Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Keyon Dooling talks about his sexual abuse...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.75  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keyon Dooling talks about his sexual abuse...
    Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:04am

Keyon Dooling stayed in a psychiatric hospital this summer, talks with Katie Couric about his history of abuse (VIDEO)

By Eric Freeman | Ball Don't Lie – 6 hours ago

Keyon and Natosha Dooling on the set of "Katie" (Ida Mae Astute/ ABC via Getty Images).Keyon and Natosha Dooling on the set of "Katie" (Ida Mae Astute/ ABC via Getty Images).

In late September, veteran Boston Celtics guard Keyon Dooling surprised the NBA world when he announced his retirement less than two months after signing a new contract. However, it turned out that Dooling had an excellent reason for his decision. After years of suppressing a history of sexual abuse, Dooling understood that he had to open up about his experiences, that he needed a change in his life, and that he had to spend more time with his family. It was a brave choice for a man who had earned the respect of teammates, opponents, coaches, and employers over the course of 12 seasons in the league.

Until now, though, we haven't heard much about the experiences this summer that led Dooling to step away from basketball. As detailed by David Aldridge of NBA.com, Dooling dealt with hallucinations and related issues brought on by a form of post-traumatic stress disorder and had to spend a significant amount of time in a psychiatric hospital. The entire story is worth reading — it follows Aldridge's report on the Lakers' hiring of Mike D'Antoni — but here's a brief glimpse into what Dooling went through:

Dooling was exhibiting behaviors familiar to soldiers returning from war zones. But Post Traumatic Stress Disorders aren't limited to those who fight in wars. Police officers, firefighters, anyone subject to a severe emotional episode can suffer from PTSD. Dooling's problems came to a head in August.

He was at home, playing in the street in front of his home with his kids. A neighbor thought he was playing too roughly with the kids and called the police. There is uncertainty about how many officers showed up -- 10? 12? 20? -- but it was more than one. The Doolings were new to the neighborhood. They know the police were just doing their job, responding to a call. But a bunch of cops showing up, unannounced, banging on your door is a little disconcerting.

"So I ran to the door to see what was going on," Keyon Dooling said. "I was like, 'Who is this knocking like they're the damn police?' That's what I said to myself. So when I got to the door, it was really the police. They was like, 'Get on the ground, get on the ground, get on the ground!' So I got on the ground." [...]

Dooling was taken away and hospitalized for evaluation. He didn't remember voluntarily signing into the hospital. The details are hazy, in part, because he was immediately put on medication. One of the primary symptoms of PTSD is paranoia, and Dooling was surely paranoid. He didn't want to see anybody -- or anybody to see him.

"They try to find the right dosage of medicine," he said. "Unfortunately, the dosages are so high that they start out with, all the side effects hit you. And unfortunately, it's [during] visiting hours. So when my wife was coming, I was scared, because I had no control over what I said, what I thought. It was a bad situation." [...]

After a week, Dooling was ready to leave the hospital. But he had a lot of work yet to do. He knew playing this season would make no sense, which led to the abrupt retirement. He had made strides spiritually. But he had to deal with the memories of the abuse. He had never told Natosha.

It's a fascinating, deeply moving story. What's most impressive, perhaps, is that Dooling isn't using a retirement solely as a chance to work on personal issues — he has also emerged as an advocate for victims of sexual abuse. Last Thursday, Dooling and his wife Natosha appeared on Katie Couric's new talk show "Katie" to talk about his history, why he stayed silent, and how he and others are attempting to help fellow victims. Check out these four clips (via Celtics blog Red's Army):

Note: These videos feature very frank, adult (though not especially graphic) discussions of Dooling's history of sexual abuse.

Dooling describes his atypical sexual education and how his abuse began:

The Doolings discuss the prevalence of abuse in the inner city and how Keyon came to understand he had been abused:

Sponsored Links

beebeexx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beebeexx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:09am
that police >> hospital story sounds shady as hell. 
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:09am
He describes how the abuse began here

He describes how he came to know he was abused here

Or you can just go to the yahoo link to watch the interview with Katie Curic

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/keyon-dooling-stayed-psychiatric-hospital-summer-talks-katie-225458656--nba.html

Edited by Random Thoughts - Nov 13 2012 at 12:11am
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:14am
I watched that Katie episode

Didn't know who he was but inspiring, nonetheless
Good for him for speaking up about it

Edited by Alias_Avi - Nov 13 2012 at 12:15am
Brownsugar1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brownsugar1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:15am
the police didn't even question him about what happened and they straight up baker act him like that 
this is so sad Broken Heart

Eden. View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Eden. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:22am

I felt Katie came off as insensitive. Is this how she usually is? Or is it just my white ppl paranoia?

I wanted to slap her when he was trying to describe his fam/community dynamic. I get frustrated like that with my therapist sometimes.

Asking them about the prevalence of child molestation in the inner city. Bruh..

But i'm so happy for him. It's never too late to recover.

Edited by Eden. - Nov 13 2012 at 12:23am
starflower7 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starflower7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:24am
Uh I'll watch it all later but when I was in about the second-third grade I was at summer camp, and you know how they have older kids over the younger kids. There was this boy who was about twelve and an older girl (she looked grown to me when I was that age but now I realize she was about seventeen) "She said, "Ooh boy your lips is so luscious" and she grabbed his head and kissed him full on the mouth. This was in the middle of the lunch room but there were only a few people there. I knew it was wrong because she was a counselor and she was supposed to be watching us but I never said anything. So yeah some thirsty older women will definitely take advantage of young boys.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:24am
I liked what he said about redefining rejection as 'redirection'...

I gotta rememba that
nycdiva357 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:25am
glad that he's speaking about it.

sexual abuse is already a taboo subject.
but especially so for males.

he's using his platform to bring awareness to a problem-- and i have nothing but respect for him.
Eden. View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eden. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:26am
I seen a childhood friend get molested. I mentioned it years after telling him if he ever wanted to talk I was here for him blah blah blah and he slapped me. lol

I didn't trip but I left it alone. I wonder how he's doing now.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic