BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Kitchen Hair and Skin Care Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

For protein treatments that nourish the inside of the shaft,  try Braggs Liquid Aminos and Knox Gelatin.  Both are very good to nourish the INSIDE of the follicle.
I actually have to get some more Bragg Liquid Aminos because it contains hydrolyzed soy protein which is a protein molecule sufficiently small to enter the hair follicle. Also the knox gelatin  is hydrolyzed collagen which can also enter the follicle.

Regarding the question of eggs and mayo, although eggs and mayo do not contribute protein to the insideof the hair follicles they do coat the strand. They do therefore offer an external coating of protein similar to the way that ceramide oils coats the hair without necessarily entering the medula and cortex. For this reason, I do not wash the hair after my mayonnaise or egg treatment as I want it to remain on the strand. This is particularly useful as a temporary treatment of split ends. One may use Braggs Liquid Aminos as a natural source of hydrolyzed soy protein and Knox Gelatin as a source of hydrolyzed collagen. Both of which contain molecules sufficiently small to enter the follicles.

In the same way, jojoba oil can not penetrate inside the hair follicle the way that coconut or olive oil can. But this does not make jojoba oil any less of a beneficial a treatment for the hair. Non penetrating oils and proteins may benefit the surface of the hair.

The egg and mayonnaise ARE GOOD for external coatings of protein and the hydrolyzed products are good sources to penetrate the internal regions of the shaft. So treatments to the external and internal regions of the follicles are both beneficial to the hair in different ways. It would be beneficial to use them together for a more synergistic natural approach to address both the inside and the outside of the strands.

Benni, I got my Braggs online last time. But I am sure some health food stores may have it on the ground.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 29 2014 at 4:50pm
Sponsored Links

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 7:37pm
Thanks you
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2014 at 12:04pm
I am planning to make a knox gelatin with olive oil, eggs and mayonnaise this week. I wish I could find some Braggs Liquid Aminos to add to it also before the week is over.
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 1:30pm
Aradia I need your help with mixing together a Conditioner heavy with protein.

I have on hand

Coconut Oil, and Coconut Milk
Mayo. Eggs. Avocado.
EVOO, Grape Seed, Jojoba, Vit E Oils
Honey/Agave and Conditioners {Nourish Spa and Tea Tree Tingle}

I want to keep it simple but effective.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 4:27pm
Hi Benni,
There is SO much controversy about which protein rich food stuffs have molecules small enough to enter the follicles. My personal opinion is that it is irrelevant whether the protein molecules enter the follicle or simply coat it. That view is not popular by some. The way I see it, not all oils can penetrate the hair either, some just coat the hair but they all create wonderful sheen in the hair whether they are in the strand or on it. It is my contention that a coating of protein is good for strength as much as absorbed protein. Granted the one will last longer than the other, but that is another issue.

That being said, try to get a hydrolyzed source of protein.   What this means is a protein that is broken down into its component amino acids. The thought is that if it is hydrolyzed in water it should be easily absorbed into the strands. The coconut milk might be a good source for that at first glance. I leave coconut milk IN my hair as a leave in! Obviously, your Knox Gelatin is another source of protein/collagen that is in water or hydrolyzed. I personally would prefer to add an oil to my Knox gelatin mixture. And of course, since we are looking for proteins broken down into amino acids, I simply use Bragg Liquid Aminos. Mine came today YEAH!!! But yes, Braggs Liquid Aminos IS a source of hydrolyzed soy protein and amino acids and Knox Gelatin IS a source of hydrolyzed collagen protein. So both would even satisfy the molecule size critics.

Given all that, I would just use the Knox gelatin that you speak of using previously. Perhaps add an oil to it. Now if you want to know what I will be doing !!! I am going to add Braggs liquid aminos to Knox gelatin and fold mayonnaise and a beaten egg into that. To hell with those who say that only hydrolyzed proteins strengthen hair. My hair LOVES EGGS and Mayonnaise and I am doing this to MY HEAD not theirs so there  

PS I have no background in chemistry, but it is my understanding that adding a bit of lemon juice or acv (an acid) and water (hydrogen molecules) to an egg or other protein source will denature or hydrolyze it. Don't quote me on that but perhaps there is a chemist here who can give an answer to that.
http://www2.volstate.edu/chem/111internet/AminoAcids/hydrolysis_denaturation.html
http://kitchenscience.sci-toys.com/acids

Protein Hydrolysis & Denaturation
Protein Hydrolysis

Just as a molecule of water is formed when two amino acids are linked together, water (in the presence of acid or an enzyme) can be used to break a peptide bond.

PSS If the above equation is correct in the first link, then mayonnaise does contain hydrolyzed protein!!!

WHY? Well the recipe for mayo is eggs, oil and lemon juice! That is egg with the acid  which is necessary to break down the egg protein or hydrolyze it. As long as some water and lemon juice was used in the mayo formulation, mayonnaise is contains hydrolyzed protein!  So there nay sayers! I will read the labels on the mayonnaise jars at the market and see which one contains citric acid and water in addition to eggs.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jul 11 2014 at 7:53pm
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 7:09pm
Thanks Aradia for responding.   I really appreciate it

But from the ingredients I listed, what would you suggest I mix to get a decent treatment that would be more protein beneficial.

A few months ago my hair would not tolerate protein in any form.
Now I am so confused because now my hair craves protein
Am I over moisturizing      

I am not doing much different as far as hair care.
If my hair can switch teams on a dime, then I am in deep ----

Again, my hair is keeping me on my toes.

I am thinking probably I baggy too much

Thanks for your help

ps I will "look" at the links you posted, but surprise, surprise

two nights ago my PC somehow lost its Audio

I will take it in this weekend. Hopefully it's nothing major

Edited by Benni - Jul 11 2014 at 7:14pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 7:12pm
Well according to this, any of them with a bit of an acid like acv or lemon juice and water added would hydrolyze the protein in them. So given your list, you could use the mayo, egg, coconut milk ...whichever. Just add a bit of water and a bit of an acid like acv to it, whip it up and you've got a hydrolyzed protein treatment with the molecules broken down to smaller size  !!!

UPDATE:
Here are the ingredients of Hellman's Mayonnaise
SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, VINEGAR, SALT, SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY), NATURAL FLAVORS. GLUTEN-FREE

It has the eggs, the water, and the vinegar! So yes! Hellmans mayonnaise has protein + water+ acid...Therefore, it IS a HYDROLYZED protein!

To answer your question, the easiest would be to just use mayonnaise straight for hydrolyzed protein treatment. If anyone tells you otherwise, just show them this page 
Oh and if your hair is getting a lot more water now from baggy treatments then yes that does seem to explain why it craves more protein now to maintain a proper balance !
Sounds like you've got it under control. But from what I am reading, mayonnaise ABSOLUTELY contains protein molecules broken down into their smaller amino components such that they can penetrate hair (It is hydrolyzed) OH and I personally, would NOT shampoo after the mayonnaise. If anything, I would just rinse, run a bit of a cream rinse through the hair for a few seconds after and lightly rinse.

PS I would just check the ingredients to make sure it is REAL Mayonnaise. Make  sure it contains real whole eggs as well as some sort of acid and water and you're good Thumbs Up
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

Hi Benni,
There is SO much controversy about which protein rich food stuffs have molecules small enough to enter the follicles. My personal opinion is that it is irrelevant whether the protein molecules enter the follicle or simply coat it. That view is not popular by some. The way I see it, not all oils can penetrate the hair either, some just coat the hair but they all create wonderful sheen in the hair whether they are in the strand or on it. It is my contention that a coating of protein is good for strength as much as absorbed protein. Granted the one will last longer than the other, but that is another issue.

That being said, try to get a hydrolyzed source of protein.   What this means is a protein that is broken down into its component amino acids. The thought is that if it is hydrolyzed in water it should be easily absorbed into the strands. The coconut milk might be a good source for that at first glance. I leave coconut milk IN my hair as a leave in! Obviously, your Knox Gelatin is another source of protein/collagen that is in water or hydrolyzed. I personally would prefer to add an oil to my Knox gelatin mixture. And of course, since we are looking for proteins broken down into amino acids, I simply use Bragg Liquid Aminos. Mine came today YEAH!!! But yes, Braggs Liquid Aminos IS a source of hydrolyzed soy protein and amino acids and Knox Gelatin IS a source of hydrolyzed collagen protein. So both would even satisfy the molecule size critics.

Given all that, I would just use the Knox gelatin that you speak of using previously. Perhaps add an oil to it. Now if you want to know what I will be doing !!! I am going to add Braggs liquid aminos to Knox gelatin and fold mayonnaise and a beaten egg into that. To hell with those who say that only hydrolyzed proteins strengthen hair. My hair LOVES EGGS and Mayonnaise and I am doing this to MY HEAD not theirs so there  

PS I have no background in chemistry, but it is my understanding that adding a bit of lemon juice or acv (an acid) and water (hydrogen molecules) to an egg or other protein source will denature or hydrolyze it. Don't quote me on that but perhaps there is a chemist here who can give an answer to that.
http://www2.volstate.edu/chem/111internet/AminoAcids/hydrolysis_denaturation.html
http://kitchenscience.sci-toys.com/acids

Protein Hydrolysis & Denaturation
Protein Hydrolysis

Just as a molecule of water is formed when two amino acids are linked together, water (in the presence of acid or an enzyme) can be used to break a peptide bond.

PSS If the above equation is correct in the first link, then mayonnaise does contain hydrolyzed protein!!!

WHY? Well the recipe for mayo is eggs, oil and lemon juice! That is egg with the acid  which is necessary to break down the egg protein or hydrolyze it. As long as some water and lemon juice was used in the mayo formulation, mayonnaise is contains hydrolyzed protein!  So there nay sayers! I will read the labels on the mayonnaise jars at the market and see which one contains citric acid and water in addition to eggs.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jul 12 2014 at 9:46am
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 9:13pm
Thanks For your input Aradia I saw a Video recently that required EVOO, Egg, Avocado, Coconut Oil, Mayo, Egg, Honey and ACV.

Everything seemed okay except the AVG for a conditioner....In my opinion

I will add it in and see what results I get.

I really need to take my PC in for an overhaul

I will let you know how it turns out.   ACV would not be too bad an idea since I am doing "Inversion" and need to get the Oils out.

Thank You

Yes, It's Real Mayo.

I am beginning to think the Baggy (at least for me] is not good to use daily.
I simply do it so that whatever is on my hair would not be absorbed through the scarf onto my pillowcase, then to my face.
I just don't want to be too conscious of my sleep positions.

Thanks a Mil

Edited by Benni - Jul 11 2014 at 9:21pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 1:40am
Bear in mind Benni the vinegar does not play a leading role at all!
To make about a cup of mayo for instance only requires addition of about ONE tablespoon of vinegar or acid. It is a very minor ingredient just to break up the molecules in the protein which is the main player. So please dont go putting too much vinegar in the hair which I personally dislike totally. Regular mayo out of the jar can be used straight with nothing added. Or you can add about 1 tbspn vinegar or lemon juice to your protein containing ingredients (like eggs) to break down the molecules with some water. I would do that either in a blender or with a good whisking. HTH

PS you could make your own mayo with an egg, a cup of oil and the tbspn vinegar in a blender and a bit of water. That should give you an idea of the proportions of acid used to hydrolyze your protein.

Perhaps this is one reason I personally do not use vinegar in my hair. Just as vinegar BREAKS DOWN THE PROTEIN IN THE EGG, it can do the same thing to the protein in your own hair! So I am not one who uses acv with water on my hair because it will break down the protein structure of the hair itself also. The small spoonful of vinegar you use in your eggs or whatever is fine because it is only enough to react with that product.

OH, and I went to the dollar store today and got me a $1.00 jar of mayonnaise for a hydrolyzed protein/hot oil treatment in one! YEAH!! I read the label and got the one  that had real eggs in it. They did have an imitation  mayo that had some sort of egg powder in it instead of real eggs LOL. Forgot to    get my dollar store cream rinse to cowash while I was there. Oh well.

If I were going to use something in my hair that could risk breaking down the protein in the hair,    , I would go with a hair color or a perm or something instead of vinegar. At least I would have something pretty to show for the potential damage to the hair   So use only a small amount of acv like a spoonful that would be only enough to work on the eggs and whisk it all together in a bowl before adding it to the hair. Remember, acids in water break down proteins (even the ones in the hair).

So I went to the dollar store today and got a jar of real mayonnaise for a hydrolyzed protein /hot oil treatment in one! YEAH!  I had to read the label though because they had another imitation mayo there that did not have real eggs in it. I got the one with real eggs and real soy oil. Forgot to get my dollar store cream rinse while I was there. oh well... Can't wait to do mayonnaise treatments regularly!

Edited by LadyAradia - Jul 12 2014 at 1:40pm
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 3:15pm
Aradia this is the recipe I found it's by 'Mo Knows Hair' YT

I will tweek it though for the Ingredients I have

Mo's Homemade Conditioner

Ingredient benefits:

◾Avocado contains more than 25 essential vitamins and nutrients that are great for hair, skin and a healthy diet. For hair, avocado restores natural luster, helps prevent breakage and supports healthy hair growth.

◾Eggs are rich in fats and protein that help make follicles stronger to promote healthy growth. The yolk provides moisture and the whites help remove build-up making eggs a great balancing ingredient.

◾Honey is a humectant that pulls water out of the air giving you natural moisture. It also adds shine and promotes healthy growth.

◾Coconut oil has lots of benefits as a moisturizer and treatment. It can be used to restore moisture and natural shine to heat damaged hair and prevent or lessen dandruff. It also coats and conditions the hair acting as a sealant and protectant from the elements.

◾Jojoba oil is the only oil whose molecular structure is like the oil our scalps produce. This makes it perfect for restoration of moisture of the scalp and strands as it will more easily absorb and hydrate without tampering with your scalp’s natural balance. It is also known to add volume to strands and prevent breakage.

◾Argan oil is said to be excellent for hydrating, repairing, conditioning hair, scalp and skin. It is also more resistant to oxidation than other types of oil (meaning it won’t lose its nutrients as quickly once exposed). Argan oil also has a low molecular weight allowing it to instantly penetrate into the hair shaft without weighing hair down.

◾Apple cider vinegar is known to stimulate healthy hair growth, reduce frizz, prevent split ends, combat itchy or dry scalp, act as a detangler as it smoothes and seals the cuticle, and it can be used as a gentle scalp cleanser…basically, it does some of everything!

How to:

Gather your ingredients:
◾avocado, 1
◾egg, 1 large
◾honey, 1 tbsp
◾virgin (unrefined) coconut oil, 2 tbsp
◾jojoba oil, 2 tbsp
◾Argan oil, 1 tbsp
◾apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup

1.Combine and blend ingredients until mixture is smooth.

2.Rinse your hair in barely warm water for two minutes.

3.Pour the conditioner on your hair from roots to ends, gently massaging it in for even distribution.

4.Cover with a plastic cap and sit under a hooded dryer for 7-10 minutes, or sit up to 15 minutes without a dryer.

5.Rinse conditioner thoroughly with cool water for about two minutes.

6.If you are co-washing, follow-up with your favorite leave-in and style as usual, or if you are deep conditioning, follow with your favorite shampoo and conditioner with leave-in, then style as usual.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>