Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Karrine Steffans says she's not African American
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
 

Karrine Steffans says she's not African American

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 26>




The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MzCaliky View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: May 27 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9387
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MzCaliky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Her first tweet was not wrong.  it's been established that African people's were in the America's (among other places) before the slave trade.  Not all black people's here come from slaves.


what? There were no Blacks here. Natives, and I'm sure many dark-skinned (tainos,ciboney,  mayans, etc), but not peoples of African ancestry

Please learn your history. Have you ever heard of Pangea?
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member


Joined: Oct 06 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 248262
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


my question is ignored once again

interesting


Samone, when I lived in another country they spoke nothing of it. I finished off elementary school there and there was more than enough time to mention Harriet Tubman. Maybe it was my school/ neighborhood but they didn't even mention history. By 4th grade here, my teacher made sure we knew our history/world history. *MY experience*

I posted this response at least 30 mins ago smh


thanks for replying

I was speaking of other countries that were affected by the slave trade and had black slaves

how is that taught or what is taught in those countries
Back to Top
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 08 2010
Location: Ethiopia
Status: Offline
Points: 284280
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:



hmmm...

question, how are Indians referred to in the US? (not natives)

Some people would call them muslims.

People with sense call them Indian. 
Back to Top
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Apr 13 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 106269
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:25pm
this doesn't surprise me at all

a lot of people don't want to be african american...yall Brothas anyway


Back to Top
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Nov 27 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 60274
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

The funniest thing happened in grad school. We had a guest speaker who was talking about demographics and made a statement about there being two African Americans in the classroom (myself and another guy) He raised his hand to correct the speaker and told him he is not African American, he is from Belize. Okay I get it but really you had to raise your hand? Ninja you been here since you were five. Then he kept asking why I wouldn't speak when I saw him. Raising your hand to correct somebody was going too far in the middle of class. The speaker gave him a blank stare and moved on just like the rest of the white people. Once you are here you are an African American. Go figure when I went to Belize they talked that "people from the states think they have a monopoly on being Americans" Make up your mind. 

Assuming he is a US citizen he essentially is African American, "unfortunately" for him. I had a huge thread on this once. They want to have their cake and eat it too.


Edited by liesnalibis - Jan 04 2014 at 7:36pm
Back to Top
MzCaliky View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: May 27 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9387
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MzCaliky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Originally posted by MzCaliky MzCaliky wrote:

The funniest thing happened in grad school. We had a guest speaker who was talking about demographics and made a statement about there being two African Americans in the classroom (myself and another guy) He raised his hand to correct the speaker and told him he is not African American, he is from Belize. Okay I get it but really you had to raise your hand? Ninja you been here since you were five. Then he kept asking why I wouldn't speak when I saw him. Raising your hand to correct somebody was going too far in the middle of class. The speaker gave him a blank stare and moved on just like the rest of the white people. Once you are here you are an African American. Go figure when I went to Belize they talked that "people from the states think they have a monopoly on being Americans" Make up your mind. 


Well if the speaker referred to a Swedish-American as Italian-American would it be wrong for the person to correct him? I really don't see the difference. The fact that we share the same race does not make us the same. Me correcting someone because they inaccurately describe my cultural identity isn't a slam on everyone else from that race.

The bottom line is the term African-American assumes that your ancestors were slaves and that a significant portion of your lineage is rooted in the United States. This doesn't apply to most blacks in the world, so naturally many of them reject it.

I disagree. South America is still America. His hair was nappier than mine and skin darker so why can't he be African American?  He is of African descent and living in America. And not to mention he was an Alpha. I have no problem with you pointing out you are from Belize but you had to raise your hand because it was that serious? I guess. I live in Kentucky but was not born here but I consider myself a Kentuckian because that is where I live at right now. If you have a convo with me and I need to be specific I will but other than that it really isn't worth correction.
Back to Top
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member


Joined: Oct 06 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 248262
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


I asked this in another thread but what do blacks in other countries teach their kids about slavery that occurred in their country?



...here, you're taught everything i can think of....
...how blacks were brought here; when the whites came, what they did, life on the plantations; the rebellions and freedom fighters; Britain's role, how slavery was abolished, etc...

youre taught the history of slavery in the country as well as in the region

...if thats what you meant?




yes that is what I was wondering

this is not the first I have heard this from someone of caribbean descent

seems like Karrine and a few others parents failed when teaching their children about their roots

but her mother and the rest of her family failed her in many other ways as well
Back to Top
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 26 2008
Location: Paradise
Status: Offline
Points: 62470
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


my question is ignored once again

interesting


Samone, when I lived in another country they spoke nothing of it. I finished off elementary school there and there was more than enough time to mention Harriet Tubman. Maybe it was my school/ neighborhood but they didn't even mention history. By 4th grade here, my teacher made sure we knew our history/world history. *MY experience*

I posted this response at least 30 mins ago smh


thanks for replying

I was speaking of other countries that were affected by the slave trade and had black slaves

how is that taught or what is taught in those countries
Back to Top
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 26 2008
Location: Paradise
Status: Offline
Points: 62470
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:34pm
sh*t i just tried to answer. Anyway..what wildfire said.
Back to Top
MzCaliky View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: May 27 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 9387
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MzCaliky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:



hmmm...

question, how are Indians referred to in the US? (not natives)

Some people would call them muslims.

People with sense call them Indian. 

Where I grew up we call them East Indians. 
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 26>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down