BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kola Boof writes new article on Zoe Saldana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 11 Votes, Average 3.91  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 10:01pm
^^Good point. I didn't even care about Zoe playing Nina at first but you're right, rickyrose. Why didn't she just get a tan in order to show her dedication to getting into character? Every serious actor will go the extra mile to change their appearance to portray a particular role so why couldn't Zoe sit in the sun or under a tanning bed  for a few months? 

things that make you go hmmm.

Edited by noneyons - Nov 04 2012 at 10:01pm
Sponsored Links

PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 10:19pm
did anyone sign the petition?
Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 10:39pm
I agree
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 10:43pm
Lonisha, you look so pretty in your wedding gown!Big smile
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 10:59pm
Zoe Saldana's complexion is not so far off from Nina's to where I think it's a big deal

As far as "thinner" features... I can agree that Zoe has a more refined face than Nina

I think the most prominent physical feature about Nina Simone's appearance was her round cheeks/full face... This is why I can envision Whoopi Goldberg in the role before I could envision Viola Davis

I think Kola and others just threw 'Lauryn Hill' in the mix because she is dark brown and a musician.
But we shouldn't take for granted that these women are of a similar complexion. Lauryn Hill has more 'delicate' features than Zoe does.

However, I do think Zoe has to do too much in order to come close to Nina's entire appearance (hair, face, complexion and no singing talent on top of that) and she's not even that good of an actress to make sense of the hassle
teendiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Zoe Saldana's complexion is not so far off from Nina's to where I think it's a big deal

As far as "thinner" features... I can agree that Zoe has a more refined face than Nina

I think the most prominent physical feature about Nina Simone's appearance was her round cheeks/full face... This is why I can envision Whoopi Goldberg in the role before I could envision Viola Davis

I think Kola and others just threw 'Lauryn Hill' in the mix because she is dark brown and a musician.
But we shouldn't take for granted that these women are of a similar complexion. Lauryn Hill has more 'delicate' features than Zoe does.

However, I do think Zoe has to do too much in order to come close to Nina's entire appearance (hair, face, complexion and no singing talent on top of that) and she's not even that good of an actress to make sense of the hassle

I googled Yolanda Ross, who Boof mentioned in the "article," and she looks NOTHING like Nina.

starflower7 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote starflower7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Well damn, I guess my face is unrefined then...Ouch

Anyway, Zoe imo has a pretty wide nose but the rest of her face looks "Latina."

Nina is straight up regular black. They could have got a regular black person to do it. Plenty of us walking around.

starflower7 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote starflower7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 11:43pm
Someone asked if a darker black woman has ever played a lighter black woman. Angela Basset played Tina Turner interestingly enough.
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 11:51pm
man i thought people was just being mad just to be mad about zoe.. now that i see the pics. .shame just shame.. ugh...... Viola davis or whoopi and that's it should play NINA.. i will not be attending this movie.. and zoe ain't even light skin, people over here acting like black people's skin color is pitch black or sumthing LOL
sweet_n_stuff04 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet_n_stuff04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 12:01am
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

So...you dont get it? Here's a few points as to why this is all fcked up:

-Zoe Saldana, though a black woman, is donning blackface to play this role. If I have to explain to you why blackface is fcked up, there's no helping you, so you might as well stop reading this.

-Nina Simone, dark-skinned black woman, spent her entire career fighting against people who wanted/wished she was lighter and had thinner features, like Zoe Saldana has naturally. 

-Nina Simone's family does not support this movie, as the movie is basically a fictional story that does nothing but use Ms. Simone's name. How exactly does one take "artistic liscence" with the life of an actual person, and try to pass it off as a "biopic"?

-Nobody is questioning Zoe's capabilities, however, there are several actresses who are darker skinned who would at least aesthetically portray Nina more accurately. Hollywood seems to have no problem hiring darkskinned actors when they need villains  maids, so why is it so hard to do now??

Fixed...still good points though
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>