Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Karrine Steffans says shes not African American
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair
 

Karrine Steffans says shes not African American

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 25>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream



Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 09 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 386787
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

The funniest thing happened in grad school. We had a guest speaker who was talking about demographics and made a statement about there being two African Americans in the classroom (myself and another guy) He raised his hand to correct the speaker and told him he is not African American, he is from Belize. Okay I get it but really you had to raise your hand? Ninja you been here since you were five. Then he kept asking why I wouldn't speak when I saw him. Raising your hand to correct somebody was going too far in the middle of class. The speaker gave him a blank stare and moved on just like the rest of the white people. Once you are here you are an African American. Go figure when I went to Belize they talked that "people from the states think they have a monopoly on being Americans" Make up your mind. 

lol.. 

He ain't want sh*t! to do with anything "African American".. that brother was offended
like "the nerve of this white man to use a politically correct over arching racial term on ME!!!"...
... White guy was probably like "uhhh ok whatever N****R"

lol



LOL

i remember years back there was some riot or something going on with blacks in the U.K. and the reporter called them African Americans.  i holleredLOL

Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 20 2011
Location: SupaFlyKingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 157796
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:


I disagree. South America is still America. His hair was nappier than mine and skin darker so why can't he be African American?  He is of African descent and living in America. And not to mention he was an Alpha. I have no problem with you pointing out you are from Belize but you had to raise your hand because it was that serious? I guess. I live in Kentucky but was not born here but I consider myself a Kentuckian because that is where I live at right now. If you have a convo with me and I need to be specific I will but other than that it really isn't worth correction.


He's Black. That doesnt make him AA. That would mean all blacks in the US are AA. Thats not the case.

And for some people, it is that serious. I would not want to be identified as AA if Im not.



Most people identify with their country of origin first, though. Maybe he calls himself Belizean American? Which I can totally understand, as long as he doesn't deny being black, as that would be his race.
Back to Top
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Sep 02 2010
Location: Hell
Status: Offline
Points: 234082
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:00pm
Did she really just say being Carribean means no history of slavery though..? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Back to Top
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 20 2011
Location: SupaFlyKingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 157796
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

The funniest thing happened in grad school. We had a guest speaker who was talking about demographics and made a statement about there being two African Americans in the classroom (myself and another guy) He raised his hand to correct the speaker and told him he is not African American, he is from Belize. Okay I get it but really you had to raise your hand? Ninja you been here since you were five. Then he kept asking why I wouldn't speak when I saw him. Raising your hand to correct somebody was going too far in the middle of class. The speaker gave him a blank stare and moved on just like the rest of the white people. Once you are here you are an African American. Go figure when I went to Belize they talked that "people from the states think they have a monopoly on being Americans" Make up your mind. 


lol.. 

He ain't want sh*t! to do with anything "African American".. that brother was offended
like "the nerve of this white man to use a politically correct over arching racial term on ME!!!"...
... White guy was probably like "uhhh ok whatever N****R"
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">lol</span>




LOL

i remember years back there was some riot or something going on with blacks in the U.K. and the reporter called them African Americans.  i holleredLOL



You know, I actually heard some reporter from the BBC describing blacks in Britain as African American. I was like wtf?
I've also an American reporter call Naomi Campbell African American, which was really bizarre as well
Back to Top
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 12 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 101681
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:


I disagree. South America is still America. His hair was nappier than mine and skin darker so why can't he be African American?  He is of African descent and living in America. And not to mention he was an Alpha. I have no problem with you pointing out you are from Belize but you had to raise your hand because it was that serious? I guess. I live in Kentucky but was not born here but I consider myself a Kentuckian because that is where I live at right now. If you have a convo with me and I need to be specific I will but other than that it really isn't worth correction.


He's Black. That doesnt make him AA. That would mean all blacks in the US are AA. Thats not the case.

And for some people, it is that serious. I would not want to be identified as AA if Im not.



Exactly. Technically even Jamaicans and other West Indians would be African American, but we all know the use of the term is used for Blacks residing in the US who are either descendants of slaves or second/third generation children of Black immigrants. And even in the case of second/third gen children, being referred to as an AA still might not be accurate.

The guy in your class never denied being black. He's acknowledging his lineage that is not bred from North America...
Back to Top
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 09 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 386787
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:04pm
i think MzCailiky's  reaction had a lot to do with her experience in Belize but everyone seems to be ignoring that part of her argument

Quote Go figure when I went to Belize they talked that "people from the states think they have a monopoly on being Americans" Make up your mind. 

Back to Top
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 27 2006
Location: Kingston, JA.
Status: Offline
Points: 90252
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:


I disagree. South America is still America. His hair was nappier than mine and skin darker so why can't he be African American?  He is of African descent and living in America. And not to mention he was an Alpha. I have no problem with you pointing out you are from Belize but you had to raise your hand because it was that serious? I guess. I live in Kentucky but was not born here but I consider myself a Kentuckian because that is where I live at right now. If you have a convo with me and I need to be specific I will but other than that it really isn't worth correction.


He's Black. That doesnt make him AA. That would mean all blacks in the US are AA. Thats not the case.

And for some people, it is that serious. I would not want to be identified as AA if Im not.



Most people identify with their country of origin first, though. Maybe he calls himself Belizean American? Which I can totally understand, as long as he doesn't deny being black, as that would be his race.


Perhaps....i know of Jamaicans who identify as JamericansLOL...no, seriously. So, i can understand.

Back to Top
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 27 2006
Location: Kingston, JA.
Status: Offline
Points: 90252
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

i think MzCailiky's  reaction had a lot to do with her experience in Belize but everyone seems to be ignoring that part of her argument

Quote Go figure when I went to Belize they talked that "people from the states think they have a monopoly on being Americans" Make up your mind. 



oh.
Back to Top
Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 25 2009
Location: New York
Status: Offline
Points: 23819
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:06pm
IA Jolie... depending on where you live dictates the acknowledgement. They didn't even act like it happened where I was...............
Back to Top
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 20 2011
Location: SupaFlyKingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 157796
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:


I disagree. South America is still America. His hair was nappier than mine and skin darker so why can't he be African American?  He is of African descent and living in America. And not to mention he was an Alpha. I have no problem with you pointing out you are from Belize but you had to raise your hand because it was that serious? I guess. I live in Kentucky but was not born here but I consider myself a Kentuckian because that is where I live at right now. If you have a convo with me and I need to be specific I will but other than that it really isn't worth correction.

<font #996600""="" color="">
He's Black. That doesnt make him AA. That would mean all blacks in the US are AA. Thats not the case.

And for some people, it is that serious. I would not want to be identified as AA if Im not.



Most people identify with their country of origin first, though. Maybe he calls himself Belizean American? Which I can totally understand, as long as he doesn't deny being black, as that would be his race.


Perhaps....i know of Jamaicans who identify as JamericansLOL...no, seriously. So, i can understand.



LOL, never heard the term Jamerican before.
My family in the States are Haitian-americans, not African americans. However everyone is crystal clear on being black

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jan 04 2014 at 4:09pm
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 25>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down