Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Skin Care > Skin Care - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keratosis Pilaris aka small black dots on legs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
C.Shymika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.Shymika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2012 at 8:56am

Yes CindyDennis is correct KP is caused by an overproduction of keratin in the hair follicle.  There are several different forms of this disease (don’t get put off by the word “disease”). 

• Keratosis pilaris rubra: red, inflamed bumps
  • Keratosis pilaris Alba: rough, white, bumpy skin
  • Keratosis pilaris rubra faceii: reddish rash over the cheeks
  • Keratosis pilaris atrophicans: a genetic clogging of the pores and follicles with keratin, which leads to the death of the follicle. After the follicle has died the hair falls down leaving behind an unsightly scar.
  • Ichthyosis vulgaris, also known as common ichthyosis or fish scale disease, is a skin condition resulting in scaly skin, especially on the arms and legs, in overgrowth (hyperkeratosis) of the skin on the palms and soles (sometimes the skin creases may crack during dry weather) It also results in keratosis pilaris (follicular hyperkeratosis) on the side of the neck, back of the upper arms, buttocks and/or thighs.
  • Keratosis follicularis, characterized by scaly, warty, crusted papules distributed mostly on the seborrheic areas of the body. Nail involvement is characterized by V-shaped nicking at the distal aspect of the nail bed, longitudinal red and white alternating bands, and subungual hyperkeratosis (buildup of scales underneath the nailplate). Mucosal membrane involvement may occur as white papules on the buccal mucosae, palate, and gingiva with a cobblestone appearance.
  • Keratosis Palmaris or Familial keratosis palmaris et plantaris is characterized by extreme keratinization and desquamation of the skin of the palmar and plantar surfaces of the hands and feet or thickening of the palms and soles as a result of excessive keratin formation leading to hypertrophy of the stratum corneum.

(retrieved from http://www.bioskincare.com/wordpress/keratosis/ - http://www.bioskincare.com/wordpress/keratosis/)

There is no cure but for some people with consistent treatment the condition can be lessened to undetection.  For others the condition can be visibly reduced.  There are a number of home remedies and inexpensive remedies that might work for some or certain areas of the body such as the use of apple cider vinegar, and of course there are more expensive treatments.  The key to treating KP is moisturizing, and doing so with products that contain lactic acid or urea that helps to dissolve keratin, there are other keratin-dissolving products as well.  This is by no means instant but overtime you should notice improvement.  There are conflicting views when it comes to exfoliating by scrubbing.  Some sources states that it can help with KP but others have stated that it can exacerbate the problem, of course if you do exfoliate this way and notice no improvement or worsening of your condition discontinue to exfoliate by this method and use exfoliates from the alpha hydroxyl family like glycolic acid, you can also use salicylic acid (the kind derived from Willow bark I have heard is the better choice but I don’t know) or even plain old lemon juice.  I often try the least expensive methods for treating or doing anything before I move to more expensive products.  Remember if you don’t at least moisturize your skin everyday then any efforts put into ridding KP would have been for naught, I have learned this the hard way.  Research, research, research ladies, I have had the condition since I was a teen and moisturizing my skin has always been key.

If you are experiencing itching try using hydrocortisone OTC, this can not only help with the itching but also the inflammation often associated with KP.  Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links

brieSFCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brieSFCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2013 at 10:45pm
Thanks for the facts, I was nervous to buy my liKas papaya soap for a second..
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2013 at 9:38am
This lotion called Reversa skin smoothing body lotion is very helpful. It's 10% glycolic acid and it starts working very fast. My dermatologist recommanded it. It won't eliminate the kp but it will improve it tremendously. Don't know if it's accessible to everyone though, as it is a canadian brand

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Feb 17 2013 at 9:38am
Tangala0810 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangala0810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 9:09am
Bump I thought I was the only one that had this problem I never knew there was a name for it im 23 thatz why I love this site but my legs are soft and it has faded away maybe thats why I didt want to wear shorts
ClassicBeautee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClassicBeautee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 7:05pm
I agree with previous responses about Glytone. You will definitely see an improvement.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by iLoveMrCortez iLoveMrCortez wrote:

Dry body brush!! You will love it

I'm doing this right now and it worked amazingly well for the first week (along with coconut oil) but now my skin is inflamed again. I don't know if it's a consequence of the dry brushing or if it was meant to happen anyway.  I have an apt with my derm in 3 weeks Cry He's probably going to prescribe an antibiotic again but I don't know if I should keep on brushing. I just ordered an expensive brush and didn't even receive it yet...
Has anyone had their kp get inflamed before?

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jul 17 2013 at 8:22pm
sbrownie84 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbrownie84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 9:46pm
sorry you are going through this jolie.  I would stop brushing for a while and use moisturizing soap and a good moisturing lotion. Eucerin calming cream is great. 

As per advise on KP on a whole. The only cream that has helped me TREMENDOUSLY is Cerave SA renewing lotion. AWESOME
Nadiesca View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nadiesca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 10:43am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by iLoveMrCortez iLoveMrCortez wrote:

Dry body brush!! You will love it

I'm doing this right now and it worked amazingly well for the first week (along with coconut oil) but now my skin is inflamed again. I don't know if it's a consequence of the dry brushing or if it was meant to happen anyway.  I have an apt with my derm in 3 weeks Cry He's probably going to prescribe an antibiotic again but I don't know if I should keep on brushing. I just ordered an expensive brush and didn't even receive it yet...
Has anyone had their kp get inflamed before?
used some aloes cream ,it will help with  the inflamation
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 8:57pm
@sbrownie : Thanks for the advice! I will look for Cerave renewing lotion tomorrow at the drugstore. I've used Cerave before but I think it was a moisturizing cream.

@Nadiescu: I have aloe vera gel in my fridge. Do you think that would work?
Nadiesca View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nadiesca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 9:00pm
yes it will jolie....
For the kp,have you ever thought are making your own lactic acid lotions?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic