BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Products > Relaxers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping Perms In Refrigerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
im.fab.u.lous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im.fab.u.lous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2009 at 1:30am
yes you can do it.. as long as you dont mix em their fine.. i do it all the time especially if im just doing mild touch ups...makes no sense to waste the whole thing..

and what do you thing they do in the hair salon?
Sponsored Links

Sailor Chica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sailor Chica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2009 at 2:56am

As long as the mixes are seperate it shouldn't matter.

But how long is the shelf life of a relaxer? Does it expire?
kkscottdale View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kkscottdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 4:17pm
This is wierd.
mocherry View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mocherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 8:29am
^^IA....who refridgerates relaxer? and who still buys relaxer that you have to mix?
lollypop036 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lollypop036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 2:29pm
what happens if you put it in the freezer and you've mixed it?
LilMsBax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilMsBax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 7:04am
I buy my relaxers premixed and in the largest size they come in so they last for multiple applications.  I havent had any problems with my hair with them being in the refrigerator after months. 
Droopi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droopi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 10:19pm
I keep my left over relaxer in the refrigerator...cool dry place...and for the ones that have to be mixed, do not mix until you are ready to use, once mixed can be kept in cool dry place (refrigerator) for up to 3 days. if relaxers are put in the freezer...keep in mind these are chemicals, you are changing the compound tremendously this is making it weaker and may cause some of the chemicals to react negatively. aka harsh just as if the chemical gets too hot, it breaks them down to where they will no straighten proper---you can usually smell many of the chemicals as they have turned into gas
Lavinia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lavinia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 8:09am
Relaxers don't need to be refrigerated. They last years. I don't know if there is any actual science behind the practise of putting them in the fridge...on the bodybuilding sites, they call things like this that we do because we heard about it somewhere "bro science" lol.

Dr Ali Sayed is the business when it comes to ethnic hair-care science in particular. I go to his site a lot. He works for Keracare I think, but he talks sense about a lot of ingredients & products. He doesn't pimp Keracare in every post.

The link has a long list of the expiration dates & storage info of all the different types of hair products you can think of. He doesn't mention anything about keeping relaxers in the fridge. He says event the worst type of relaxer can survive 6 months. I think I'll post the whole list in Growth in a minute.

RELAXERS
Shelf Life: 1 to 1.5 years (Sodium Hydroxide) aka LYE
2 years (Guanidine Hydroxide) aka No lye/box/those that need to be mixed

Of the most widely used relaxers, those formulated with sodium hydroxide are the most challenging to formulate. An improperly formulated relaxer can have a shelf life of six months or less. Well developed formulas will work effective for up to a year and a half.

Guanidine hydroxide relaxers are a little easier to stabilize from a product development standpoint, and can be effectively used for up to two years. (If the creme portion of the relaxer system seems a bit dry on the upper surface, do not assume that the product is beyond '" shelf life. This is characteristic of relaxers in this category, which contain
calcium hydroxide.)

shemadcool24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shemadcool24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by mocherry mocherry wrote:

^^IA....who refridgerates relaxer? and who still buys relaxer that you have to mix?

actually, i don't know anyone who buys relaxers premixed. & if olive oil mad perms premixed i would buy it, but they don't, so i mix them myself.
Optimus_Prime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus_Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2010 at 2:10pm
I use a lye relaxer, I buy it in 4 lb tubs, and I use it for several touch ups (15-18 months) with no problem.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>