Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keep up the momentum: what have you done?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 21>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 10:45pm
If anyone in New York (Brooklyn or the Bronx) would like to volunteer, I strongly suggest The Osbourne Association. Its a non-profit dedicated to working with children, families and individuals affected by incarceration and post incarceration. When I was there, I worked with the kids helping them cope with their jailed parents. We taught them how to write letters, took them on field trips, mentoring and host several events.

http://www.osborneny.org/about.cfm?pageID=1
Sponsored Links

Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 2:06am
I dont know if this was shared already but I found out via my Free Ebony mag...

It was a short article so Ill just type it out here ...

Where to Stash Cash....Heres a few places to get a higher yield on your savings.
By: Sakina P Spruell

When looking for the best savings vehicle for your extra cash, there are three key questions to ask yourself: How much do I need to open an account? How long can this money sit in an account?  Will the fees wipe away my interest earned?

Given that the national interest-rate average on savings accounts is lingering at .12%, we researched accounts that would yield  at least .75% or better and charged no fees.

These were the two black owned institutions mentioned.

BANK                           Type of Account                             APY          Min to Open
OneUnited Bank                          2 Yr CD                            1.00%         $1000
Carver Federal Savings Bank         5 Yr CD                            1.00%         $1000

sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 2:20am
Originally posted by Addicted19034 Addicted19034 wrote:

A white woman asked me for money to pay for her meter and I said no

PRICELESS
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 2:34am
I didn't do anything today, but once classes are back, I plan in joining the black student group, which is one of the biggest in my college, yet doesn't do much for its people. The youth there are desmotivated, broke, on student loans, and they don't have time to help anyone else. The professor, who is the advisor or something like that for the group, wanted to be able to give some kind of scholarships to the students, but first the group needs to handle fundraisers, etc, and I want to help out on that by giving my time.
Also I try to smile more at blacks.

The big sister, big brother idea is awesome, but right now I am unemployed and my mind wouldn't be in the right place with those kids.

When I get a job, I will either sign up on that or I will tutor a child (preferably foster child, since they receive little attention).
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 2:35am
Originally posted by oh_so_moody oh_so_moody wrote:

I cut a yt man off on 85N then stuck my fist out the window.

Oh and had a meeting at work basically saying if we speak on GZ or Trayvon that we will lose our jobs because we are fostering a hostile work environment

did you ask them if they had ever heard of freedom of speech?

noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 10:49am
taking my nephews to the movies, lunch and to petsmart (they love petsmart lol) in a few minutes. 

i plan on picking their brains to see what's going on in their heads after the verdict. i'm sure they've discussed it with their friends but i doubt their parents have talked to them about it on their level. 

any ideas on what i should say to them, guys? i'm a little nervous don't know why) they're 11 and 13 btw.

Edited by noneyons - Jul 18 2013 at 10:51am
kerysdream7 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kerysdream7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 10:52am
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Originally posted by Addicted19034 Addicted19034 wrote:

A white woman asked me for money to pay for her meter and I said no

PRICELESS

PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 3:59pm
I did grocery shopping this morning and dropped off bags to some seniors who aren't able to get out or don't need to be out in this heat. It felt like it was 100 degrees out there at 8am!

eta: also picked up  some scripts.

Edited by PurpleHaze - Jul 18 2013 at 4:09pm
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 4:03pm
i've been buying groceries for ppl when i can.
been doin that for a while now.

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 4:36pm
Getting in touch with a contact at the county affordable housing development center so I can volunteer.

I read Cradle of Freedom in the waiting room of a car place today in a room full of yt folk. I made sure the cover was quite visible.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style