason I'm hesitant is because I'm worried about damage to my hairline. No matter how careful I am I don't want to be putting any chemicals or glues anywhere on my hairline. But I have to if Im going to be gluing my full lace wig don't I? 

My other question is, if I buy a normal full lace wig thats not made specifically to be glueless, but with hair combs around the perimeter, can I just attach it with the combs without gluing it if I want to? or does it have to be a specific type of harder lace or type of wig to work with combs?
       Ive heard things about the elastic band method to be used if you don't want to glue the wig? and have tried to youtube it and google it but I'm still so confused about that. 

Also, I have researched lace wigs extensively and contacted sellers etc asking questions, since my first questions on here, after all of the advice but there are some things like the above that I can't quite grasp and feel more comfortable asking on here as you are all so helpful! . 
I do suggest you wear the glueless wig to prevent your natural hair.As we all know that the unnatural hairline problem make the glueless wig be down,but if you let your vendors do the big bangs for you,it will be perfect. :)i always wear the glueless wig when i am out,i don't think i will wear the glue wigs any more.
myluvinhair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2012 at 3:19am
Originally posted by chatnoir chatnoir wrote:

G'evening Aphelion.

I started wearing lace wigs myself as a protective style to protect my hairline and to give my hair a rest from wearing weaves.  I was also concerned about glue, and, the key is, to make sure that the glue or tape is placed in front of your hairline.   You can also practice with Got2BGlued which will allow you to remove your wig daily.

Here's a partial answer to question 1 based on my experience:

I've got a 4-finger fo'head (space between my eyebrows and where my hairline begins), so I'm able to place my wig just beneath my hairline with glue/tape without the wig being too low on my forehead.  I do shave my nape area a bit just so that I have an easier task of adhering back there.  There are those who also wear their wigs behind the hairline, without glue.  Also, you must take care to carefully remove the wig.

There should be some tips in the newbie section, but here's an old thread that asked a similar question to yours:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/are-lacefronts-safe_topic271613_page2. - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/are-lacefronts-safe_topic271613_page2.html

HTH!

ETA:  Here's a thread from a few months back of someone who used the Got2Be method applying behind the hairline.  I ordinarily wouldn't consider applying behind the hairline; however Got2Be gel is water soluble.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/amazing-flawless-app-using-got2be_topic340794_page1. - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/amazing-flawless-app-using-got2be_topic340794_page1.html

it's helpful
Aphelion View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2012 at 7:09pm
Such a detailed answer thank you! Smile
Aphelion View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2012 at 7:12pm
You are so right about the combs also placing pressure on the hairline, it makes sense and it's good to know that I have so many options. 
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic