BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Kola Boof writes new article on Zoe Saldana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 11 Votes, Average 3.91  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 12:05am
angela bassett is a serious character actress and could pull Nina Simone off

if Zoe was a serious actress with depth there wouldn't be as much of a backlash

Lauren could make a decent attempt to sing Nina's songs and capture Nina's rich emotion and philosophy ... it's more than just her skin and the fact that she's a singer
Sponsored Links

khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 12:09am
Maybe other black actresses didn't want the part due to the biopic being so way off and the director behind it. Zoe might have been the only one to accept it.

I just hope Zoe pulls it off.

IA Lauryn or Viola would have been the bomb.

Edited by khivey - Nov 05 2012 at 12:10am
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 12:12am
Originally posted by sweet_n_stuff04 sweet_n_stuff04 wrote:

Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

Hollywood seems to have no problem hiring darkskinned actors when they need villains  maids, so why is it so hard to do now??

Fixed...still good points though

Nah, I meant villains. "Maids" works too, but that wasnt the point that I was making. I wasnt talking exclusively about black people with that point, but people of color as a whole. Darker skinned individuals are almost always portrayed as the villain to the lighter skinned heroes/heroines. Even in movies without a noticeable "villain," the antagonists and/or adversaries of the main characters are usually darker skinned.

See: Many Tyler Perry Films, Step Up 1 and 2, The Last Airbender, 

Hell, if we want to talk about cartoons, see: Aladdin, The Lion King (notice how all of the lions, except Scar, are a Golden color with red manes?)

It's nothing new. The next movie you watch, if it has a "multi-cultural" cast, look and see who the villain/antagonist is. 
starflower7 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starflower7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 12:18am

The Lion King (notice how all of the lions, except Scar, are a Golden color with red manes?)

My cousin pointed this out to me when we were younger. The messed up thing is he looks evil on sight and the artists knew the dark coloring would signal that in people's minds. I don't know if it's a subconscious thing all people have or if we have been trained to think that way.

My other cousin also pointed out colorism in Tyler Perry movies. She said the light skinned woman is always the educated or sensible one, but the dark woman is always the mother or she is on drugs. Idk because I don't watch Tyler Perry movies tbh.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 12:28am
Dark is synonymous with evil, depression, sorrow etc.

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 12:44am
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

People didn't go to see Avatar for Zoe ... and won't go to see the sequel for Zoe either

They tested her draw power with Columbiana 

If she really wanted to commit to the role and be believable she could have tanned instead of the ridiculous makeup

and risk being dark FOREVER?!!!!!!

u triiiiiiippppppppppppppppppiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn'
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 12:59am
the perma tan? Cry

that girl was so serious too LOL

**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:07am
Originally posted by starflower7 starflower7 wrote:

The Lion King (notice how all of the lions, except Scar, are a Golden color with red manes?)

My cousin pointed this out to me when we were younger. The messed up thing is he looks evil on sight and the artists knew the dark coloring would signal that in people's minds. I don't know if it's a subconscious thing all people have or if we have been trained to think that way.

My other cousin also pointed out colorism in Tyler Perry movies. She said the light skinned woman is always the educated or sensible one, but the dark woman is always the mother or she is on drugs. Idk because I don't watch Tyler Perry movies tbh.

Well "darkness" usually signifies the unknown, and xenophobia is not uncommon in any culture, really. However, I believe what you're talking about is just another product of institutionalized racism. 
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 9:57am
I disagree

You don't know how many times I've heard people say that Zoe "looks like a regular Black girl"

and she does. I have followed her career through the years and Zoe has gets all the comments other Black actresses do. She's only slightly more 'Hollywood acceptable' because she's very thin, dates White men exclusively and mingles with White people on the regular

Other than that, she gets the Black girl treatment

Originally posted by starflower7 starflower7 wrote:

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

As far as "thinner" features... I can agree that Zoe has a more refined face than Nina

Well damn, I guess my face is unrefined then...Ouch

Anyway, Zoe imo has a pretty wide nose but the rest of her face looks "Latina."

Nina is straight up regular black. They could have got a regular black person to do it. Plenty of us walking around.

Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:30am

I don't think that Zoe has what it takes to pull this role off.

However, I do think Zoe looks black.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>