Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Karrine Steffans says shes not African American
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Karrine Steffans says shes not African American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 25>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Originally posted by juicifruit89 juicifruit89 wrote:

How did those 'islanders' get there? Natives?
they rode on the backs of dolphins. Too exclusive for slave ships -______-
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Yardgirl Yardgirl wrote:

Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

That's what I always understood the AA designation to be, meaning blacks of American nationality who have been there for generations. Wasn't that intended as the original meaning?

That's always been my understanding. So even a black person from another country, who got citizenship...I wouldn't expect to identify themself as AA

Generations of Caribbean folk still dont identify as AA despite having citizenship and living and working in the US for decades

Yeah. It's a simple matter really. Race, nationality, and heritage/culture can be completely distinct things. What do I say about a white classmate from high school who has French-Canadian ancestry, grew up here in Jamaica but now lives in California and has US citizenship

I'm too old and too thoroughly Jamaican to go anywhere and claim anything else. I can be a citizen of another country, surely, but I'll only ever be Jamaican. 

theyre white.  white folks dont have confusion about who they are.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I asked this in another thread but what do blacks in other countries teach their kids about slavery that occurred in their country?

[/QUOTE]

it's taught in Haiti as our slave rebellion is a source of great national pride
the white man has pretty much made sure we paid the price for being uppity negroes ever sinceCry
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:21pm
Tatee not entirely because YT Jamaicans often identify as just Jamaican first. Some cant really trace the country their ancestors came from. They may also be Syrians (which may also be Lebanese) or Jamaican white which is different from white white or Red naygas (some blue eyed YTs from Manchester or st Elizabeth (parishes) that speak some serious raw-chaw patois who kinda procreated with themselves.
I understand the reference that YG made cause (we rep the same high school, and many of the YTs had some kind of crisis of identity esp when the blacks were like you white. Especially the bi-racial more white looking ones LOLz

This thread reminded me of when someone said they had to look up the racial breakdown of Jamaica cause the phenomena of tessanne chin a Chinese Jamaican was an eye opener

ETA I was looking for SL's question that she said was ignored thanks Epitome (was reading backwards and forwards)
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by slykitten slykitten wrote:

Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

I'm always hearing africans (born in africa but came here) saying… 'you're not african american… I'm african american.." 

i don't get why this is so confusing and why there are so many different opinions on it… 

It isn't confusing.  I really don't understand why people get angry about all of this.  Wherever you are born that is your nationality.  I really think people in America make things too difficult.  If I were to go to Germany, would I see African Germans, Italian Germans, Hispanic Germans?  No, they would be German.  I do think people get race, nationality, and ethnicity confused and want to put people in groups where they are not.

She is silly if she thinks she is from the Caribbean and has no slavery background.  But if she was born there, she isn't an African American.  That seems pretty obvious to me.

idk...i met some Eritreans in DC who were German born.  I said "Oh so you're German!" and they said "No, we're Eritrean.  We do not consider ourselves German and they do not consider us German either."
MdDyme07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote MdDyme07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:25pm
Being black doesn't automatically make you an African American guys.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:29pm
sh*t white folks don't consider our black asses American half the time. 
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

sh*t white folks don't consider our black asses American half the time. 

im sayin! But i'll be darned if my black ass dont claim a land built off the backs of my people. Crakkkas best get tf over it Ermm
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:34pm
my parents always wanted me to identify as Haitian-American not AA. not because they didn't think we weren't black--that would be preposterous--but bc they felt by accepting the label of AA I would be more likely to eschew my own history, and language, and people.  my history may be very similar but there are differences.  they told me I was BLACK or Haitian American, esp. since my black butt was actually born in Haiti.  

Edited by EPITOME - Jan 04 2014 at 8:47pm
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:37pm
preservation of culture, i understand that.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 25>
  Share Topic