FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeeping Skin Moisturized

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
blulilies View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2004 at 12:42pm

Okay, ya'll are going to hate me for this, but I just responded to a post and said that I don't skimp when it comes to skincare and hair products IF IT WORKS.

Well, I read a lot of the girly magz and found out about this product and had to try it. I am a resaerch hound so I research anything and everything b4 I buy. Anyway, I kept hearing about this moisturizer called Creme de la Mer that is the rave in the cosmetic industry. I went online to this fab site called makeupalley.com where you can get reviews on just about every product known to man (or woman) to see what they had to say about the product.

I then went to the dept. store and plopped down $90 bucks for this creme, with all intentions to return it to Neimans if it didn't work. Let me just tell you, I swear by this creme!!! I get really dry during the winter (plus my derm. had me on this retin-A micro stuff a while back) that made me peel. This stuff stops any kind of dryness/redness/peeling, etc.! If any of you decide to try it, make sure you have the clerk tell you how it should be used- or send me a PM and I'll tell you. I'd also encourage you to get a sample first (they are very generous in size) just in case and use it at night.

I just turned my girlfriend on to it and she's ready to kill me because she loves it but it's soooooo expensive. I will say that it took me 6 months to finish the jar so you use it very sparingly. Other more reasonable moisturizer/cremes are:

-Neutrogena Moisturizer w/SPF 15

-Oil of Olay (Their Daily facials are great)

-Cetaphil (creme for winter, lotion for summer)

-Good old Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula

Sponsored Links

GN1G View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2004 at 6:55pm
blulilies what are the ingredents (other than gold) in Creme de la Mer ?
OuttaControl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2004 at 7:39pm

wow.. and i thought i spent a ridiculous amount on lotion.. I love a store called The Body Shop and they have a lot of nice stuff (they have hair care(which i wouldn't really touch), skin care in a range of lines such as Vitamin E(i like the lip balm), Vitamin C (i love the face serum..made my face sooooooooo smooth after washing), hemp, etc.. a lot of it smells a bit yucky (like the hemp) but it's natural products and they work.  My mom swears by this stuff called Body Butter..they were the first i saw to have it..now you can find forms of this product everywhere including bath & body works, savon/osco/riteaid/longs/walgreens (sarah mic7haels, nivea, etc. are a few brands)  The one from body shop will run you about 16-20 bucks (it'a around 6/7 oz jar) .. i have Coconut which is one of the few smells i enjoy..i put it on after showering..and it feels really good and keeps me moisturized really well.. i got my roomie hooked on it and she is cheap.   It's basically extra extra (extra) thick lotion and is most effective (or at least it goes on better) when you come out of the bath or shower)

From the drugstore i like Nivea body cream..this stuff is really thick.. al ittle goes a long way..but it contains mineral oil for anyone wondering..and i'mnot crazy about the smell..but it kept my body smooth and ash free.  Ithink i was able to do my entire body with the amount that was stuck in the top of the jar

blulilies View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2004 at 1:12pm

Okay Girls,

This is lengthy, but here's some info about Creme de La Mer (I like the original creme):

Creme de la Mer (InStyle Best Moisturizer Awards)

Coveted by those in the know since 1965.

Conceived by NASA aerospace physicist Max Huber more than 30 years ago, Crème de la Mer defies the laws of nature. The legendary formula will transform the look of your skin as nothing ever has, leaving it softer, firmer, virtually creaseless. Even the driest of complexions are healed.

What's the secret of this miraculous potion? It contains sea kelp, calcium, vitamins, and minerals, plus oils of citrus, eucalyptus, and sunflower. But the magic isn't in these ingredients; it's in the three to four month long biofermentation process that transforms the ingredients into the nutrient-rich broth of Crème de la Mer.

Today it is available in the original Crème in three sizes—1 ounce, 2 ounces, and 16.5 ounces, the ultimate luxury.* It is also available in two lotion formulations tailored for different skin types. (Both lotions contain the extraordinary benefits of the original Crème.)

The Oil Absorbing Lotion: As seen in Harper's Bazaar magazine (April 2003 issue). This oil-free formula leaves behind a soft matte finish that inhibits oily breakthrough. Perfect as a day-time option for oilier skin. 1.7 fluid ounce pump bottle.

The Moisturizing Lotion: Named "Best Facial Moisturizer for Normal Skin" in InStyle magazine's "135 best beauty buys" (March 2003 issue). For normal and normal-to-dry skins, this formulation is ideal for warm weather climates and on those occasions when the Crème may be too rich. 1.7 fluid ounce pump bottle.

The original Crème has won many awards, including "Best Facial Moisturizer for Dry Skin" (InStyle magazine's "135 best beauty buys", March 2003 issue) and one of 12 "Secret Beauty Treasures" (Allure magazine, July 2003 issue).
neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod00982
alliyah4eva2003 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2004 at 1:28pm
i like palmers cocoa butter and nivea for dry skin
Bellas_Mom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2004 at 9:44pm

Originally posted by SHall92749 SHall92749 wrote:

(I'm not really interested but since this forum was empty I'll just start a topic)

My skin gets dry in the fall and winter all the time and I don't have time nor do I feel like putting lotion all over my body. I live up in the north in New York state and it can get pretty cold there so is there something else I could do to keep my skin normal?

Make a mask with avacado and leave it on your face for 20 minutes, the natural oils in the avacado will help moisturize your face. Also use cocoa butter or shea butter (pure, not the commercial one they sell in the store.) Pure cocoa or shea butter can be found at your local African store.

Reesie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2004 at 12:36pm

Originally posted by amr03k amr03k wrote:

If you don't feel like putting on lotion then try adding some baby oil to your bath water. It absorbs into wet skin really well and you won't have to worry about lotion afterwards.

I use EVOO and it works like a charm!

Bellas_Mom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2004 at 1:38am

(I'm not really interested but since this forum was empty I'll just start a topic)

My skin gets dry in the fall and winter all the time and I don't have time nor do I feel like putting lotion all over my body. I live up in the north in New York state and it can get pretty cold there so is there something else I could do to keep my skin normal?

I would find a place that sells 100% pure shea butter and use that. It is all I use, and not only is my skin soft, it is also super clear. Let me know if you cant find any in your town, I can get some from my mother's store and send it to you.

bxdulce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2007 at 6:26pm
honey, avacado, olive oil mask....hydrates your face...
morning_glory View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2008 at 7:57am

I am the SAME!!! I am trying to force myself to use moisturiser these days because my skin has become so dry due to the cold weather. I actually noticed a bit of peeling in places!  I'm trying to work on my budget, so I am just using the lotions I have, which are my thinner ones for summer.

I use those and then just put a bit of petroleum jelly in some places. I might switch to a body butter, they seem to be better. I am also thinking of adding a little bit of glycerine+water to my lotion and see if that works :)

Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic