BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Knowing when to say no

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knowing when to say no
    Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 8:35am
This post is inspired by Bebe88's staple products thread.  We certainly know when a product or technique works well for your hair.  But it can be difficult to tell sometimes when a product is not for you and it's causing more harm than good.

I dang near went through this whole tube of deep conditioner before a lightbulb went off in my head.
LampThis conditioner is too thick and too heavy and it's pulling out my hair strands.

I always had huge shed hair balls after finger combing with this conditioner.  Using a too heavy product is just as bad as being heavy handed.

Please post the ways that you can tell when it's time to tell a product, tool or technique 
and move on to the next one.  I know some of you have some tangle teaser stories.  I wanna hear'emEvil Smile
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 9:54am
i dont have a lot of complaints about products because for that last few years if a product isnt to my liking i just add ingredients until i like it.  im also not really big on experimenting with products but there are a couple of things i have tried that were complete disasters.

for some reason about 3 years ago i started listening to these fool and believed that i need to reduce the amount of hair i was shedding and decided to do a tea rinse.  im not big on buying products but hell i had plenty of teaLOL.  i even put tea in a spray bottle and did little tea spritzes.  let me tell you, i have never in my life had so much shedding.  my hair was literally falling out.  i thought i was going bald.  my scalp told me on in no uncertain terms that tea is for drinking.LOL

when i started learning about tools ripping and breaking off hair, i through out anything and everything that caused breakage.  so i was on a search for a new comb and i saw a lot youtubers using this comb:

man, i looked everywhere for this comb and finally found it in a beauty supply store in a neighboring city for a buck.  it took me about a month or two before i realized that this comb was not only breaking my hair but breaking it off near the roots.  last year i broke down and finally invested in a good seamless comb and it was a hair saver.

imfunsized View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote imfunsized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 11:04am
Cowashing
I know it's popular amongst naturals but it was horrible on my hair. My scalp was literally full of build up, which led to constant itching which led to head sores smh. My hair was gross as well, full of buildup and residue. I had to let that go and ran straight to the store for some shampoo. I have not looked back since, I love shampoo and I will never betray it again.
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 6:44pm
I will try to be as general as possible:

*When you return to the house with your hair looking way different than when you left the house and the weather is way too neutral to have made a difference. With the right products your hair will be pretty predictable after it's been moisturized and fully dry(<--not dehydrated).

*When you can literally feel the moisture leaving your hair, your hair is dry but still continues to shrink.

*When your hair re-tangles after you've washed it while it wouldn't normally do that.

*In the event of curly hair, if your hair has more frizz than you can remember having and at the same time the elasticity of your hair is not as flexible where you're supposed to be able to smooth it back, you will notice resistance from your hair.

*If your hair has more tangles than usual or tangles faster than usual.

*When your hair snags too much on a tool the teeth may just be a bit too fine to use as a detangling tool and perhaps you need wider teeth to start with and then you can finish it off with the smaller teeth if you wish.

*Here is something that is difficult to tell but once you realize why it's not good for you a light bulb moment hits you. This is especially for those with dense hair that takes muuuuch longer to dry.

This is about a moisturizing technique: My personal experience is that I confused my wet hair with damp hair just because it wasn't dripping. It was starting to dry, but it was still wet and I'd moisturize and seal.

But it wasn't sealed properly because the water would leave my hair as it dries BUT so would whatever I used to seal in the moisture.

Eventually I learned that for me it's best to just T shirt dry my hair as much as possible(or diffuse with blow dryer) so that when I touch it, even in the center,that basically no water is on my hands and then spritz it with a softer water than what comes from my shower and tap, before moisturizing and sealing.

I only really started to realize when I saw it explained somewhere online and that's when I realized I was doing things wrong, some products were still not right for me but at least technique would not be the cause anymore, so I figured I'd add this one.

If these things have already been posted I apologize, I left without clicking post reply. Almost closed this window,lol.

mstinycurls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstinycurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 11:33pm
Omg...for me it was hair gel! 
    I remember at the beginning when I knew nothing about my hair I was trying to do the hair gel because everyone else was using it. LOL  My hair was a mess.   To this day, when I see a container of hair gel, I cringe.
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2013 at 8:28am
Oh thank you, thank you!

My hair was always dry and brittle when I used products with silicones.

Everyone raves about coconut oil and I tried to use it because everyone loves it but it just makes my hair hard.

For me, finger combing >>>>>> finger detangling.

I stopped using products that just sat on top of my hair.

Edited by bebe88 - Sep 22 2013 at 8:29am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2013 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by bebe88 bebe88 wrote:

Oh thank you, thank you!

My hair was always dry and brittle when I used products with silicones.

Everyone raves about coconut oil and I tried to use it because everyone loves it but it just makes my hair hard.

For me, finger combing >>>>>> finger detangling.

I stopped using products that just sat on top of my hair.

What do you mean?  What's the difference between finger combing and detangling?  My fingers are the best way to untangle my hair but I just go about it any which way.
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2013 at 1:53pm
I use my fingers like a comb to actually rake through my hair.

When people say they finger detangle, they are literally gently pulling the hair apart, not raking it.

I do a little detangling but the finger combing removes my tangles better.
chinadoll77 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinadoll77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 1:37am
Gel,and cowashing weren't for me...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 9:21am
Originally posted by chinadoll77 chinadoll77 wrote:

Gel,and cowashing weren't for me...

How did you come to that realization?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com