BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Kitchen Hair and Skin Care Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kitchen Hair and Skin Care Challenge
    Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 3:06pm
Hello ladies! This challenge is to use as many items from the kitchen for excellent, NATURAL hair care as much as possible for the next 12 months. This may be the beginning of a life long healthy hair regimen. There are growth aids, moisturizers, sealers, protein treatments, conditioning agents, leave ins, styling aids, curl tighteners, curl looseners, hair lighteners, all in your kitchen! I will share the recipes I know and others may research and share what they know as well!

Everyone is welcome to join this challenge. Let's get our hair long, strong and healthy with home made products from the kitchen!

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 03 2014 at 3:06pm
Sponsored Links

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 3:22pm
Yucca Root Shampoo

I never tried this one and really have no desire to. I really do love my dollar store cream rinses for cowashing.

Marshmellow Root - The BEST Detangler 

I may try this one. You can buy marshmellow root online from herbal suppliers.

Mayonnaise, egg, oil Conditioner

Mayonnaise is a very creamy  mixture of egg and natural oil. It is a wonderful treat for dry hair. The egg in mayonnaise provides strength to the hair while the oil is highly nourishing to the hair  as well.  

Yogurt, egg and natural oil Conditioner
Yogurt or curd has been used in the hair for centuries by women in India along with many natural oils.

Coconut Milk as Leave In Conditioning Setting Lotion

Coconut Milk as Conditioner and Growth Aid

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 04 2014 at 11:16am
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 4:19pm
NATURAL OILS
Of course the natural oils are excellent for the hair!
Coconut oil is one of the best along with Olive Oil. But there are several oils from the kitchen which also have benefits for the hair. Feel free to share you favorite oils and recipes from the kitchen!

NATURAL BUTTERS
Shea Butter is one excellent butter that is used as a conditioning agent, leave in as well as a styling aid.

FLAXSEED GEL

ALOE VERA GEL

GROWTH AID MASK with Mustard powder

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 03 2014 at 4:36pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 10:40am
Mayonnaise, egg and olive oil deep conditioner

Avocado Hair Smoothing Mask

Bamboo Tea Hair Rinses with Silica for Hair Growth. Green tea and black tea may also be used.

Yogurt, Bragg Liquid Aminos for curl definition with less frizz. I am personally uncomfortable with the baking soda in this on porous hair.  It may be ok on low porosity hair a couple times.

Hair smoothing mask with Yogurt
Yogurt, or curd, and oil have been used for centuries on the hair in India.

Caramel Molasses Moisture Treatment

Coconut Milk, Lemon juice, Olive oil  to loosen curls. Soak hair in coconut oil overnight before this treatment.

Natural hair straightening treatment made from coconut milk, olive oil, lemon juice and cornstarch.  @ http://seduhairstylestips.com

Natural hair straightening treatment made from coconut milk, olive oil, lemon juice and cornstarch. @seduhairstylestip... Apply at least 1 hour weekly for at least 6 weeks to see results. This formula has been used by Asian women for centuries for their coveted straight locks.

Hair lightening/ OMBRE with hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide and water are often used in the kitchen also to rinse vegetables. Here is a simple spray to lighten hair. Mist on hair everyday until desired color is achieved.  Soak hair in coconut oil overnight before this treatment.

Lighten hair with lemon juice. Soak hair in coconut oil overnight before this treatment. Cinnamon, camomile tea, and honey may enhance lightening.

Spray/ Mist hair with Coffee, Black Tea to cover gray or darken hair. Indigo may also darken hair when mixed with henna.
Caffeine is also a growth aid

Mrs. Stewart's Blueing mixed in shampoo or conditioner to brighten gray and blonde hair. It also eliminates brassy or yellow hues. 

Henna, steeped hibiscus,  rose petals to add  reddish hues.

Coconut OIL for moist, supple hair that retains length!
Coconut oil should also be used as a pre treatment the night before relaxers, peroxide hair colors, bleach and even before shampoo!

Vegetable Glycerine Hair Moisturizer

Honey as humectant ingredient with other conditioners

Salt to tighten hair's curl pattern.
Epsom salt, baking soda salt, table salt, or sea salts in water with oil and conditioner as a spray will kink up and dry out the hair a lot on type 3/4 hair. I only recommend this for types 1 and 2 who want more random fluff and tighter pattern in their hair. I DO NOT RECOMMEND SALTS AT ALL FOR TYPES 3s or 4s! Use at your own risk of long term dryness and breakage.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 07 2014 at 9:48am
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:17pm
In an effort to deal with the humidity making my hair draw up, I did the coconut milk with lemon juice treatment to loosen my curls for an hour. I applied it ONLY to my bangs to test it out.  I followed this with the mayonnaise treatment for deep conditioning. I cowash the mayonnaise out with some dollar store White Rain cream rinse.
Afterward I will air dry a bit drenched in coconut oil. We will see if I can see any difference in the wave pattern at the bangs compared to the rest of the head after I do this a few more weeks. Wink
Oh, and while I was air drying I decided set the hair on some purple jumbo magnetic rollers with snap on caps with nothing except coconut oil left in the hair. Will do a simple bun and/or nightly wraps afterward for the rest of the week.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 06 2014 at 2:47pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 4:21pm
OMG OMG! THIS is what conditioned hair should feel like!
I used the mayonnaise deep condition then rinsed well and cowashed with $1.00 cream rinse. Applied liberal amount of coconut oil on wet hair and rolled it. Last night I had applied liberal amount of coconut oil before I went to bed. 
NO store bought conditioner has EVER made my hair feel as good as simply:
  • coconut oil pre cleanse
  • Mayonnaise  as dc (no shampoo before, only wet hair)
  • cowash w/ cheapo cream rinse  (NO SHAMPOO)
  • coconut oil leave in
This is all 100% NATURAL except the dollar store cream rinse. I have found my new wash day regimen. Regarding the coconut milk/lemon or lime on front hairline/bang to loosen texture I will update after further observations with 5 subsequent weekly applications.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 07 2014 at 7:35am
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 6:50am
WELCOME LADIES! 
If you want to give it a try too, feel free to join this all natural KITCHEN HAIR AND SKIN CARE CHALLENGE!
Post your before photos and tell which of these treatments you would like to use. Also share any other natural treatments you would like to make a regular part of your healthy hair journey.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 07 2014 at 6:55am
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 1:08pm
I must tell you that when I rinsed out the coconut milk with lemon juice mixture after an hour yesterday , my 3b bangs and hairline DID appear a little looser. The treated hair in the front was definitely  looser than the rest of the curls on my head and that was exactly what I am going for. I only treated the front because I did not want to risk any damage to my length from the lemon juice in the mixture.  ALSO, when I went out today after I rollerset it last night, the bangs did NOT frizz up and my hair did not shrink or draw up!!!!! I don't know if there was a lot less humidity today or if my hair was weighed down by the mayonnaise dc or what but it seemed to behave a LOT better today. My bangs and feathers were behaving more like big fat botticelli curls instead of like frizzy 3b/cs. This is exactly what I was going for. Really, I just want my roller sets or wraps to last as styled instead of shrinking up with a mind of its own when I go outside in the heat. I had that today so I'm very happy for a change.

I remember that this is the 2nd time I have done this actually as I forgot I tried it already about a few weeks ago.  I think this is something you pretty much have to do as a prepoo before each and every single co wash to get any real results. I  WILL do this again as a pre treatment before each co wash for the next few months and update again. And I will try to leave it on 2 hours next time.  I am not sure if the behavior today was a fluke or what but so far I like this treatment a lot.

The mayonnaise and coconut was also the absolute BOMB! I LOVE them together along with $ store cream rinse. So far I could not  be happier.

Now back to coconut oil application 3 times/week, as a cowash pretreatment over night, and hard core bun protective styling to grow some hair!

Edited by LadyAradia - Jun 07 2014 at 1:48pm
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 9:03pm
How did I miss this Thread

I love using homemade mixtures on my hair.

Lady A you are so knowledgeable in natural hair care,    we can learn a lot from you

I'm IN !!!
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 10:13pm
Thank you Benni! You are very knowledgeable about skin care yourself. I love your thread about your skin care journey. Please contribute about skin and hair here too!!Thumbs Up
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>