Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Karrine Steffans says she's not African American
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Karrine Steffans says she's not African American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 26>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:03pm
^Oooh, thanks Diane! Thumbs Up
Sponsored Links

Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:07pm
Now SL does it stick in the greater scheme of things? does the avg Jamaican recognize the scars and present day manifestations of colonialism, I would answer no. Here is where it changes for us and AA we are majority though the wealth is in the hands of the few brown (high yellow) and whites. But often classism and colourism reign but racism is still alive and present just cloaked in those two.

Also there a lot of indifference to slavery and colonialism ( it's the past, slaves dead and gone) we are free and independent and honestly yardies love them some England and the Queen.Ouch but the truly love the USA more. Anything local not good anything foreign is good. [See Sean Paul, Bob Marley and to a much lesser extent Tessanne Chin] Eff every overpaid clueless Scotland YArd policeman, "consultants" contractors esp those Clueless bawdy rude drunk and dunce (yes dunce) Irish ppl from Dutty Digicel Ltd. who come here and collect $$$$$ on the work of the black localsAngryAngry

Also while the curriculum is there not all schools are on the same or near the same standard. I went to a school (albeit a Colonial Girls in every sense of the word, I cried) with a $hitload of PCs and free internet, a pool numerous activities and an orchestra around the corner there was a school where that was not the case at all. Thanks Ms J Hunter for letting us know what we had wasn't the normHeart

Edited by Diane (35) - Jan 04 2014 at 9:19pm
hautsdeseine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hautsdeseine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

probably would be more weird if someone called you an African American in Haiti .... lol

Honestly, for the man on the corner, AAs might as well be white. Hell, even Haitians raised abroad are considered blanc when they go home. We're considered foreigners

To be precise, they will know a black person when they see one but because of the westernized mannerisms, they'll call you blanc. It's not meant to be literal.

I thought you were just called jaspora---which i figured out awhile ago was a version of the english word disapora

I've also gotten jaspora. But people who are less educated perhaps have straight up called me blanc. They don't mean this in a racial way but they attribute this to the fact that some mannerisms are clearly not caribbean. You know, how you'll walk faster, dress a little different and all that. I've tried to blend in but Haitians ALWAYS know when you're from the diaspora without even speaking to you. And they tend to think of you as an étranger.

You are so right!!! In Ivory Coast, Cameroon, i guess every country in Africa is the same.
They can tell you dont live there by your skin( although you are dark) then, even when you are in the car: they say, Diaspora always wear seatbelt. And you are right about the fact that diaspora is Always speed, acts fast, talks fast
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

^Oooh, thanks Diane! Thumbs Up

One of these days Imma sit down and do a proper breakdown of the Slave rebellions in Jamaica I have the textbooks. Im still salty Haitian Diva shaded the rest of the Caribbean supm wicked. Like while we were fighting what were y'all doing? Loving up those slave masters waiting to be granted your freedom while we took it by forceOuchOuch 

Im hearing talk of a Jamaican who helped the Haitian Revolution

There is a school of thought here that we are not truly an Independent country because we shucked and jived and pleaded with England to grant us Independence. And the already privileged few brown men had to hurry and come up with the proper documents, institutions and the Constitutions to do so which would govern the rest of us dark ones for years to come. So what they do copy and paste the old ish and borrow heavily from the Mother country (England) ish to appease them. Trust me that Constitution giving us some problems now LOLOL.

ETA Oh the smaller island had rebellions too, this is why I wonder why the rest of the Caribbean and West Indians still living on the island BHMers have gone. Its only the JamaicansCryCry

Edited by Diane (35) - Jan 04 2014 at 9:21pm
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Yup! I can't remember his name, I have to look it up. But yes, he was a Jamaican slave that somehow got sent to Haiti (I think he was sold to someone else). He was indeed a prominent figure in the revolution. This is something I found out fairly recently

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jan 04 2014 at 9:27pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:31pm

Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Yup! I can't remember his name, I have to look it up. But yes, he was a Jamaican slave that somehow got sent to Haiti (I think he was sold to someone else). He was indeed a prominent figure in the revolution. This is something I found out fairly recently

Mommy has been saying it for about 3 months or so meant to bring it up/ask in the many rivers to cross documentary. Shes the history social studies one, Im a scientist so yall forgive my bad explanation. I never truly did Caribbean history at high school level. and my memory fails me.

She says duty dutty dutay, dute with an acute accent over the "e" maybe.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:32pm
I looked up Karrine.
She was born in the US Virgin Islands.
Hmmm...
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:39pm
@Diane: I found it. His name was Dutty Boukman. He was born in Jamaica but got transferred to a plantation in Haiti. He was a houngan (voodoo priest) and he became the leader of the maroons. He's the one who led the famous ceremony at Bois-Caiman where slaves swore to fight or die
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:42pm
We have a Savings Law Clause in our Constitutions, so many old slave laws were saved like vagrancy and outlawing the practice of obeah. And they are a B!TCH to change. hell the cops will dust them off at times like they did last year with the windshield wipers at the lights SMDH, it was a necessary evil though

JP find him please.

I knew she was Caribbean from long time and she's right (karinne) but since we are all Americans thanks to Amerigo Vespucci It depends on the viewpoint you are taking.

Under Chapter two of the Jamaican Constitution, persons born in Jamaica and persons born outside Jamaica of Jamaican parents have an automatic right to Jamaican citizenship. So that's another thing to consider.

ETA You can have dual citizenship in Jamaica which further complicates things

JP how you never hear the phrase Jamerican? LOL in the 1990s when dancehall was hot in the USA up came a group of first generation Jamaicans born in the US to Jamaican immigrant parents, called Born Jamericans. * I send you my love with a dozen roses*

NB Any bad behaving Jamaican who lives in the USA for more than 3 months (legal or otherwise) is oonu (your) people no fcuks, not claiming those clowns at all

Edited by Diane (35) - Jan 04 2014 at 9:48pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

...here, you're taught everything i can think of....
...how blacks were brought here; when the whites came, what they did, life on the plantations; the rebellions and freedom fighters; Britain's role, how slavery was abolished, etc...

youre taught the history of slavery in the country as well as in the region

...if thats what you meant?

Yes I agree with this right here^^^^^^^

Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

Lol some black Americans don't even want to be called African American.

In my country I am African. kente cloth, basket carrying on heads and all. I grew up with Kofi, Olatunde, n 'em.
And in my country we ran those baldheads outta we yard. We told the 'queen' GWAAAAN FROM HERE DUTTY FOOT
GYAL!!! AFRICA UNITE!!

WOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIII mi dead Derri done kilt meeeeeeeeCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry

Thanks JPStar
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 26>