Forum Home Forum Home > Skin Care > Skin Care - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Keratosis Pilaris aka small black dots on legs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
shandra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2011 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Inayis Inayis wrote:

Originally posted by daydai daydai wrote:

Originally posted by shandra shandra wrote:

Im not a doctor by far but IMO keratosis P comes from the production of too much testosterone or androgen!Regular scrubbing in the shower with likas papya soap(it stirps the first layer of skin off)or fair and white aha soap  it has little nut peices in it to exfoliate its wonderful along with taking spironolactone
This will  give great results 
What is spironolactone? I do think I have too much testosterone! Do you know anything that balances estrogen/testosterone?...I think maca is supposed to but Im scared of maca lol

yes Im inclined to believe this is true as well.... but i think u need a prescription for this spironolactone right?

shandra cannot confirm or deny this LOL

Sponsored Links

shandra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2011 at 9:40am
Likas soap is also a MUST for anyone with KP  
hairADDICT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairADDICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 9:41pm
ok so i'm looking at my legs right now and the black polka dots kinda diminished but i 'm not sure what i did different . they look like brown spots instead of black or very dark brown as usual . i know i waxed with some coated wax strips , then used oil to remove the wax , exfoliated with my glove and a body shop coconut exfoliant and showered . i've also been taking either 10000 or 20000 u.i. of vitamin A per day , fish oil and evening primrose oil which are all good for the skin .
SuperNova View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperNova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2011 at 2:58pm
seems like I've read that using MSM helps.  I have powdered MSM and on occasion, I add it to my skin products if I feel like my skin is doing something weird.
GA SonShyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GA SonShyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2011 at 11:12am
I have KP on the back of my arms and on the back of my upper thighs. If I shave, it makes it worst so I either use Veet or I wax them. 
So I spoke to my Dermatologist about what to do and she gave me a list of things to try at home before I purchased expensive products from her office. 

She recommended that I do the following, and it's working for me. 

1. While in the shower I use Neutrogena Body Clear Body Scrub along with my exfoliating glove. 
2.  I moisturize my body using AmLactin (AmLactin® Moisturizing Body Lotion gently exfoliates dead skin cells to help return dry skin to its healthy, natural state. It helps skin lock in and retain moisture through intense hydration. http://www.amlactin.com/amlactin-body-lotion.html )Make sure that you do not put your clothing on right after you put this lotion on, you will feel a bit strange until the lotion has absorbed into your skin. I wish that I could explain it better, but after you apply the lotion, you will feel like it has been absorbed by your skin, but if you put clothing on, you will feel as if you had not dried off after your shower and just got dressed. (hope this makes sense) 2-3 minutes should do. So while waiting for my skin to absorb, I go ahead and tone and moisturize my face and by the time I am done with that, I am ready for my clothes. Tips for KP using AmLactin - http://www.amlactin.com/keratosis-pilaris.html

3. I use Dr. Lewinn by Kinerase Skin Perfecting Serum XK. ( http://drlewinnbykinerase.com/skin-tone-perfecting-serum-xk.php Pure, high-potency, hyaluronic-acid-based treatment that targets dark spots and unwanted pigmentation to even skin tone. 

I took some before photo's and need to take some after photo's soon, but I am seeing a difference in my KP. It's easier for me to see it on my arms than on my legs, on my arms, the KP bumps are no longer raised, they have smoothed out and I don't feel them anymore, they are slowly starting to fade as well. I had no idea for years what the bumps were on the back of my arms and legs and used to scratch them when they itched and would pick at them, ugghhh I did more harm than good. I am thankful for my dermatologist for not pushing her products on me but recommending cheaper alternatives for me to try first. 

I will list a few other alternatives to try, because I tried a few until this combination started working for me and I also researched my butt off to find stuff that would work. 

Garden of Wisdon sells a kit for $18.70 that works.

Derma Doctor has a bunch of stuff that works.

Philosophy has a lotion called CHICKEN SKIN
yourprettyhues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yourprettyhues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2011 at 11:35am
Originally posted by GA SonShyne GA SonShyne wrote:

I have KP on the back of my arms and on the back of my upper thighs. If I shave, it makes it worst so I either use Veet or I wax them. 
So I spoke to my Dermatologist about what to do and she gave me a list of things to try at home before I purchased expensive products from her office. 

She recommended that I do the following, and it's working for me. 

1. While in the shower I use Neutrogena Body Clear Body Scrub along with my exfoliating glove. 
2.  I moisturize my body using AmLactin (AmLactin® Moisturizing Body Lotion gently exfoliates dead skin cells to help return dry skin to its healthy, natural state. It helps skin lock in and retain moisture through intense hydration. http://www.amlactin.com/amlactin-body-lotion.html )Make sure that you do not put your clothing on right after you put this lotion on, you will feel a bit strange until the lotion has absorbed into your skin. I wish that I could explain it better, but after you apply the lotion, you will feel like it has been absorbed by your skin, but if you put clothing on, you will feel as if you had not dried off after your shower and just got dressed. (hope this makes sense) 2-3 minutes should do. So while waiting for my skin to absorb, I go ahead and tone and moisturize my face and by the time I am done with that, I am ready for my clothes. Tips for KP using AmLactin - http://www.amlactin.com/keratosis-pilaris.html

3. I use Dr. Lewinn by Kinerase Skin Perfecting Serum XK. ( http://drlewinnbykinerase.com/skin-tone-perfecting-serum-xk.php Pure, high-potency, hyaluronic-acid-based treatment that targets dark spots and unwanted pigmentation to even skin tone. 

I took some before photo's and need to take some after photo's soon, but I am seeing a difference in my KP. It's easier for me to see it on my arms than on my legs, on my arms, the KP bumps are no longer raised, they have smoothed out and I don't feel them anymore, they are slowly starting to fade as well. I had no idea for years what the bumps were on the back of my arms and legs and used to scratch them when they itched and would pick at them, ugghhh I did more harm than good. I am thankful for my dermatologist for not pushing her products on me but recommending cheaper alternatives for me to try first. 

I will list a few other alternatives to try, because I tried a few until this combination started working for me and I also researched my butt off to find stuff that would work. 

Garden of Wisdon sells a kit for $18.70 that works.

Derma Doctor has a bunch of stuff that works.

Philosophy has a lotion called CHICKEN SKIN

Girl, ^5!!!Clap

Thank you for this info. I have the same thing above my kneecaps. Never wore short shorts, bermuda shorts nor skirts above the knees because of it!
iwhipmyhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwhipmyhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2011 at 9:41am
I got those too and was told by my dermatologist that they were part of having eczema. I know that in the past, when I cared about this, using salicylic based products such as the lotions and body washes helped in diminishing it. I used the NeoStrata products that worked wonders. But I have learned to live with it.

Some people also swear by dsm/msm type lotions and products too, don't quote me on that one though. I just know the above  statement I made worked for me. But I don't care to keep up with this stuff now. But good luck to you.
iLoveMrCortez View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iLoveMrCortez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2011 at 12:54am
Dry body brush!! You will love it
mizzbunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzbunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by shandra shandra wrote:

Likas soap is also a MUST for anyone with KP  

I just bought two bars of Likas papaya soap, one for the acne/acne scars on my face and the other for the KP on my legs. I'm so excited that this might actually work! Smile
CindyDennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CindyDennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2012 at 1:55pm
I don't know what the person above is talking about with testosterone, keratosis pilaris (and those black bumps) are caused by an overproduction of the protein keratin, which clogs your hair follicles, causing the bumps. I feel for you, as I too have KP on my upper arms, back and sometimes my neck. I hope yours doesn't get irritated and itchy like mine, you can see some irritated kp on the legs here

http://keratosistreatments.com/keratosis-pilaris-on-the-legs/ - http://keratosistreatments.com/keratosis-pilaris-on-the-legs/

As for tanning, you might want to read up a bit online, some people think it makes their kp worse. Good luck and keep us updated!

Edited by CindyDennis - Dec 13 2012 at 1:57pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style