BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kola Boof writes new article on Zoe Saldana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 11 Votes, Average 3.91  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by used2braid used2braid wrote:

Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

Is it that deep though?Confused

The movie hasn't come out yet, maybe Zoe Saldana will play her well despite her the weird getup costume they put her in....

So...you dont get it? Here's a few points as to why this is all fcked up:

-Zoe Saldana, though a black woman, is donning blackface to play this role. If I have to explain to you why blackface is fcked up, there's no helping you, so you might as well stop reading this.

-Nina Simone, dark-skinned black woman, spent her entire career fighting against people who wanted/wished she was lighter and had thinner features, like Zoe Saldana has naturally. 

-Nina Simone's family does not support this movie, as the movie is basically a fictional story that does nothing but use Ms. Simone's name. How exactly does one take "artistic liscence" with the life of an actual person, and try to pass it off as a "biopic"?

-Nobody is questioning Zoe's capabilities, however, there are several actresses who are darker skinned who would at least aesthetically portray Nina more accurately. Hollywood seems to have no problem hiring darkskinned actors when they need villains, so why is it so hard to do now??

Hey, Hey I get it.

I'm just saying that movies like Just Wright, Most Tyler Perry movies, Think like a man, are meant to appeal to the black audiences. I don't know about you but those movies don't do too well here (white folk city). It's only movies like "Dream Girls" and ""Ray Charles" that have become popular because of the main cast; Jamie Foxx and Beyonce. Even the horrible movie "Obsessed" was a hit in the box office because Beyonce was the main woman.

In order to make this movie a "hit" then they kinda have to throw in a black chick that's more common than others. Does it really have to be about race??

Yes. Because America is not over race. I don't know if you've noticed, but the mainstream media has a very obvious preference for blacks of a lighter complexion and mixed heritage. It makes it harder for darker-skinned actors and actresses- actresses in particular.

When it comes to black, they don't want "too black." And if they want "blacker," it seems their new option is to get someone who isn't "too black" and black her up. It's disgusting.
Sponsored Links

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 4:42pm

Hey, Hey I get it.

I'm just saying that movies like Just Wright, Most Tyler Perry movies, Think like a man, are meant to appeal to the black audiences. I don't know about you but those movies don't do too well here (white folk city). It's only movies like "Dream Girls" and ""Ray Charles" that have become popular because of the main cast; Jamie Foxx and Beyonce. Even the horrible movie "Obsessed" was a hit in the box office because Beyonce was the main woman.

In order to make this movie a "hit" then they kinda have to throw in a black chick that's more common than others. Does it really have to be about race??

They could've used Viola Davis. After The Help, white people love them some Viola Davis. She fits the description more accurately, and I believe her abilities outweigh Zoe's. No blackface necessary. 

They could've gotten a big name actor to play her fictional love interest. 

Hell, they could've filmed the movie, taken it to Cannes or Sundance, won a couple of awards, got Oprah to endorse it, and it would've been a hit using relatively unknown actors. 

Zoe Saldana isnt even "that chick" to be considered an "obvious choice" just yet. 

ETA: What ever happened to that movie she was in with Bradley Cooper? Exactly. Stern Smile

I agree 100%. I mean, the choice was SOOOO OBVIOUS. The first thing I thought when I heard of this casting is why on earth didn't they pick HER??? She looks the part AND she's a phenomenal actress AND she's oscar nominated. But then again, maybe she would not want to get involved anyway, considering that this supposed "biopic" is complete fabrication
Sleek View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sleek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 4:45pm
I don't like Zoe nvr have........and yes this movie was not made for black audiences and yes Zoe is  the "official" black girl when casting for a black role in their eyes.....dummies I know tons of females who look and would play the hell out of Nina but its not what we think its what the $ can produce.
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

i get tired of Zoe. its like she tries too hard to tell people "yes, i'm black, but I can't complain about it b/c obama is prez." that line of thinking pisses me off...why does having a black president invalidate the racism/sexism in Hollywood, or anywhere? why does having him in office make you unable to speak out about it?

she's not a great actress...drumline and that one movie about the knock off Julliard was probably some of her best work tbh. 

casting zoe was a slap in the face b/c it basically goes against what nina was about, and I agree with that.

As if Obama and his family don't experience ridiculous amount of disrespect for their race. Sleepy People still try to use that man as an excuse to racism when he himself is not impervious to experiencing it?

exactly...its that same line of thinking that b/c we have obama in office we live in some "post racial" society when it is anything but. everytime she opens her mouth and says something like that, she perpetuates that and it is annoying.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 4:58pm
It's funny, I actually like Zoe Saldana and she probably feels like she's in a damn if I do, damn I don't situation. She is half columbian and she got all kinds of flack from Columbians for not being light enough for Columbiana and now she's not dark enough. I get the feeling that due to her background, she herself is somewhat confused as to racial issues. But hey, for her to go to the Dominican Republic and insist to the press that she is indeed a black woman is probably somewhat of a milestone (no sarcasm, just sayin')

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Nov 04 2012 at 4:59pm
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 5:07pm
She's Puerto Rican and Dominican, not Colombian. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 5:11pm

Oh, ok. My point was that it must have been odd for her to have people say that she does not look Columbian and to get dissed even by the president of that country. There are columbians who look like her. So I'm assuming that she's probably upset by folks now telling her that she's not dark enough to play Nina. From the things that she has said publicly, I get the sense that she would not be able to grasp why the opposition is so strong to her playing Nina even if you drew her a picture. She probably doesn't get it.
Flowing-Ice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 5:19pm
she's right. that sh*t is disgusting and rather insulting. 
are dark-skin women in some far off planet? 

they had to paint her and sh*t. eeeek. Dead
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Oh, ok. My point was that it must have been odd for her to have people say that she does not look Columbian and to get dissed even by the president of that country. There are columbians who look like her. So I'm assuming that she's probably upset by folks now telling her that she's not dark enough to play Nina. From the things that she has said publicly, I get the sense that she would not be able to grasp why the opposition is so strong to her playing Nina even if you drew her a picture. She probably doesn't get it.

I dont know why, though. I feel like she's being willfully ignorant if she "doesnt get it."  

Color issues arent some well kept secret. If she felt some sort of way about what Colombians said about her, then she should understand the concerns of black americans.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 5:32pm
IA with most everyone in this thread including the Kola letter.

I was truly done with it all when I saw her in black face, prosthetic nose and fake lips.

LOL @ Pocahontas in Space.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>