Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Karrine Steffans says shes not African American
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair
 

Karrine Steffans says shes not African American

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream



Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MzCaliky View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: May 27 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9421
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MzCaliky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

The funniest thing happened in grad school. We had a guest speaker who was talking about demographics and made a statement about there being two African Americans in the classroom (myself and another guy) He raised his hand to correct the speaker and told him he is not African American, he is from Belize. Okay I get it but really you had to raise your hand? Ninja you been here since you were five. Then he kept asking why I wouldn't speak when I saw him. Raising your hand to correct somebody was going too far in the middle of class. The speaker gave him a blank stare and moved on just like the rest of the white people. Once you are here you are an African American. Go figure when I went to Belize they talked that "people from the states think they have a monopoly on being Americans" Make up your mind. 


Well if the speaker referred to a Swedish-American as Italian-American would it be wrong for the person to correct him? I really don't see the difference. The fact that we share the same race does not make us the same. Me correcting someone because they inaccurately describe my cultural identity isn't a slam on everyone else from that race.

The bottom line is the term African-American assumes that your ancestors were slaves and that a significant portion of your lineage is rooted in the United States. This doesn't apply to most blacks in the world, so naturally many of them reject it.

I disagree. South America is still America. His hair was nappier than mine and skin darker so why can't he be African American?  He is of African descent and living in America. And not to mention he was an Alpha. I have no problem with you pointing out you are from Belize but you had to raise your hand because it was that serious? I guess. I live in Kentucky but was not born here but I consider myself a Kentuckian because that is where I live at right now. If you have a convo with me and I need to be specific I will but other than that it really isn't worth correction.
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 26 2008
Location: Paradise
Status: Offline
Points: 64634
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


my question is ignored once again

interesting


Samone, when I lived in another country they spoke nothing of it. I finished off elementary school there and there was more than enough time to mention Harriet Tubman. Maybe it was my school/ neighborhood but they didn't even mention history. By 4th grade here, my teacher made sure we knew our history/world history. *MY experience*

I posted this response at least 30 mins ago smh


thanks for replying

I was speaking of other countries that were affected by the slave trade and had black slaves

how is that taught or what is taught in those countries
Back to Top
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 26 2008
Location: Paradise
Status: Offline
Points: 64634
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:34pm
sh*t i just tried to answer. Anyway..what wildfire said.
Back to Top
MzCaliky View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: May 27 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9421
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MzCaliky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:



hmmm...

question, how are Indians referred to in the US? (not natives)

Some people would call them muslims.

People with sense call them Indian. 

Where I grew up we call them East Indians. 
Back to Top
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 27 2006
Location: Kingston, JA.
Status: Offline
Points: 90229
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Her first tweet was not wrong.  it's been established that African people's were in the America's (among other places) before the slave trade.  Not all black people's here come from slaves.


what? There were no Blacks here. Natives, and I'm sure many dark-skinned (tainos,ciboney,  mayans, etc), but not peoples of African ancestry

Please learn your history. Have you ever heard of Pangea?


There is no need to be rude.
That was settled 2 pages ago. And I know my history, thanks.


Edited by Wildfire - Jan 04 2014 at 3:54pm
Back to Top
Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 25 2009
Location: New York
Status: Offline
Points: 23819
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:46pm
lol... ok.


yw
Back to Top
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 27 2006
Location: Kingston, JA.
Status: Offline
Points: 90229
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


my question is ignored once again

interesting


Samone, when I lived in another country they spoke nothing of it. I finished off elementary school there and there was more than enough time to mention Harriet Tubman. Maybe it was my school/ neighborhood but they didn't even mention history. By 4th grade here, my teacher made sure we knew our history/world history. *MY experience*

I posted this response at least 30 mins ago smh


thanks for replying

I was speaking of other countries that were affected by the slave trade and had black slaves

how is that taught or what is taught in those countries


i replied Sam...couple pages backSmile...
Back to Top
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 13 2009
Location: Cambodia
Status: Offline
Points: 46891
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

The funniest thing happened in grad school. We had a guest speaker who was talking about demographics and made a statement about there being two African Americans in the classroom (myself and another guy) He raised his hand to correct the speaker and told him he is not African American, he is from Belize. Okay I get it but really you had to raise your hand? Ninja you been here since you were five. Then he kept asking why I wouldn't speak when I saw him. Raising your hand to correct somebody was going too far in the middle of class. The speaker gave him a blank stare and moved on just like the rest of the white people. Once you are here you are an African American. Go figure when I went to Belize they talked that "people from the states think they have a monopoly on being Americans" Make up your mind. 

lol.. 

He ain't want sh*t! to do with anything "African American".. that brother was offended
like "the nerve of this white man to use a politically correct over arching racial term on ME!!!"...
... White guy was probably like "uhhh ok whatever N****R"

lol



Edited by OoDles O - Jan 04 2014 at 3:52pm
Back to Top
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 27 2006
Location: Kingston, JA.
Status: Offline
Points: 90229
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:


I disagree. South America is still America. His hair was nappier than mine and skin darker so why can't he be African American?  He is of African descent and living in America. And not to mention he was an Alpha. I have no problem with you pointing out you are from Belize but you had to raise your hand because it was that serious? I guess. I live in Kentucky but was not born here but I consider myself a Kentuckian because that is where I live at right now. If you have a convo with me and I need to be specific I will but other than that it really isn't worth correction.


He's Black. That doesnt make him AA. That would mean all blacks in the US are AA. Thats not the case.

And for some people, it is that serious. I would not want to be identified as AA if Im not.

Back to Top
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 20 2011
Location: SupaFlyKingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 157006
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


my question is ignored once again

interesting


Samone, when I lived in another country they spoke nothing of it. I finished off elementary school there and there was more than enough time to mention Harriet Tubman. Maybe it was my school/ neighborhood but they didn't even mention history. By 4th grade here, my teacher made sure we knew our history/world history. *MY experience*

I posted this response at least 30 mins ago smh


thanks for replying

I was speaking of other countries that were affected by the slave trade and had black slaves

how is that taught or what is taught in those countries


It depends on which specific country you're talking about. If you're thinking of say, Jamaica, Haiti, Bahamas, Barbados, Brazil and a slew of others, yes they are aware of the history of slavery and what not and are proud of their history of survival and of having created a new culture for themselves. However, if you think of the Dominican Republic, what they are taught does not mesh with reality. I'm sure that happens also to some extent with some latin American countries where blacks are confined to a specific region or not as numerous...
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down