Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Kandi Burruss: Stupidity of Living Glamorous Life
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kandi Burruss: Stupidity of Living Glamorous Life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kandi Burruss: Stupidity of Living Glamorous Life
    Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 4:33am

RHOA’s Kandi Burruss Describes the Stupidity of Living the Glamorous Life

Published On January 25, 2014 | By Staff
|
black people and money 

by Dr. Boyce Watkins

Just the other day, we wrote on FJT about Phaedra Parks, star of The Real Housewives of Atlanta, whose husband, Apollo Nida, was recently arrested on charges of bank fraud and identity theft.   That led to an interesting Financial Lovemaking conversation about the importance of choosing a financially-responsible mate, and also avoiding the trappings of financial gluttony.

Another RHOA star, Kandi Burruss, offers a different perspective.    During an interview on the Hot 97 Morning Show, Burruss explained that being a reality TV star is not as financially rewarding as some might think.  She also used it as a way to explain why she works to live below her means.  Here’s what she had to say, according to Madamnoire.com:

“On a new reality show they’re not making anything,” she said. “If they are getting anything, it may be like $2,500 per episode to $5,000, at the most. Most times, like say for instance the women who started out on our show, in the beginning they didn’t get anything for that first year. They got like $5,000 for the whole season just for the use of their house. When I first came on they didn’t really hardly pay me anything either. A lot of those shows do not pay a lot of money.”

Kandi mentions that anyone thinking about going into reality TV should be sure to have something to promote during their appearance.  She says that the show is more like an infomercial than anything.  I’ve heard the same things behind closed doors.  Often, reality TV shows are short-lived and aren’t very well compensated.  But people who don’t understand business become excited about the idea of being on TV without having any kind of plan for long-term financial stability.  This can be a recipe for disaster.

“This is what I always tell people: Don’t go on the show thinking you’re going to make a big lick off of the salary. Think of it more so as your infomercial. How are you going to make this show sell your business or your product. If not, you’re just going on there to make a a** of yourself.”

Kandi also said that her mother gave her a great foundation on the importance of keeping your budget in check and living below your means.  She says that just because times are good, that doesn’t mean you should live high on the hog and set yourself up for financial failure.

“I was looking at financial books and everything since I was a teenager because my mom was always, ‘Don’t put your eggs in one basket.’ And I didn’t go to college, so you get kind of scared like, ‘Okay, I’m getting all of this money right now, but what I am gonna do now?’ I didn’t want to put myself in a position where I was living so expensively that if something happened next year or two years from now and I wasn’t making the same money, I couldn’t afford my lifestyle. So that’s the first thing, you gotta live below your means.”

“Let’s say for instance if you’re just starting out, it’s some people who can afford $1,000 apartment and go get a $1,000 apartment. That would not be me. If I can afford a $1,000 apartment, I’m going to try to find a $600 apartment and save the $400 towards something I want to invest in. A lot of people handicap themselves from being able to go after their dreams because of the kind of lifestyle they  become accustomed to.”

Financial Juneteenth lessons from this story:

1) The words “rich” and “famous” don’t always go hand-in-hand.  The worst thing in the world is to be famous and have everyone think you have more money than you actually have.  This happens a lot for entertainers who have no understanding of business models.

2) Conservatism is the key to financial survival:  Unfortunately, materialistic culture promoted through music and movies promotes the opposite, leaving us looking really stupid later on down the line.

3) You must be your own business and brand in this ever-changing economic landscape:  Even if someone gives you a job, always find a way to create your own job. Kandi seems to get this, and that’s why I am proud of her.

Sponsored Links

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (18) Thanks(18)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:10am
ive always like kandi

and she's the wealthiest out of all them

see, people with money are frugal as fuuuck

you dont make money by spending yours
AmiliaCabral View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:11am
This is why I LOVE Kandi. This is practical wisdom that I almost never hear about especially from the entertainment world. She doesn't put on for nobody and only does what makes sense for her and her family. Riley is def getting that sound background that a lot of black kids don't, or maybe kids period I dunno.
*Belle*Femme* View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Belle*Femme* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 6:32am
i thought nene was the wealthiest one now out of them all?
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 6:32am
How much is nene worth? Isn't Kandi at 35+ mil?

You could be right

Edited by afrokock - Jan 26 2014 at 6:33am
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (15) Thanks(15)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 6:33am
Nene is fake rich with her rentin' ass.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 7:09am
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

i thought nene was the wealthiest one now out of them all?

I doubt it
She rents, Kandi pays cash
Kandi has a lot of song writing credits and business ventures

Nene was on one season of a scripted show
And a guest on another
She hasn't booked any other acting gigs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 7:15am
I remember her from Sole's 4 5 6.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 7:16am
Kandi is the wealthiest on the show with all her ventures.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 7:26am
^^and it sounds like she will stay the wealthiest

lol

Edited by PurplePhase - Jan 26 2014 at 7:29am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions