Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - KEEPING IT COOL - NO DIRECT HEAT CHALLENGE 2013
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

KEEPING IT COOL - NO DIRECT HEAT CHALLENGE 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>

Author
havilland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havilland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 6:47pm
hi ladies!  WELCOME !!!!!

glad to see you all here!

no heat!  YAY

i am having trouble getting my pictures to post....this forum is so annoying to me right now.

my regimen:

i am transitioning to natural.  17 months so far.

co wash almost daily with moisturizing conditioner and then wear a wet bun or ponytail.
moisturize nightly.

deep condition with heat at least once if not twice a week.

shampoo once a month or so.

Edited by havilland - Jan 06 2013 at 7:05pm
Sponsored Links

Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 9:45pm
hi, ladies! i would like in.

here is my reggie:

i shampoo (non sulfate) and dc weekly. i detangle every 2-4 weeks. i've been swimming a lot lately so that impacts how often i detangle and how much i shampoo.

steam weekly too. add leave-in, then put into a ps for the week (or month - harder now with swimming).

here is my starting pic:

jadorenaturality92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadorenaturality92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 6:36am
Hi Ladies,

I love my blow outs and it's a problem. I'm trying not to use direct heat but for lenght checks as I did this week. The goal is only to do it twice more this year, at the 6month mark and at the end. This means no blow outs all year <even as I say it I'm crying.

My regimen:

Mosturizing Spritz everyday
Coconut Oil & leave in before every style
Castor Oil to seal ends
Massage scalp 3x a week
Wash monthly

Starting point\/
Friday I got my sister to flat iron my hair.

^A screen shot from the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ZUxQijRsE - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ZUxQijRsE 
havilland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havilland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 12:15pm
hey ladies!

i am so excited for this challenge. 

my plan is to only use heat in May, October, and December. 

wishing us luck!!!!
caiomhe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caiomhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 6:56pm
I'm excited too! It really gets easier after you go without heat for awhile. It just becomes a natural thing! :)
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 10:53pm
Hi I'm sooo in! This would be my 4th challenge. I'm starting to lose count, but provided people keep posting, as you mentioned, this shouldn't get lost in the archives. i'm still trying to relocate one of the challenges i'm in but can't find it Embarrassed
anyhoo.
starting pic in primary style: 
starting length stretched: 
i'm at about CBL now and when i cut it i started out at NL about 2 months ago. 
My regimen is pretty much centered around wash day. I don't usually do anything to my hair except on wash day, roughly every 3-4-5 days, and then i usually just cowash (loose hair). but i shampoo every 3rd to 4th wash, using sulfate shampoos. Then i detangle my hair afterwards after sectioning, using fingers only no combs or brushes. and i'll either set hair in twists or finger coils. 
and that's how my hair stays until i wash again. When i do twists, i usually opt to use no product but if i do, then it's condish only used as a leave-in. And when i do finger coils i use conditioner. 
No other products. my goal is to be at at least APL by december, but by my estimations i should be at least BSB by then if all goes well. that's how long it took me last time Thumbs Up 
i should be at SL by another 3 or 4 months from where i am now. 
my hair is natural but the ends of most of my hair are bleached. my hair is currently mostly heat free, as i cut off all of my heat damage several times over and then some. Ouch
i don't plan on using any heat this year. Wink
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by caiomhe caiomhe wrote:

I'm excited too! It really gets easier after you go without heat for awhile. It just becomes a natural thing! :)
i'll second that. i had used heat for three years straight to the point that people thought i had a relaxer, so when i suddenly started wearing my hair in natural styles again people were like "whoa when did you big chop?!" 
"um...i'd been natural the whole time" lol but i was essentially heat trained. i thought it would be hard for me to go without heat but it surprisingly wasn't. i was going months at a time without even having the urge. this whole year the only reason i flat ironed in July of 2012 was because i wanted to make sure my hair was even before i cut it. Then i flat ironed again in November (which caused my setback, might i addCry) because i was trying to length check...it went horribly wrong, but i pretty much have no desire to wear my hair straight- or at least not via flat ironing or blow drying. 
now it's so much less hassle to just wear my hair naturally that i can't really imagine regularly using heat anymore. it's easier than one would think! 

SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 11:08pm
What about soft bonnet dryers? Are they okay?
Louel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Louel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 6:22am
Ok,

I'm in

These are my starting pictures... All from December 

My goal is to use heat no more than 3 times this year, and to get to tailbone length before the year is over

My regimen is very simple...
Naturally curly:
wash scalp with shampoo about once every other week
wash my hair with conditioner once or twice a week
leave some conditioner in my hair
add some olive oil while my hair is still wet
put my hair in 8 braids
leave it to dry overnight
rebraid every night or sleep with a high pony

Straight hair:
wash my scalp with shampoo
leave conditioner in for a few hours or overnight
rinse all product out
put chi silk infusion in my hair
blow dry hair 
straighten hair with the chase method
put oil in my hair every night @ bedtime
set hair in bun
no touch ups

Wont be doing any product reviews since I found the products that work for me, so I dont see the need to try anything else.
My goal is to keep from using the flat iron for the first 6 months of this year. It's going to be hard, but I should be able to do it. 

Edited by Louel - Jan 09 2013 at 6:33am
lovelybrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovelybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 6:48am
I am a lurker (but I will be on this challenge). Only because I can't seem to post photos otherwise I would be fully in.

I BC'd in August 2012 and have been in box braids. I spritz them daily with distilled water/aloe vera juice/glycerine mix and seal that with a light oil mix. I Co wash.

When I take down my braids, I deep condition and then wash with shampoo and condition again.  I plan to re-do the braids in Feb and for the last time in May. Although I have a wedding to go in May and may use a heat pass then. I will probably use a heat pass on my natural anniversary and again on my B'day, although I like braidouts too.

I may find it difficult to post new product reviews as I am a recovering product junkie and have found things that work OK for me.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic