Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Karrine Steffans says she's not African American
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Karrine Steffans says she's not African American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 26>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by slykitten slykitten wrote:

Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

I'm always hearing africans (born in africa but came here) saying… 'you're not african american… I'm african american.." 

i don't get why this is so confusing and why there are so many different opinions on it… 

It isn't confusing.  I really don't understand why people get angry about all of this.  Wherever you are born that is your nationality.  I really think people in America make things too difficult.  If I were to go to Germany, would I see African Germans, Italian Germans, Hispanic Germans?  No, they would be German.  I do think people get race, nationality, and ethnicity confused and want to put people in groups where they are not.

She is silly if she thinks she is from the Caribbean and has no slavery background.  But if she was born there, she isn't an African American.  That seems pretty obvious to me.

idk...i met some Eritreans in DC who were German born.  I said "Oh so you're German!" and they said "No, we're Eritrean.  We do not consider ourselves German and they do not consider us German either."
Sponsored Links

MdDyme07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote MdDyme07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:25pm
Being black doesn't automatically make you an African American guys.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:29pm
sh*t white folks don't consider our black asses American half the time. 
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

sh*t white folks don't consider our black asses American half the time. 

im sayin! But i'll be darned if my black ass dont claim a land built off the backs of my people. Crakkkas best get tf over it Ermm
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:34pm
my parents always wanted me to identify as Haitian-American not AA. not because they didn't think we weren't black--that would be preposterous--but bc they felt by accepting the label of AA I would be more likely to eschew my own history, and language, and people.  my history may be very similar but there are differences.  they told me I was BLACK or Haitian American, esp. since my black butt was actually born in Haiti.  

Edited by EPITOME - Jan 04 2014 at 8:47pm
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:37pm
preservation of culture, i understand that.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

probably would be more weird if someone called you an African American in Haiti .... lol

Honestly, for the man on the corner, AAs might as well be white. Hell, even Haitians raised abroad are considered blanc when they go home. We're considered foreigners

To be precise, they will know a black person when they see one but because of the westernized mannerisms, they'll call you blanc. It's not meant to be literal.

I thought you were just called jaspora---which i figured out awhile ago was a version of the english word disapora
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I asked this in another thread but what do blacks in other countries teach their kids about slavery that occurred in their country?
Jamaican Scenario Based on the English Model

Grade 1-6 Primary School take a standardized test and get placed in a high school based on the scores obtained. High school 7-11; General studies covering all subjects 7-9, in Grade 10 choose 5-9 subjects to sit a region wide test (CXC) In grade 11 then get High School Diploma. Sixth Form grades 12-13 get Assocs Degreee/ A levels then head to uni.

SL we are taught a good deal and from grade 3-4 as a part of the social studies curriculum and civics students are told of the many slave rebellions. Oh and the songs get drilled to your head too.

sings *Grandy Nanny of Nanny town symbol of Unity and strength*

We HAVE to trace that Middle passage and write about it. We have plantations still standing, back in my day most town primary and prep school made trips to the White Witch of Rose Halls Estate  (in country) or some other estate. Hell the University (main) was a sugar estate, the aqueducts still stand

We have a National Heroes day in October. Movies documentaries etc etc Our Heroes are on the money.

Garveyism is making a come back

People often speak of reparations. Jamaica is heading the Reparations committee

We get the dates drilled in our heads Emancipation Day Independence Day. We have Grand Market (Jamaican towns DO not sleep on Christmas Eve but party and vendors sell in the streets into wee hours of Christmas morning) this has been happening from slavery days.

The folklore and legends are alive and well 3 fingered jack (a powerful murderous slave), Tacky sister of Nanny lead a rebellion.

Rastafari plays a part as well for they are forever burning down the Babylon system (western ways of the world, the white man, the isms and all

Every child by Grade 6 has done at least 4 projects on our National Heroes four of which played pivotal roles in Slave rebellions, and resistance and fighting the nasty red coats

The Young Warriors is a coming of age novel about the maroons who warded of the Red coats all high school children are required to read.

The literature syllabus has an almost equal mix of West Indian Literature (clearly we related to that more) and English Literature

Here's my problem with high school we learn the world history in Grades 7-9 But students have the option to do CXC History and this is where you get the nitty gritty the pics, the why, the slave codes etc etc etc and when it gets to A Level history you dig deeper. But I still think the books smooth over and make it seem like of the Brits were just naughty fellows but they made up for it by giving us freedom (maybe cause many of the publishers are in England)Ouch

Is our system and curriculum free from the bonds of colonialism nope.

If mom was here she would better explain this. Sorry for rambling.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

probably would be more weird if someone called you an African American in Haiti .... lol

Honestly, for the man on the corner, AAs might as well be white. Hell, even Haitians raised abroad are considered blanc when they go home. We're considered foreigners

To be precise, they will know a black person when they see one but because of the westernized mannerisms, they'll call you blanc. It's not meant to be literal.

I thought you were just called jaspora---which i figured out awhile ago was a version of the english word disapora

I've also gotten jaspora. But people who are less educated perhaps have straight up called me blanc. They don't mean this in a racial way but they attribute this to the fact that some mannerisms are clearly not caribbean. You know, how you'll walk faster, dress a little different and all that. I've tried to blend in but Haitians ALWAYS know when you're from the diaspora without even speaking to you. And they tend to think of you as an étranger.
hautsdeseine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hautsdeseine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 9:03pm
She has the right to consider herself as non AA.
In Europe, africans even borned there do not consider themselves as Europeans but there is a reason for that: europeans do not consider as europeans they always point out our origins.
In the US its different tho!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 26>