Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Key to Climbing Out of Poverty: Location, Location
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Key to Climbing Out of Poverty: Location, Location

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Key to Climbing Out of Poverty: Location, Location
    Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 3:18am
Sum'ray: Just look at the map and the bold words right above it.

Key to climbing out of poverty: Location, location, location

- 
Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:41 AM EDT

Michael Ochs Archives / Getty Images

The cast of the TV sitcom 'The Jeffersons' (L-R Back Row: Franklin Cover, Paul Benedict, Sherman Hemsley, Marla Gibbs, Ned Wertimer and Berlinda Tolbert, Front Row: Roxie Roker, Isabel Sanford and Mike Evans) circa 1975 in Los Angeles, Calif.

In 1970s sitcom America, George and “Weezie” Jefferson were able move on up from a derelict neighborhood to Archie and Edith Bunker’s working-class neighborhood and then, finally to a deluxe apartment in the sky on Manhattan’s wealthy East Side. They were finally getting their piece of the pie.

In today’s real America, it’s not that easy. Since the 1970s, income inequality in America and “the hollowing out of the middle class” has increased at an historic rate.

And now there is new research, published this week, showing that when it comes to the chances that a poor child born in America can climb up from the lowest rungs on the economic ladder, where that child lives may be more telling than previously thought. The researchers started by looking narrowly at questions of tax policy for poor parents, when they discovered something surprising but unmistakable in their data.

“Location matters, place matters,” says Nathaniel  Hendren, a Harvard professor and one of the authors of the study. When it comes to a low-income child having a chance to climb up the economic ladder, “it matters where you grow up.”

That climb, the study shows, happens most commonly in the Northeast and the West, along with parts of the upper Midwest and much of Texas. New York, Boston, Seattle, Salt Lake City and Houston give a poor child a decent fighting chance. (In the map below, lighter colors indicate higher mobility; darker colors indicate lower mobility).

The odds of children from poor families moving into the middle class are significantly lower in the Southeast and industrial Midwest. Atlanta, Charlotte, Memphis, Raleigh, Indianapolis, and Columbus are some of the metropolitan areas where upward mobility seems to be seriously limited.

NBC News spoke with Hendren via telephone.

NBC News: When I read your study, the phrase that kept going through my mind was ‘location, location, location.’

Hendren: Yes, what the study suggests is that it matters where you grow up. The extent to which people rise out of poverty varies a lot across areas, and in ways that, to be honest, we don’t fully understand. 

Were you surprised that geography seemed to be so strongly correlated with the ability to move up the economic ladder?

Yes. What surprised us was the extent to which people from poor backgrounds in different areas earn different amounts and have different economic outcomes. What that suggests to us is that there are places out there that are good at helping people rise out of poverty. What we hope is that future researchers will use the data and think about what it is about place that makes it effective at getting people out of poverty and making them more economically mobile.

You found there are some factors that set upwardly mobile cities apart from others: a large and geographically dispersed middle class so that lower and upper classes live among one another; good schools; a high share of two-parent households; and populations engaged with religious and community organizations. If every area had those four things, would economic mobility be greater?

Difficult to say. I think what we identified are things that are characteristic of places that are upwardly mobile. What that calls us to do is understand why those areas are good at helping people rise out of their parents’ economic situation.

The study also suggested that mobility has its upside: for rich people. People born into relative wealth seem to stay wealthy, and they don’t seem to have a big risk of falling down the ladder.

People at the top do do better than people at the bottom. That certainly comes through when we do look at the data.

What is the message, then, for lower-income people who are trying to do everything right, yet who happen to live in any one of the places where you have found there can be very little economic mobility? Are they doomed?

I guess that is one way to look at it. But the flip side is to say there are places that are good, and the direction we encourage other people to think about is, what is it about a place that really makes it more mobile and helps people pursue the so-called American dream?

How can more cities be as mobile as places like San Francisco, Salt Lake City or Houston ?

I think you’re asking the million-dollar question.

Editor’s note: this interview has been edited and condensed.

http://inplainsight.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/23/19620629-key-to-climbing-out-of-poverty-location-location-location?lite

What say you BHM? The super intelligent comment section of the article has decided the south is made up of all Black people and that is the reason why they don't have economic mobility.Dead

Edited by carolina cutie - Jul 24 2013 at 3:18am
Sponsored Links

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 3:52am
When it comes to studies like these, I now automatically assume it's this way for white people.

I think location plays the biggest role.. for them. With us, we have added obstacles. I hope I'm not coming off as a pessimist.
OrriannaRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrriannaRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 3:59am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

I think location plays the biggest role.. for them. With us, we have added obstacles. I hope I'm not coming off as a pessimist.

I agree.
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 7:10am
Idk why this made me think of susu's...

Completely unrelated, I know...for some reason it popped in my head as I was reading the article.

NadiaPost View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NadiaPost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 7:18am
My mom doesn't know the majority of the Jefferson cast are all dead. I don't have the heart to tell her that the only cast members alive are Jenny and Florence
NadiaPost View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote NadiaPost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 7:21am
A lady at my old church had a wig just like Weezies. She had that wig for many many many years. From as far back as I can remember from age 7 to 14 she wore that same wig. Must have been her favorite. She would catch the holy spirit and that wig would never move. It stayed put. They don;t make strong wigs like that anymore
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 9:37am
Isn't just for whites.
I know families that moved from Chicago to Wisconsin an Minnesota and they are doing much better. .
If I said it once, ill say it 1000 times, black people need to call on the experience of our grandparents and chase opportunities, you can't sit and wait for them to come to you.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 9:42am
Yep leave then come back
ScorpioLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScorpioLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 9:51am
I'm from NY but thinking of relocating to Md. What color is the DC/Md/Va area?
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 10:16am
Originally posted by ScorpioLuv ScorpioLuv wrote:

I'm from NY but thinking of relocating to Md. What color is the DC/Md/Va area?

Looks light, surrounded by red though
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System