Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Keep up the momentum: what have you done?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 21>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 8:49pm
bump.

i didn't do anything significant today except send an email to the DOJ. tomorrow i will try to do more. 
Sponsored Links

oh_so_moody View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote oh_so_moody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 8:54pm
I cut a yt man off on 85N then stuck my fist out the window.

Oh and had a meeting at work basically saying if we speak on GZ or Trayvon that we will lose our jobs because we are fostering a hostile work environment
Longhairwanted8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Longhairwanted8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 10:14pm
I will create tomorrow.
Spokenword View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Spokenword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 10:25pm
i know ive mentioned it before on here, but i work for nonprofit so i am always involved in someting giving back to the people and going above and beyond.

i suggest to all those who want to volunteer to consider those smaller nonprofits that don't get a billion dollars to operate.  those are the ones...those grassroots, neighborhood nonprofits. please consider those as well.....

today at one of the shelters there was a 19 y/o boy who entered the men's shelter, his first day. he just cried at the thought of having to go to the shelter and i was able to at least say everything would be OK while the other younger male youth gathered around him to encourage him and tell him it would be OK.  

please, everyone should try to do something, somewhere.  i am an advocate for the local, community nonprofits before those monster ones.

Spokenword View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Spokenword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 10:27pm
also, i have been so busy but people have been reaching out to myself, organic and seductress, the ones who did the trayvon rally in DC last year on what our next steps would be, given the verdict.

hopefully, when we all get some time, we can reconvene and re-focus on what the next steps could be. we have some ideas, but want to be strategic..

Edited by Spokenword - Jul 17 2013 at 10:28pm
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 10:35pm
my goodness, spoken. i can't imagine having to console a young man who's been placed in such an unfortunate situation. at 19 years old, the age when pride, machismo, and learning how to be independent means everything to a young boy,i know it had to be totally dehumanizing for him to ask for help. 

i'm so proud of people like you for what you do. i admire everything you stand for.

Edited by noneyons - Jul 17 2013 at 10:35pm
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 10:39pm
I haven't started my trial, but damn, it makes me realize how much we don't have. I don't think there are any black owned gas stations here.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Addicted19034 Addicted19034 wrote:

I'm gonna sign up with big brother big sister

Has anyone had any experience with them

I'm gonna quit if I don't get a brown sister

i want to do this too. 
i think id really enjoy it.. and it would probably make some kid happier. 
can i pick them out?  
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 10:45pm
If anyone in New York (Brooklyn or the Bronx) would like to volunteer, I strongly suggest The Osbourne Association. Its a non-profit dedicated to working with children, families and individuals affected by incarceration and post incarceration. When I was there, I worked with the kids helping them cope with their jailed parents. We taught them how to write letters, took them on field trips, mentoring and host several events.

http://www.osborneny.org/about.cfm?pageID=1
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2013 at 2:06am
I dont know if this was shared already but I found out via my Free Ebony mag...

It was a short article so Ill just type it out here ...

Where to Stash Cash....Heres a few places to get a higher yield on your savings.
By: Sakina P Spruell

When looking for the best savings vehicle for your extra cash, there are three key questions to ask yourself: How much do I need to open an account? How long can this money sit in an account?  Will the fees wipe away my interest earned?

Given that the national interest-rate average on savings accounts is lingering at .12%, we researched accounts that would yield  at least .75% or better and charged no fees.

These were the two black owned institutions mentioned.

BANK                           Type of Account                             APY          Min to Open
OneUnited Bank                          2 Yr CD                            1.00%         $1000
Carver Federal Savings Bank         5 Yr CD                            1.00%         $1000

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 21>
  Share Topic