Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping braids/twists fresh (with extensions)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeping braids/twists fresh (with extensions)
    Posted: May 25 2013 at 4:36am
It's only been a month and my twists look fuzzy as hell. My problem is I work out very regularly and sweat profusely while doing so, and I also have dandruff. It forces me to wash my hair at least once a week as well as scrub the scalp lengthily with running water in between at the very least twice a week. Otherwise, the gunk is intolerable. At first, I was diluting my shampoo but that wasn't working for me because my scalp would start itching the very next day (I use Head & Shoulders). I don't know what to do. I've tried tea tree and Sea Breeze for this and it's not helping much.

Second problem is tying my hair at night. Should I wrap my twists entirely (the whole length of it?, they're down my back). Right now, I only put a cap on the top to avoid frizz around the scalp (which hasn't worked, btw) and I use braid spray. Some of my braids are fuzzy as hell, especially in the back. It's starting to look awful right now and I should be taking them out but I can't afford to get it done once a month right now since I have no income coming in. I was planning to redo them at the 2 month mark. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

FearlessNik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FearlessNik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 9:27am
I have twists to MBL. I actually like them better when they look fuzzy. I don't tie the whole length. Just the part around my head. I usually put it in a high bun. I like to leave the ends loose but a few times I woke up with them around my neck (I'm a bad sleeper) and I got seriously scared I was gonna die so I stopped that. I've had mine exatly 2 months and I'm getting the edges redone on Tuesday due to them being loose/ slipping. IMO you need to change your routine to get rid of the dandruff. I used to have it when I permed but when I went natural it went away. I always do an ACV rince. I **personally** wouldn't recommend heat and shoulders for black people. **Sparringly** I would use a clarifying shampoo (maybe once a month or every 2 weeks). For normal shampooing I would use black soap mixed with jojoba (or any other) oil, or a moisturizing shampoo. I belive it's the moisturizing shampoo and acv rince that really helped me. Also, I spray my hair 2 x a day (water, a little oil, and a little leave in). and I seal with oils. I don't put anything creamy on my hair when in twists. HTH
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by FearlessNik FearlessNik wrote:

I have twists to MBL. I actually like them better when they look fuzzy. I don't tie the whole length. Just the part around my head. I usually put it in a high bun. I like to leave the ends loose but a few times I woke up with them around my neck (I'm a bad sleeper) and I got seriously scared I was gonna die so I stopped that. I've had mine exatly 2 months and I'm getting the edges redone on Tuesday due to them being loose/ slipping. IMO you need to change your routine to get rid of the dandruff. I used to have it when I permed but when I went natural it went away. I always do an ACV rince. I **personally** wouldn't recommend heat and shoulders for black people. **Sparringly** I would use a clarifying shampoo (maybe once a month or every 2 weeks). For normal shampooing I would use black soap mixed with jojoba (or any other) oil, or a moisturizing shampoo. I belive it's the moisturizing shampoo and acv rince that really helped me. Also, I spray my hair 2 x a day (water, a little oil, and a little leave in). and I seal with oils. I don't put anything creamy on my hair when in twists. HTH

LOL, I'm sorry, the bolded made me chuckle. I'm just visualising those twists of yours wrapping around your neck tryin' to show you who run this bish LOLLOLLOL

Anyway, I will try the ACV rinse, I've never done one before. So after shampooing, you rinse with pure ACV or ACV diluted in water? I'll also try the black soap and experiment with letting go of the Head & Shoulders. So far, it's the only thing that has calmed the itch at all.

However, moisturizing shampoo alone tends to make things worse for me (when I'm not in braids/twists, I tend to use the moisturizing shampoo on the length of my hair and use the H&S for the scalp only). Also have yet to find a clarifying shampoo that doesn't matt my hear and tear it apart. Which one do you use?
I spray my hair as well (right now with braid spray but I've done it with water and oils. I'm the opposite of you in the sense that I like my twists the way they look when they're freshly done. Thx for the advice

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - May 25 2013 at 12:17pm
kriticalkare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kriticalkare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 3:52pm
If you can't afford to get them done, check out some YT twisting tutorials and redo the fuzzy ones(with the same hair) or just remove them if the fuzziness really bothers you. 
bbthamd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bbthamd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 12:03am
Dandruff (and the possible resulting fuzziness from washing to keep it at bay) was my main concern when I had my twists installed. I had to devise a plan and this seemed to work for me. I put diluted ACV (3 parts water:1 part ACV) in a coloring bottle and applied it to my scalp, gently massaged and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Rinsed it out and used diluted shampoo with tea tree oil in a different coloring bottle.

I find dandruff shampoos to be extremely drying. Not sure if that's true for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FearlessNik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 2:12am

I use cheapie shampoos. Either Suave or V05 for clarifying. But most of the times try to use a moisutizing shampoo. I like the Moisture milk (Cry I can't even recall which one it is. But the scent is strawberries and cream and it's pink. 90% sure it's V05). Have you tried using black soap as a shampoo? When i do I break off a few chunks into a bottle of water (black soap lathers very easily so you don't need much), and I add a little oil and honey.

Mell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 2:33pm
I'm still in the process of transitioning and trying to understand the reasons for people using really cheap shampoos like v05 and stuffso like that. Is it still ok to use, I remember using it when I was young and the stuff made my hair feel really rough, but that was also on relaxed hair as well. So can someone help me understand why it's ok to use it and what makes it so popular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FearlessNik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 4:56am
I'm not sure 'why it's ok'. But I did notice a difference in my ways from when I was young&relaxed from now. I used to wash multiple times and that was my main focus. Now I only shampoo once concentrating on the scalp only. And I focus more on conditioning. I'll leave the conditioner in for at least 15 minutes. And I use ones that are 'moisturizing'. IMO you don't really need to shampoo unless you need to strip your hair to get dirt and gunk out (which can get there from using heavy products). Sometimes I'll cowash by using conditioner only. Expensive doesn't always mean better. When I first started I 'upgraded' to using only Redkin. But why should I spend more money to get the same results?
bbthamd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbthamd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2013 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Mell Mell wrote:

I'm still in the process of transitioning and trying to understand the reasons for people using really cheap shampoos like v05 and stuffso like that. Is it still ok to use, I remember using it when I was young and the stuff made my hair feel really rough, but that was also on relaxed hair as well. So can someone help me understand why it's ok to use it and what makes it so popular

The only tried and true rule when it comes to hair is "whatever works for you". I've been in the natural game for a minute and I feel like I've done most of what was suggested at one point or another. I tried the cheap (~$1) conditioners and they don't work for me. My hair likes Aubrey Organics and, as I discovered during my twist removal, it might be a fan or Tresseme Naturals conditioner. It's all about what your hair responds to.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 5:59am
Originally posted by FearlessNik FearlessNik wrote:

IMO you need to change your routine to get rid of the dandruff. I used to have it when I permed but when I went natural it went away. I always do an ACV rince. I **personally** wouldn't recommend heat and shoulders for black people. **Sparringly** I would use a clarifying shampoo (maybe once a month or every 2 weeks). For normal shampooing I would use black soap mixed with jojoba (or any other) oil, or a moisturizing shampoo. I belive it's the moisturizing shampoo and acv rince that really helped me. Also, I spray my hair 2 x a day (water, a little oil, and a little leave in). and I seal with oils. I don't put anything creamy on my hair when in twists. HTH

I have a question regarding the use of black soap for dandruff.

a) I noticed that Dudu Osun sells liquid black soap but that they instruct to use it on skin, not on hair. (same for the soap bar)
This is what it looks like. Would this work on my scalp if I were to add honey and oils?
 OR
 I notice that Shea Moisture also sells an Organic Black Soap Deep Cleaning Shampoo, which looks like this
Organic African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo
. Not sure whether the Shea Moisture shampoo is a clarifying shampoo (seeing that it's described as a deep cleaning shampoo), meaning it might be too harsh on a regular basis?

I really need to get this dandruff problem under control but I don't know which one to buy

I also plan on doing the ACV on my scalp as an additional measure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because my scalp is dandruffy and itching like crazy right now after only 1 week since I reinstalled my twists

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jun 28 2013 at 6:04am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>