Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Kimchi...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
K_Camille View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 10:21am
I want to try it.  It always looks so flavorful.
Sponsored Links

SeducTress View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SeducTress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 11:21am
I want to try it non-spicy. It looks so damn tasty

But that's lowkey embarrassing.... so guess I'll have to find it in WholeFoods (already appropriated for me)LOL
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 11:28am

randomish 

but if anyones interested in knowing a lil more about it and the diff versions. theres a recipe in the link too.
 (cant make it clickable for whatev reason)
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/21/crisis-in-korea-kimchi

Crisis in Korea as younger generation abandons kimchi

Traditionalists fear for national dish, amid changing tastes and trade war with China

South Korea kimchi

Yakult workers in Seoul make kimchi in an annual event to help people in need. Photograph: Jeon Heon-Kyun/EPA

Its unmistakable smell permeates Seoul subway carriages during the rush hour, and aficionados claim it is the healthiest food on the planet.

Once valued as a source of vitamin C before the arrival of refrigerators, kimchi now crops up on menus far from its birthplace on the Korean peninsula. The spicy, garlicky cabbage dish is to be found as a pizza topping and taco filling in the UK, Australia and the US, where the Obamas are said to be converts. Kimjang, the traditionally communal act of making kimchi, was recently awarded world cultural heritage status byUnesco.

But despite its growing popularity in restaurants from Los Angeles to London, South Korea's national dish is in crisis in its country of origin. To kimchi's basic ingredients of napa cabbage, garlic, seasoning and copious amounts of chilli power, we can now add a trade war with China and fears of lasting damage to Korean cultural identity.

According to the World Institute of Kimchi, South Korea's kimchi exports were worth $89.2m (£54m) in 2013, down 16% on the previous year. But imports – almost all of which come from China – rose almost 6% to $117.4m. That left the South Koreans with a kimchi deficit of more than $28m – and a wound to their national pride that has festered since the trade imbalance first appeared in 2006.

"It's a shame that so much of our kimchi comes from China," said Kwon Seung-hee, who teaches tourists how to make the dish at her guesthouse in Seoul. "It's cheap, but it doesn't taste as good as ours. I can tell straight away if I'm eating imported kimchi."

The kimchi deficit should have been foreseen, perhaps, when the dish made the transition from luxury food to popular staple in the late 18th century. To keep up with demand, Korea began importing cabbages from China.

Kimchi is an indispensable part of the Korean diet, with South Koreans eating almost 2m tonnes every year. Though it often appears in stews and soups, no meal is considered complete without a side dish of cabbage kimchi, along with variations made from daikon radish, cucumber, perilla leaf or a host of other seasonal vegetables.

"The making of kimchi … is a culture that continues to be shared by virtually all Koreans and is a significant part of their lives," Park Hei-woong, a cultural heritage administration official, said when the Unesco status was announced at the end of last year, adding that kimchi-making maintained the "cohesiveness of Korean communities … and is an essential part of the Korean cultural identity".

There are an estimated 100 varieties from the fresh, crunchy dish preferred in the north to the more pungent version commonly eaten further south. According to the cultural heritage administration in Seoul, about 95 percent of Koreans eat kimchi more than once a day; more than 60 percent have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

According to Jia Choi, president of O'ngo Food Communications, a cookery school in Seoul, kimchi forms the basis of a perfectly balanced meal: several dishes made with seasonal vegetables, with a smaller quantity of rice or noodle dishes providing the carbohydrate.

Traditionally, meat was never considered part of the Korean culinary jigsaw, and the famed barbecue restaurants that line Seoul's streets today only took off after the city hosted the summer Olympics in 1988.

"The Unesco award certainly gave us an added sense of pride," said Choi, who hopes kimchi's international recognition will boost consumption among her young compatriots. "Interest in traditional Korean traditional cuisine is waning. Kids today eat a more varied diet that includes a lot more western food, and that's why kimchi consumption is declining year after year."

Kimchi in KoreaA stall selling kimchi in South Korea. Photograph: Justin McCurry for the Guardian

If children develop a kimchi habit while dining out, they will almost certainly be served the Chinese version. Chinese kimchi is cheaper and, for most diners, impossible to identify as a "fraud". The trade deficit, coupled with declining consumption at home, has been described by one politician as an ordeal "as harsh as a Korean winter". But South Koreans are now looking beyond their own borders to secure kimchi's long-term future.

Korean cuisine has been part of the trendy food scene in parts of California for several years and was among Forbes magazine's top 10 food trends of 2013.

Kimchi and other staples such as bulgogi [], japchae [] and samgyeopsalare also finding their way on to menus in parts of the areas of the UK outside the Korean expat enclave of New Malden.

Many Britons had their first taste of kimchi, along with more than 100 other Korean foods during a two-week Tesco promotion at the end of last year, when overall imports of Korean food products to the UK rose 135 percent compared with 2012.

And after years of being overlooked, Korean cuisine has joined other Asian cuisines on the UK celebrity chef beat, as demonstrated by the Hairy Bikers in a programme from South Korea that aired this week.

"We need to keep pushing Korean-made kimchi as authentic, in the same way that European countries promote their cheese and wine," said Choi. "We're a tiny country compared to China, so although we can't compete in terms of volume, we can remind people around the world that our kimchi is authentic and safe."

Edited by coconess - Mar 23 2014 at 11:29am
SeducTress View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SeducTress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 2:08pm
The Chinese will replicate you if you stand still long enoughDisapprove

That's so messed up lol

How they gonna knock-off kim fukking chi. Seriously! lmao
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 2:10pm
I had some a while ago from a Korean market. Didn't really leave an impression. I may try it again... dunno
Josephuss View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josephuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 6:02pm
being half korean kimchi is one of my favorite things to eat. its spicy to some if you're  not  use to it but not so much  if you  are. I think im due  to eat some  now
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 7:42pm
I have had some when dining out at restaurants before. My bf prefers his mom's. He had her send him a care package. It was good. After having that I won't buy those soggy ones they sell in some places.
DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2014 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

I've always wanted to try some!! I watch K-Dramas and ooooh it always looks so delicious when they show some!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>eye to eye the same here<<<<<<<<<<<<<< ...don't it on tv??? 

i found out today the guy's fiance said i ate it all wrong...i should have cut the cucumber and put the spicy part into the cucumber and eat it that way...Shocked....ok that sounds better....lol..
DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2014 at 1:08am
now i wanna try fishcakes...his girlfriend will make some and bring it in....this cultural food tasting is very interesting....
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2014 at 1:37am
For some reason I cannot stand the cabbage/bok choy version but I can eat a bucketful of the radish version.  I miss hitting up H-Mart Cry.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic